Author Topic: CNN poll confirms earlier Gallup poll. 62% want abortions made illegal  (Read 3191 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: CNN poll confirms earlier Gallup poll. 62% want abortions made illegal
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
No, nothing to do with that; the law is illogical.

If you kill a pregnant woman in a car accident you will be charged will double homicide in some states but when a woman chooses to do so there is no crime. This is a philosophical inconsistency that cannot be supported for reasons of logic. If however, the laws regarding double homicide were repealed it would be more consistent and no I am not going to believe in Jesus ever.
think about the inconsistencies in parental rights and the false logic it uses...that will give you even more foder for the fire

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
Uh,
Abortion is a choice made by the mother whereas getting in a car accident and dying is not a Choice made by the mother.  Also, they would be charged with Vehicular Manslaughter which does not carry too stiff a penalty in most states.
doesnt matter ass hat, both end up taking the life of an unborn child...so what if one was murdered by the mother and the other a drunk driver?

they are both murdered

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
so what changed in the last 2 years that made the long-standing public support of abortion change?

tea party took over economic end of govt... they brought their morals with them?  And why was bush unable to get majority of americans on his side of that?  It was not until 2009 that americans finally moved to majority being pro-life

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
doesnt matter ass hat, both end up taking the life of an unborn child...so what if one was murdered by the mother and the other a drunk driver?

they are both murdered
I ate the life of an unborn chicken this morning.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
 ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
think about the inconsistencies in parental rights and the false logic it uses...that will give you even more foder for the fire

This about the general misandry that is rampant in our society Tony.
I hate the State.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 06:06:32 AM »
I ate the life of an unborn chicken this morning.

Just in case you were not trying to be sarcastic:

So human life has the same worth as a chicken or any other animal.

See how stupid an atheist can be?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
Just in case you were not trying to be sarcastic:

So human life has the same worth as a chicken or any other animal.

See how stupid an atheist can be?
What makes humans so special?

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
If we had direct federal democracy this might be an issue.  As it is we don't and it isn't.  This will not be overturned and will never be overturned.  Abortion is legal and will be legal until we are all long gone and in the grave. 

Abandon every hope...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
The people over at "lifenews.com" have an interesting way of doing math

Here is the actual poll results from CNN

25% want it legal under any circumstances
53% want it legal under certain circumstances

so a whopping 78% want it legal under any/certain circumstances

As we all know abortion is not currently legal under ANY circumstance

Abortion is currently legal in the US under certain circumstances with the primary "circumstance" being prior to 24 weeks

Note the %'s on the CNN poll have not really changed that much since 2006 (the farthest back that they show date on this poll)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
it's only recent that people moved to being pro-choice as the majority.  In 2009.

Sometimes it takes years for legislation to catch up with public opinion.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
it's only recent that people moved to being pro-choice as the majority.  In 2009.

Sometimes it takes years for legislation to catch up with public opinion.

Are you with RP on this? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »
Are you with RP on this? 

whats rp position specifically?

James

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »
whats rp position specifically?

Pro Life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
Ron Paul on abortion:

The heated debate about abortion is filled with emotional pseudo-arguments that usually center on secondary considerations such as sexual morality, religious beliefs, women’s rights, or purely on pragmatic reasons: if abortion were made illegal it would still take place – under unsanitary conditions that would endanger additional lives.

However, a rational evaluation of abortion must be built upon one single question: When exactly does human life begin? At conception, at birth or somewhere in between?

Not even the most radical feminist would find it okay to tear apart a recently-born baby just because it is not wanted by its mother. All other considerations aside, the only reason many individuals can support abortion with a good conscience is because they believe it’s not murder… and that unborn babies do not count as human beings.

Ron Paul has delivered more than 4,000 babies. He believes that human life starts at conception, and that casual elimination of the unborn leads to a careless attitude towards all life.

Recalling his personal observation of a late-term abortion performed by one of his instructors during his medical residency, Ron Paul stated, “It was pretty dramatic for me to see a two-and-a-half-pound baby taken out crying and breathing and put in a bucket.”

In an Oct. 27, 1999 speech to Congress, Ron Paul said:

“I am strongly pro-life. I think one of the most disastrous rulings of this century was Roe versus Wade. I do believe in the slippery slope theory. I believe that if people are careless and casual about life at the beginning of life, we will be careless and casual about life at the end. Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.”

During a May 15, 2007, appearance on the Fox News talk show Hannity and Colmes, Ron Paul argued that his pro-life position was consistent with his libertarian values, asking, “If you can’t protect life then how can you protect liberty?” Additionally, Ron Paul said that since he believes libertarians support non-aggression, libertarians should oppose abortion because abortion is “an act of aggression” against a fetus.

At the GOP Values Voter Presidential Debate on Sep 17, 2007, Ron Paul was asked what he will do to restore legal protection to the unborn:

“As an O.B. doctor of thirty years, and having delivered 4,000 babies, I can assure you life begins at conception. I am legally responsible for the unborn, no matter what I do, so there’s a legal life there. The unborn has inheritance rights, and if there’s an injury or a killing, there is a legal entity. There is no doubt about it.”

At the GOP YouTube debate in St. Petersburg, Florida, on Nov 28, 2007, Ron Paul was asked what a women would be charged with if abortion becomes illegal and she obtains an abortion anyway:

“The first thing we have to do is get the federal government out of it. We don’t need a federal abortion police. That’s the last thing that we need. There has to be a criminal penalty for the person that’s committing that crime. And I think that is the abortionist. As for the punishment, I don’t think that should be up to the president to decide.”

For many years, Ron Paul has been speaking up for babies’ rights. He passionately defends those who cannot speak for themselves because they haven’t been born yet.

In order to “offset the effects of Roe v. Wade”, Paul voted in favor of the federal Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003. He has described partial birth abortion as a “barbaric procedure”.

At the same time, Ron Paul believes that the ninth and tenth amendments to the U.S. Constitution do not grant the federal government any authority to legalize or ban abortion. Instead, it is up to the individual states to prohibit abortion.

Many people feel very strongly about the issue of abortion, and once they make up their minds they rarely change their opinion. If you are undecided and/or open-minded, check out this page and this site for more information about abortion, including images and a description of medical procedures.

http://www.ronpaul.com/on-the-issues/abortion/

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
Are you with RP on this? 

I'm against abortion - however I feel there is no way that human can 100% define the correct answer here.

If a 10 year old girl is raped by her dad - is abortion cool then?  What about a 30 year old girl raped by a stranger?  If one is okay and one is wrong - then let's see what the exact line, age, relationship is.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »
I'm against abortion - however I feel there is no way that human can 100% define the correct answer here.

If a 10 year old girl is raped by her dad - is abortion cool then?  What about a 30 year old girl raped by a stranger?  If one is okay and one is wrong - then let's see what the exact line, age, relationship is.

So you keep talking about welfare babies right?  If the mom is too poor to afford condoms, what's the likelyhood she can scrape together 600 for an abortion?  Are there stats on who is getting these abortions?  I'd venture a guess the people getting the abortions are people that would more than likely be able to raise the kid.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
So you keep talking about welfare babies right?  If the mom is too poor to afford condoms, what's the likelyhood she can scrape together 600 for an abortion?  Are there stats on who is getting these abortions?  I'd venture a guess the people getting the abortions are people that would more than likely be able to raise the kid.

I agree.  That's partly why the argument that fewer abortions will result in more poor or abandoned kids doesn't make sense.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
So you keep talking about welfare babies right?  If the mom is too poor to afford condoms, what's the likelyhood she can scrape together 600 for an abortion?  Are there stats on who is getting these abortions?  I'd venture a guess the people getting the abortions are people that would more than likely be able to raise the kid.

I'll read this thread later (in case my post here seems out of place or incoherent)

but yea there are stats on who is getting abortions. There was a guy at....I want to say University of Chicago named.....David...someth ing I think, who argues that the reason violent crime rates were low in the early 1990s was because of the increase in abortions in the mid to late 1970s (most violent crime are committed by lower income males between the ages of 15-25, etc)

I don't really feel like spending 20 minutes googling to get the guy's name or the study, but it's in a public policy book I have, so if anybody really cares enough I'll find the book to get the specific info.

EDIT: It was actually easier to find than I thought. It was published in 2001 by Steven Levitt of University of Chicago and John Donohue of Yale
http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »

they are both murdered

Two faults of your post.

1. Assumption of personhood (you're a grad student in psychology, I shouldn't have to point out this one)

2. Assumption of never being okay to murder a person (even if personhood is admitted) A possible objection here would be > what about self-defense? (the just killing of a person)

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »
I'll read this thread later (in case my post here seems out of place or incoherent)

but yea there are stats on who is getting abortions. There was a guy at....I want to say University of Chicago named.....David...someth ing I think, who argues that the reason violent crime rates were low in the early 1990s was because of the increase in abortions in the mid to late 1970s (most violent crime are committed by lower income males between the ages of 15-25, etc)

I don't really feel like spending 20 minutes googling to get the guy's name or the study, but it's in a public policy book I have, so if anybody really cares enough I'll find the book to get the specific info.

EDIT: It was actually easier to find than I thought. It was published in 2001 by Steven Levitt of University of Chicago and John Donohue of Yale
http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf

We went over that in my class as well and I think that study has been pretty well put to rest.  At least in regard to the correlation!=causation.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »
I promise you that the United States and the rest of the World does not need any more humans, rich or poor.