Author Topic: Jones/Page. Who ya got?  (Read 2818 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Jones/Page. Who ya got?
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
Anyone going with Rampage here?  Honestly, i'd say he's got a little bit more of a puncher's chance here.  The problem he's gonna face is that if he stays outside on Jones, he (page) won't land anything.  SO, he's gotta move in.  In moving in on Jones though, Jones will ideally wanna set up a tai clinch and unleash those knees. 

I see this maybe lasting into the 2nd round. 

Jones TKO 2nd round.     I have a feeling Page knows this is coming his way too.

suckmymuscle

Re: Jones/Page. Who ya got?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:19:49 AM »
Anyone going with Rampage here?  Honestly, i'd say he's got a little bit more of a puncher's chance here.  The problem he's gonna face is that if he stays outside on Jones, he (page) won't land anything.  SO, he's gotta move in.  In moving in on Jones though, Jones will ideally wanna set up a tai clinch and unleash those knees.  

I see this maybe lasting into the 2nd round.  

Jones TKO 2nd round.     I have a feeling Page knows this is coming his way too.

Coltrane, I will stop hating on you and take your question seriously. I was going to start a thread on this. What I am going to say now will no doubt make me the subject of ridicule but I am going to say it anyway: I think Jon Jones is overrated. He is supremely athletic, yes, but being the most athletic guy does not necessarily make you the best fighter. Anderson Silva is more athletic than Chael Sonnen and if it weren't for that last minute submission, Chael would have won if it went to a decision. Everyone is awed by Jones speed and coordination and forgets that he hasn't faced any serious opponent. The best he's fought is Stephen Bonnar, and he can't bust a grape. Sure, he's fought Shogun, but Shogun was coming from knee surgery and hadn't fought in almost two years. Also, Shogun doesen't have the reach to fight Jones. He couldn't even get close to Jones. This is, in fact, the fundamental problem with Shogun fighting Jones: if Shogun could get close to Jones' head he could have won. Whilst Rampage's reach is not much greater than Shogun, Rampage is more athletic and fast and will no doubt close in. What will happen when Jones gets hit really hard? Before we proclaim Jones as this live super-hero, we first need to answer a few questions:

1. Can he take a seriously strong punch to the chin and remain standing?

2. What about cardio? He always finishes fights in the first round. What if the fight goes the distance? Will he crumble after 3 rounds or such?

3. On the ground, despite being a superb wrestler, can he avoid being defeated by a grappler who is great at catching submissions from his back?

Until we answer these questions and see Jones face someone with real KO power that he can't just keep at a distance from him and a BJJ guy who is great at submitting wrestlers, it is premature to call him this invincible force of doom that came to dominate all. He has the potential to be the GOAT, but not yet.

Answering your question, it all boils down to KO power. Jones will almost certainly win as he is superior to Rampage in everything from athleticism to his ground game. But Rampage's KO power gives him a serious shot. If Rampage closes in and connects, he can knock any man out. Anyone. Rampage is one of the hardest hitters in the history of MMA and certainly of the light-heavyweighr division. Jones has an 80% chance of winning this fight. It would be 100% if Rampage didn't have such insane KO power. His KO power gives him a 20% chance of winning by connecting.

Jones 80%

Rampage 20%

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
Honestly, I'm at work posting this stuff.  I don't have the time to respond to all that bud..

You make great points.  Jones' chin is untested and actually, I hope that it does get tested, just so we see where he stands.  But in reality, what fighter DOES take a "seriously strong punch to the chin" and remain standing.  Not many.

Overall, i think Jones is too athletic and long limbed for Page.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »
Since when Is Rampage a great bjj guy who can submit guys from his back  ??? He's a one dimensional head hunter. Whens the last time the guy even threw a leg kick? He's gonna get his ass kicked unless he can connect with one of his hooks.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
Page is very one-dimensional.  SMM tends to sway towards the old school Pride guys for whatever reason.

This may be a fight that I put some money down on.  Page has a puncher's chance..  and that's it.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
Page is very one-dimensional.  SMM tends to sway towards the old school Pride guys for whatever reason.

This may be a fight that I put some money down on.  Page has a puncher's chance..  and that's it.

I like all the old pride guys. Rampage was funner to watch in pride. He never tried anything different since coming to the ufc. He just plods forward and looks for the counter.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Page is hit or miss, however even on his best day i find it difficult to believe he stands any kind of chance against Jones. He does ofcourse have incredible power in his fists but he has to get near him to even be in a position to land on him, and i cant see it happening. This fight wont go past 2 rounds, im afraid that Bones will steamroll this one IMO.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
The only change Rampage has is the KO.  I honestly don't see it happening.  I see Jones taking him down for a round or two and tiring him out and finishing him off.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
Since when Is Rampage a great bjj guy who can submit guys from his back  ??? He's a one dimensional head hunter. Whens the last time the guy even threw a leg kick? He's gonna get his ass kicked unless he can connect with one of his hooks.

You have terrible reading comprehension. This seems to be a recurring theme with you. You have become an expert at picking straws in my posts and then attacking them.

Read what I wrote. I said Jones still has to be tested against fighters with great KO power who he can't keep at a safe distance or guys with great BJJ who are great at getting submission from their back. Nowhere did I claim that Rampage is a great BJJ guy.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »

PRIDE fighters won all their fights at UFC 134. This has nothing to do with preference. It just so happens that former PRIDE fighters are really good. Even after all these years, PRIDE fighters are still at the top. Anderson rules the middleweights, Shogun is top 2 at light-heavyweight and Big Nog, despite having gone through all these surgeries and being past his prime, is still able to knock out younger and bigger opponents. For what it's worth, I have been watching MMA since the very first UFC back in 1993, and I do think that PRIDE was the best MMA organization in the World from it's inception in 1997 until it went under in 2007. The UFC is a notch beneath PRIDE, although it is several notches above all other promotions we have today.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:58 AM »
I hope Rampage wins.  Bones needs some humility.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
 PRIDE fighters won all their fights at UFC 134. This has nothing to do with preference. It just so happens that former PRIDE fighters are really good. Even after all these years, PRIDE fighters are still at the top. Anderson rules the middleweights, Shogun is top 2 at light-heavyweight and Big Nog, despite having gone through all these surgeries and being past his prime, is still able to knock out younger and bigger opponents. For what it's worth, I have been watching MMA since the very first UFC back in 1993, and I do think that PRIDE was the best MMA organization in the World from it's inception in 1997 until it went under in 2007. The UFC is a notch beneath PRIDE, although it is several notches above all other promotions we have today.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Dude.  I don't give a flying fuck who won where and in what year.  I live in the present.  I watch the fights occuring today.  You're absolutely living in the past.  Pride, UFC, SF, who cares!  I don't.  Don't clutter my threads with your banality.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Jones by whatever he wants in whatever round he wants.

If he fights the faggy Greg Jackson way, this could be a snoozefest of a lopsided decision win.

If he fights to finish Page, he could end it in round 1.

My personal opinion: Jones by gnp in round 2

Rampage has a punchers chance and that's all. I think that he will get frustrated with Jones staying in the pocket and using his obscene reach advantage-- rush in without discipline and maybe land a serious punch or two. However, unless Jones is made of glass, Rampage will pay the price and get finished.

That being said, I am rooting for Rampage hard.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »

If he fights the faggy Greg Jackson way, this could be a snoozefest of a lopsided decision win.

Rampage has a punchers chance and that's all. I think that he will get frustrated with Jones staying in the pocket and using his obscene reach advantage-- rush in without discipline and maybe land a serious punch or two. However, unless Jones is made of glass, Rampage will pay the price and get finished.

x2

suckmymuscle

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Dude.  I don't give a flying fuck who won where and in what year.  I live in the present.  I watch the fights occuring today.  You're absolutely living in the past.  Pride, UFC, SF, who cares!  I don't.  Don't clutter my threads with your banality.

Coltrane, you make it hard for me not to hate you. Why the 'tude, dude? Read what I said. I said that former PRIDE fighters won all their fights at UFC 134. That was a couple weeks ago, dude. I am not living in the past. PRIDE fighters are still some of the best today, which is incredible since the sport has progressed.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

That being said, I am rooting for Rampage hard.

George, you are seriously underestimating the awesomeness that is Quinton Rampage Jackson. This is the guy who got kneed to the head in the clinch several times by a juiced Wandy in his prime and kept on fighting. This guy is a warrior. Jon Jones is supremely athletic and physically gifted, but there is no evidence that he has bricks in his hand. In the Shogun fight he connected to Shogun's chin multiple times and couldn't close the deal. It was a TKO and not a KO. Rampage definitely has a chance. A guy with his chin, fists and heart always has.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »
  George, you are seriously underestimating the awesomeness that is Quinton Rampage Jackson. This is the guy who got kneed to the head in the clinch several times by a juiced Wandy in his prime and kept on fighting. This guy is a warrior. Jon Jones is supremely athletic and physically gifted, but there is no evidence that he has bricks in his hand. In the Shogun fight he connected to Shogun's chin multiple times and couldn't close the deal. It was a TKO and not a KO. Rampage definitely has a chance. A guy with his chin, fists and heart always has.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Your right about Rampage being awesome(in Pride).  The problem is that Rampage hasn't impressed anyone since joining the UFC (aside from the Wandy knockout)  The aggressive Rampage has been missing for years.  What happened to his ground game?  Where are his trademark slams?  If he can muster up some of the "old Rampage" then hes got a shot.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:01 AM »
Your right about Rampage being awesome(in Pride).  The problem is that Rampage hasn't impressed anyone since joining the UFC (aside from the Wandy knockout)  The aggressive Rampage has been missing for years.  What happened to his ground game?  Where are his trademark slams?  If he can muster up some of the "old Rampage" then hes got a shot.

Took the words out of my mouth, im a huge Rampage fan but he hasnt exactly been stellar. Machida dominated him, Griffin whooped him and he was unable to put away both Jardine & Hammill. His "whoop yo ass" days are long gone.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 03:27:19 AM »
I'm not underestimating him-- I'm just being realistic.

Nobody is a bigger rampage fan than me.

And while he hasn't had any trademark wins in the UFC outside of Chuck and Hendo-- He is still very dangerous.

Rampage is a one dimensional brawler --he is severely outmatched in the reach department, has a seriously inferior ground game+ Jones is faster, more versatile, more unpredictable, bigger and stronger.

On top of that Jones is disciplined. I doubt he will leave himself open or get reckless to the point where Rampage can capitalize.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 05:36:13 AM »
I'm not underestimating him-- I'm just being realistic.

Nobody is a bigger rampage fan than me.

And while he hasn't had any trademark wins in the UFC outside of Chuck and Hendo-- He is still very dangerous.

Rampage is a one dimensional brawler --he is severely outmatched in the reach department, has a seriously inferior ground game+ Jones is faster, more versatile, more unpredictable, bigger and stronger.

On top of that Jones is disciplined. I doubt he will leave himself open or get reckless to the point where Rampage can capitalize.

I don't get it,  He made himself a one dimensional brawler.  I remember watching him in Pride where he spent half the match on the ground.  He used takedowns, slammed dudes unconscious, and was every bit as aggressive as a prime Wandy.  Now its just "mr. boxer stance".

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 07:18:02 AM »
SMM:  I have no attitude.  I just get tired of hearing constantly about Pride this and Pride that.  Just focus on the fights and not what org someone fought in like 10 years ago.  It gets old bro.  

Page is one dimensional and I haven't really seen anything lately that proves otherwise.  Yes, he pulled off a decision against Machida..  but look at his next fight.  He barely beat a slow and horrible fighter in Hammil.  And don't get me wrong..  I love Page's mouth and attitude, and would love to see Jones tested.

Jones has shown he is on another level than these other guys.  You can pick apart and make excuses for all the fighters he's faced, but one thing is constant, and that is that Jones has annihilated them all.  No one was even close in hurting Jones in any of the fights.  

Jones will have his way with Page.  

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm going with Jones in round 2.

He'll survive the initial Rampage onslaught, then put on a clinic until he decides to end it.