Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 165125 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
I know that I have managed to put nearly a 1/2 inch on my arms since he started his *experiment* ~ so one would hope that he has done something "positive..."

If nothing else, he got me motivated.

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #326 on: October 05, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
which would be really pointless in regard to all the claims he made so far.

which is why "elvis has left the building"  :)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:43 PM »
which is why "elvis has left the building"  :)

Vince Basile is on a business trip to Europe, err i mean off to Silicon Valley to crash Steve Jobs' funeral.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #328 on: October 06, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
Right after the Olympiad all manner of nonsense is posted on Getbig. My thread was the exception, of course. I am having a go but I swear I am taking it easy because as I get stronger the aches and pains start appearing. I don't want an injury so am proceeding cautiously. I started out with 15 reps with 5 plates in the lying triceps extensions and am now doing more reps with 7 plates. Not bad for a couple of weeks hitting the iron. I was sick for almost a week so my arm workouts have been on the 4th day. I was reading what Bruce Randall said about training arms and he felt he could train his every day and make gains. Well, those days of fast recovery are long gone for me. I go partly by how my joints and connective tissue are feeling and train accordingly. Not the best feedback but there you are. This is a bold experiment even by Getbig standards. When I have something positive to report I will post it here.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #329 on: October 06, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
Right after the Olympiad all manner of nonsense is posted on Getbig. My thread was the exception, of course. I am having a go but I swear I am taking it easy because as I get stronger the aches and pains start appearing. I don't want an injury so am proceeding cautiously. I started out with 15 reps with 5 plates in the lying triceps extensions and am now doing more reps with 7 plates. Not bad for a couple of weeks hitting the iron. I was sick for almost a week so my arm workouts have been on the 4th day. I was reading what Bruce Randall said about training arms and he felt he could train his every day and make gains. Well, those days of fast recovery are long gone for me. I go partly by how my joints and connective tissue are feeling and train accordingly. Not the best feedback but there you are. This is a bold experiment even by Getbig standards. When I have something positive to report I will post it here.

Remember Vince, I challenged the statement that you made when you said that age was no barrier in developing muscle size and strength and even claimed it was an advantage independent of increase training knowledge, better nutrition and better equipment. These hindrances you are experiencing (slower recovery, joint pain, reduced intensity, even the lack of motivation and drive) are simply a result of age. If I tried to match the training program I was following 15 years ago I wouldn't last 10 days. I still feel I train with far greater intensity than just about everybody I see and observe in my gym, including the competitive bodybuilders, but I have still cut back drastically on workout intensity then what I use to do. Partly it's lack of will, aversion to pain, and just being old. If I can still knock out a few force reps, some partials, maybe a drop set but I still don't do it with the same cognitive effort, the sheer force of will and drive, that I use to. 

Big difference between localize recovery and systemic recovery.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #330 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »
Pellius, at least it is warm where you are. We have just gone through our cool season and it really hasn't warmed up yet.

I used to post on Hypertrophy Specific Training. Bryan Haycock and others there were familiar with the latest research in exercise science but these guys were hardly what I call bodybuilders. Bryan stated that he couldn't get any bigger. I found that preposterous. I am sure I could get him bigger if he did what I told him.

Anyway, they talked about recovery and various kinds of nervous exhaustion. I really wondered about such concepts. To avoid nervous exhaustion they suggested that one avoids going to the limit in sets. Stop a rep or more from your limit. Well, I found that suggestion foolish. Why? Well, logically, it seems obvious to me that the muscles need a reason to grow. Not going to your limit is unwise because why should the muscle grow if you are not taxing it enough? It won't. Not past a certain stage. Beginners might benefit from sub-maximal training but intermediate and advanced trainees need more intensity. So I do all my sets to the maximum limit and that includes warmup sets. My reps go from about 50 down to about 10 during my triceps workouts. I stop when movement is not possible. I don't do negatives at the moment but that is another avenue I can take later if my gains stop.

The reason I am taking it easy is because I damaged my right elbow from javelin throwing. Then I aggravated the injury doing heavy pullovers with 250 pounds. I reinjured the elbows about 12 years ago during the first experiment when I placed my elbows on the pads. Don't ever do that for any kind of arm training. You will have tender elbows ever afterwards. Now I have to really warm up with several high rep light sets before I can do the heavy sets. Somehow that pump allows me to keep training heavy and it astonishes me that the body can do that. However, who knows how much further damage is being done to the connective tissue? I still feel my muscles can grow rapidly, even at my age. Time will tell if I can pull this one off. I have 11 and 1/2 months to go.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
Vince good job keep it up, its never too late to turn pro

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: October 06, 2011, 04:03:45 AM »
Vince, I had no idea you believe in training to failure and even use intensity variables (negatives). When I first started training formal weight training in the early 70s I got all my info from the muscle mags and everything was about number of sets (the more the better) and the pump. When I was 18, already out on my own supporting myself working as a security guard at an up scale condo The Esplanade, one of the the residents, Hank Grundman, who had recently opened a Nautilus Training Facility on the island. He saw some hint that I lifted weights and we had talks about training. That's when he told me he owned a gym and explained the principles of the Nautilus machines and it's training theories. Of course, I ate all this all up and hung on his every word. After one of our conversations he came back about fifteen minutes later and he gave me a book. Just a medium size red cover book with a picture on the cover of some ordinary person and some machine I had never seen and no idea what it was for. He told if I read that book I'll know more about resistance training than 90% of the people out there. That's all I needed to know and immediately started devouring the book. The little book changed my life and my whole view on weight training. Everything seemed to make so much logical sense.  It was a series of bulletins written by a man named Arthur Jones. Soon after that Mike Mentzer came on the scene and told about his experiences with Jones. I read and followed everyone of his articles. The rest is history.

Edit: I just googled Hank Grundman Nautilus and found that he was very involved and the first sponsor of the original IronMan event held in Hawaii. He's mentioned in the second paragraph in this article.

http://irunmaude.blogspot.com/2009/04/history-of-ironmanthe-beginning.html

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #333 on: October 06, 2011, 04:27:10 AM »
Vince, I had no idea you believe in training to failure and even use intensity variables (negatives). When I first started training formal weight training in the early 70s I got all my info from the muscle mags and everything was about number of sets (the more the better) and the pump. When I was 18, already out on my own supporting myself working as a security guard at an up scale condo The Esplanade, one of the the residents, Hank Grundman, who had recently opened a Nautilus Training Facility on the island. He saw some hint that I lifted weights and we had talks about training. That's when he told me he owned a gym and explained the principles of the Nautilus machines and it's training theories. Of course, I ate all this all up and hung on his every word. After one of our conversations he came back about fifteen minutes later and he gave me a book. Just a medium size red cover book with a picture on the cover of some ordinary person and some machine I had never seen and no idea what it was for. He told if I read that I'll know more about resistance training than 90% of the people out there. That's all I needed to know and immediately started devouring the book. The little book changed my life and my whole view on weight training. Everything seemed to make so much logical sense.  It was a series of bulletins written by a man named Arthur Jones. Soon after that Mike Mentzer came on the scene and told about his experiences with Jones. I read and followed everyone of his articles. The rest is history.

Edit: I just googled Hank Grundman Nautilus and found that he was very involved and the first sponsor of the original IronMan event held in Hawaii. He's mentioned in the second paragraph in this article.

http://irunmaude.blogspot.com/2009/04/history-of-ironmanthe-beginning.html

I'm curious man, are you familiar with AJ's and Mentzer's later training recommendations ie. ultra low volume and training frequency? And if so, what are your thoughts on their final training recommendations?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #334 on: October 06, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
While Ray Mentzer certainly maintained his large physique with brief, intense and heavy workouts I doubt many can get his size through that process. Arthur was mistaken about how muscles contract and he seemed to have ignored the sliding filament theory. Well, he dismissed all of the exercise scientists in those days. If you are mistaken about how muscles contract then it is unlikely that you will find the right theory for hypertrophy. At best, Arthur found part of it but he did influence many people who trained. He definitely influenced exercise machine designs and what a good effect that was.

Ellington Darden is continuing the HIT or high intensity training methods on his site. I honestly don't believe it is right. Sure, you can make some gains using it and some people swear by it. However, I doubt it will lead to maximum hypertrophy. Larry Scott was around before Arthur and he had a vastly different method for hypertrophy. I think many of us combined what Larry wrote with what Arthur was saying. Looking back I am sure that is why I fell short. Big muscles are good at doing multiple sets of a reasonably heavy weight. We found out a long time ago that strength goes up with size but not necessarily in proportion. Some strong guys were not that big. Mike MacDonald could bench over 600 pounds but his arms were about 16 1/2 inches. The vast majority of huge bodybuilders got that way doing volume with reasonably heavy resistances. That is the forumula in a nutshell. I think most of the big guys ended up training bodyparts twice a week. Doing high intensity brief workouts is not going to build superman muscles. You will probably get injured long before you reach your goal.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »

I'm curious man, are you familiar with AJ's and Mentzer's later training recommendations ie. ultra low volume and training frequency? And if so, what are your thoughts on their final training recommendations?

I didn't hear much from Jones after he sold Nautilus. I just remember one comment he made about the adjustments he would make to his original theory and that was, not surprisingly, to train less. I think he recommended training twice a week one body part/week.

Mentzer, with his consolidation program just simply went off the deep end. No matter what claims he made about his clients, it was never substantiated. Those that did give it an honest go, like Brian Johnson, said what everybody else said that lived in the real world, and that was most did gain strength but they actually lost muscle and got horrible soft and out of shape.

That confirmed what I was beginning to suspect from personal experience: that though there is a correlation between size and strength there is often not a direct causation. One can indeed get stronger in the sense of moving more weight, but more is involved in moving weight than just bigger muscles. But it is absolutely true that the bigger the muscle the stronger it will be. So one must strive for progression but you absolutely must vary the stimuli. But even then, even under perfect conditions: perfect training, perfect diet, perfect recovery..., you reach a sticking point pretty quick. The human body for most is simply not designed to carry a lot of muscle mass. And there is a good reason for it. You can be big and fat or lean and small naturally. For the average person, when they see a lean body -- lean enough so you can see all the muscle clearly defined -- they think you are big (never in clothes, though). I thought Bruce Lee was huge. When I first saw him flexing in the movies I thought he looked just like those guys in the muscle mags. I think it's just more common to see big doughy guys then sharply ripped ones where the muscles are clearly visible. So it has more of a shock value and more impressive to the untrained eye.

At 5'7" 140lbs this guy was considered to be very muscular and was known as Little Hercules.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »
Pellius is continuing the debate so I will respond to things he has posted. Let us accept that he is above average in intelligence, education and experience. While young and impressionable he met a gym owner who clued him in about hypertrophy training. The bible in those days was written by Arthur Jones. It was logical, detailed, and convincing. Everything Arthur said made sense and fit into his overall ideas about intensity being the trigger for more hypertrophy. Arthur had amply demonstrated his methods on a huge Sergio Oliva who grew even bigger while Arthur was training him. If we needed proof that Nautilus methods worked then that had to be it. The Colorado Experiment involving a deconditioned Casey Viator impressed hardly anyone in the Irongame. Muscle memory, maybe drugs and genetics helped explain his amazing gains in one month. He was supposed to have lost bodyfat but the photos aren't convincing.

Just about everyone who was training in the 60s-70s was influenced by what Arthur Jones wrote. Heck, people even read his ads in IronMan Magazine. Arthur used Hans Selye's Stress theory to convince us that we needed time to recover. That was a fact of physiology and no one disputed this claim. Along came Mike Mentzer and Ellington Darden who developed Arthur's system for their readers. At the time it appeared that HIT would replace the 'conventional' method because it was more effective and more efficient. In other words, HIT worked and you spent less time in the gym. The smart guys embraced HIT while the knuckleheads were unconvinced and stuck with what they knew. This included Arnold. HIT didn't dominate and today it is a minor method compared to the various volume methods.

Bodybuilders might collectively be a bit thick but they have a lot of experience and they repeat what works for them. Hypertrophy might be relatively easy to obtain if you persist for several years in a gym. In the old days it took perhaps 10 years to be big enough to win some contests. Of course, there were a few exceptions and they were big relatively young. Casey Viator was huge at 19. Arnold was huge at 19. However, the vast majority of bodybuilders had to struggle to get to the intermediate level and few transcended it to be advanced bodybuilders. Yes, steroids did enter the picture in those years and by 1970 you had to use them to win a national contest. It was a reckless thing to do because the medical profession insisted they didn't work and they had dangerous side effects and might even cause cancer. The vast majority of bodybuilders in the 60s gave steroids a miss. I am talking about people training at home and in hardcore gyms. Eventually everyone noticed that the big guys weren't dropping dead so the side effect myth was dismissed more or less. In those days you seldom saw anyone with gynocomastia. That is because most guys were going off the steroids and were supervised by doctors. Testosterone was not something anyone would take because of the virilizing effects. Stacking was pretty much unheard of. Dianabol and Decadurabolin were the drugs of choice in LA. Those who did not like injections never found out what Deca could do for them. After I won the Mr Canada contest in 1970 in Vancouver, I met Dr Michael Walczak and he told me I could be Mr Universe within 6 months by following his treatments and training hard in LA. I never accepted his invitation and I never won Mr Universe, either! He was the doctor that many of the muscleheads used in LA for their gear.

Nautilus Machines were popular in America and elsewhere and Arthur became a multi-millionaire through that business. The muscleheads pretty much ignored his advices and stuck to what worked in the gym. At Golds in Venice they had many of the major manufacturers donate equipment lines because potential franchaise owners would go there to select gym equipment. The Nautilus machines were installed in the second room and you never had to wait to use them. It was a different story for Flex, Icanian and Hammer equipment. Somehow the Nautilus machines were not embraced by the bodybuilders. They insisted that free weights were the core for successful bodybuilding. Of course they needed machines for calves and legs so these were used to good effect at Golds and elsewhere.  Arthur was unable to convince the muscleheads and out of frustration Arthur wiped his hands of these dummies and concentrated on sports and general training. He sold Nautilus then opened Medx and came out with a new line of machines. Again, the muscleheads more or less did what they have always done. Free weights, pulleys and some machines for legs. The Hammer machines were liked but in truth, only a few were really effective. Gym owners thought the whole line must be good so today you see many of these machines that hardly anyone uses. The chest machines established them as excellent machines and that gave the whole line a reputation.

Is it any wonder that the vast majority of bodybuilders are confused? Whatever are they supposed to believe? Everyone who lifts weights will read some of the muscle magazines. In addition there are publications galore about bodybuilding and most people have read a few of these as well. That is why just about everyone who lifts weights believes he needs more protein and other supplements. That isn't what is written for graduate students in nutrition at our best universities. No matter, these beliefs are passed on via word of mouth and reinforced through the impressive ads in magazines. If you look up to someone in a gym and he is way bigger than you then you tend to accept what he says about training. You also watch what he does and eventually you copy his exact exercises. That is why I still see guys doing triceps pressdowns with those ropes. A total waste of time but they do this. Instead of using the ab machines many will use the rope and do kneeling crunches. Ah, so many waste so much time and effort in gyms. The raw and inescapable truth is clearly that the vast majority of trainees are NOT growing at any one time. Why is this? If methods evolve and you accept what works for you then how come you remain on plateaus for most of the year? Not many can explain this phenomenon. HIT experts insist trainees need more rest to recover. Mike Mentzer trained people and reported that everyone grew better when he scheduled workouts to be further apart. Sometimes he would have them training a bodypart once every two weeks. The rank and file musclehead dismisses this as hogwash. The general consensus is to train a bodypart twice a week. Once really hard and the other to get a pump.

Let us look at hypertrophy training from a logical point of view. I think it has to be accepted as self-evident that the muscle will grow if and only if it has a reason to do so. There is an equivalence principle in hypertrophy. You can do several things that will stimulate muscle growth. For calves, you can go for a long hike. You can put a backpack on and walk up and down hills. You can do various protocols in the gym with machines or partners. Many methods can result in hypertrophy. What bodybuilders have discovered is some methods are better than others. Thus, gym training is superior to other methods to build muscle. It all comes down to getting direct mechanical tension on a target muscle for a certain length of time and of a certain intensity. You repeat this process at intervals and use progressive resistance to give the muscles a reason to grow.

A reason to grow = hypertrophy stimulus. A problem for HIT enthusiasts is known as the RBE or Repeated Bout Effect. Scientists found that high intensity training would result in adaptations that would persist. If you retrained a muscle with the same protocol say in a week then nothing further would happen in the muscle. It already adapted to that protocol and no further adaptation was possible. How then to get around this frustrating problem?

We need to visit HST to see what they say about exercise science. Hypertrophy Specific Training is owned by Bryan Haycock. That is what we all are trying to do. He and his associates have read the exercise literature and come up with principles that work. According to them protein synthesis is completed in the muscles approximately 36 hours after a workout. For practical reasons they suggest training a muscle every 48 hours. If we take this principle and incorporate it then that means retraining muscles every second day. The trouble is that this isn't what we find the really big guys doing. So what gives here? Unfortunately, much of the stuff done by the pros is contaminated because they use drugs and plenty of them. They can recover from workouts that might put a natural in the hospital.

Training every 48 hours might avoid the repeated bout effect. If so then this is another reason to embrace this schedule. Is there anything else we can consider? Yes, and this is the feedback we get from growing tissue. Those of us who have had a layoff know that we get sore when we hit the gym again. Everyone knows this and it is an unpleasant experience. There has been a lot of research to find ways to lessen or avoid the DOMS soreness. DOMS stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It appears on the day after hard training and can persist for several days. Some experts suggest waiting for the soreness to evaporate before training the muscle again. The worry is that one might damage a sore muscle. Well, that is pure speculation. I wondered about this and used a thought experiment for the answer. Suppose our ancient ancesters in Africa went out hunting one day and encountered an animal and a struggle followed that left the man totally exhausted and without any food. The next day this guy would awake and have very sore muscles. Would he be able to go out and encounter another animal and get food to survive? Clearly this must be possible. So, even though sore from an intense event it is still possible to exert the muscles in a maximum fashion. Our survival depended on this capacity. Thus, the bodybuilder with sore muscles can retrain them after a day with no worries at all. The repeated bout effect will be avoided and perhaps it is easier to keep a muscle sore than to get it sore. If soreness is a side-effect of muscle hypertrophy then sustaining the soreness will stimulate more growth. It is possible to do this for weeks at a time and have rapid growth during this time. For evidence we go to the fowl experiments of Dr Jose Antonio. He was able to cause the anterior latisimus dorsi muscle of his experimental birds to grow 300% in one month! He added resistance to one wing every 3rd day. That is also the likely optimal time to retrain a muscle. There is sufficient time for healing and growth in the two rest days. It may be that different muscles need different schedules. There is evidence that many bodybuilders have had success with training calves daily or even every second day.

What I am writing here are conjectures based on personal experience. Ultimately it is pure anecdote as far as science goes. That doesn't mean it is unlikely to be true. Only that there is no compelling supporting evidence that it is true. Pellius and the other resident experts will assess what is written here via their personal beliefs, ideas, methods and experience. I am claiming that this method has not been systematically tried by scientists or muscleheads. It is something new and it makes bold predictions. It can explain why the vast majority of bodybuilders are not growing. It can explain why most grow imperceptibly slowly taking many years to see results.

At the moment I am proceeding in the experiment and have progressed reasonably well so far. Remember that I tore a right biceps doing a stupid deadlift in 1977. I was trying to set a gym record and tore the biceps so that I can't do supination any more with any resistance. Curse those deadlifts. Don't do them. And don't see how much you can lift. Ronnie Coleman and Dorian Yates both lifted too heavy and paid the price for being reckless. I also have sore elbows and so arm training is a delicate process. As I advance and use heavier resistances I am risking injury. Pellius was surprised that I always go to my limit in every set I do. Again, you have to give the muscle a reason to be bigger. Heck, you have to give it a reason to stay the same size. That is all that most guys do when training in the gym. No soreness = no rapid growth. To test if this is true try to get your biceps sore and see if they grow. Hard to do but you will be delighted at the growth. What I have been doing is warming up thoroughly then staying at the maximum resistance for up to 6 sets. I rest plenty between sets so that I can still do over 10 reps. By the 3rd set you will usually find the reps have decreased. If you start at 20 reps you will be down to 10 by the 3rd set. Not sure what that is but it always happens to me. If you take short rests then you won't be able to do many reps at all. When you have stimulated hypertrophy your muscle will be swollen, hard, and you will be sweating and shaking during your hard reps. There is no easy way to get bigger muscles. The bigger the muscle, then more effort will be required to make it grow.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Dont you have better things to do at "69" than arguing with guys half or less you age and creating "online logs"?  ::)

I love when someone asks this question. I can't speak for Vince, but being retired and 67 years old myself, I have more time on my hands than I would hope you younger folks would have to jack around on the Internet. So to me the real question should be, are some younger folks here so lacking a life that they spend excessive amounts of time posting often unpleasant and hateful messages on an Internet forum?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: October 06, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »
I said I thought I could still build muscle at my age and completely natural and without any supplements whatever. I am into the experiment now and completed my 4th arm workout today. Training only arms at the moment. Biceps and triceps supersets. Ending in 6 sets with the maximum resistance. Progressing rapidly which is almost scary! Mostly regaining some of my former size. I am confident I can get bigger arms than I have previouly had. Should be an interesting experiment. I will show you guys because I need a strong incentive to keep this training going. So far there is no hint of any diminished response to hypertrophy training. This is what I predicted for myself. I can't say it would be the same for everyone else. I won't even consider using any drugs or supplements. This is a purely natural experiment to show what is possible as one gets older.

Are you still only training arms, Vince? How often do you train them and for how long?  Don't you think that "muscle memory" will kick in an be responsible for some of your initial gains?

I train my whole body, each muscle group only once per week. Of course my arms aren't where I'd like them to be by a long shot but then, neither is any other part of my body.

I don't know about you, I started training as a really skinny teenager. In my mind's eye, I am still that same skinny kid only fifty years older despite that I weigh 215 @ 5'11" with (my guess) about 12% body-fat. Size was and is still my main goal. I actually panic when I don't train and start losing weight, which is exactly what happens if I don't train.

Some young dudes on Getbig think you have to be under thirty or forty if you're bodybuilding. I cannot wait for them to walk in my gym shoes. There are some dudes at my gym ten years older than I am and they are still there training several days a week. They don't look like their old bodybuilding photos up on the wall anymore, but they still look jacked compared to other guys their age. That's my inspiration!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
I won't take vitamins or any other supplements. Should sound crazy to most muscle heads.

Not taking vitamins does sound a bit crazy to me. Does this also mean you aren't supplementing diet with some protein powder? There is no way I can eat enough protein to grow if I don't have a couple or three protein drinks a day. My appetite just isn't that big.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #340 on: October 06, 2011, 11:00:12 PM »
bla bla bla bla bla

Did not read your bullshit, but you really look great in that shot, what was your cycle, training and diet then?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #341 on: October 06, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
Most bodybuilders don't age that well. Those who keep up the training can retain some of their size but many lose that hypertrophy. When I was in my prime there were several guys who impressed me. Larry Scott, Sergio Oliva, Casey Viator and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Arnold has lost much of his former size. Even his calves have shrunk. Sergio has wasted away. Larry still has some biceps but looks small in clothes. Casey still has big arms and huge forearms but looks very bulky. He is much younger than I am. Casey is the exception possibly because he still lifts heavy and regularly.

Judging from these photos, in my opinion, Larry Scott looks the best. Of course, unlike the photo of Arnold, Larry is clothed....so this may not be an absolutely fair comparison. Still Larry looks healthy and fit, Arnold, not so much.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #342 on: October 06, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
Did not read your bullshit, but you really look great in that shot, what was your cycle, training and diet then?

X2. Stats? Height and weight? (No homo, good lord no homo!)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #343 on: October 07, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »
X2. Stats? Height and weight? (No homo, good lord no homo!)

For a 70s physique, if Basile hadn't been too great a pussy and do more steroids, he could have really gone somewhere.

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School
« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2011, 01:03:22 AM »
For a 70s physique, if Basile hadn't been too great a pussy and do more steroids, he could have really gone somewhere.
Agreed

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #345 on: October 07, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »
vince what if you can't get sore?  literally, no matter what i do, i can't get sore on some muscles (biceps, for example).

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #346 on: October 07, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »
vince what if you can't get sore?  literally, no matter what i do, i can't get sore on some muscles (biceps, for example).

Then you are doomed and can't build muscle.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2011, 01:34:40 AM »

If you can't generate DOMS then you are unlikely to grow rapidly. You can still grow like everyone else and eventually get somewhere.

What I looked for was a method to save years from that journey. Biceps are difficult to get sore. I accept and know that. My point is

IF you can get them sore they should grow rapidly if you can keep them sore.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2011, 01:43:54 AM »
Not taking vitamins does sound a bit crazy to me. Does this also mean you aren't supplementing diet with some protein powder? There is no way I can eat enough protein to grow if I don't have a couple or three protein drinks a day. My appetite just isn't that big.

No, I am taking no supplements. No vitamins, no minerals and definitely no protein. I get what I need from what I choose to eat which includes regular trips to MacDonalds and Hungry Jacks with an occasional Family Feast from KFC. That is it. I want to prove that the nutrition information in gyms and online is total nonsense. Remember, believing something doesn't make it true.

About muscle memory. According to the experts on Getbig guys my age can't build large muscles. So how can muscle memory function? I think we regain our muscles quicker because we know how to train them. Of course the repeated bout effect could be partly what that muscle memory is. I haven't seen this concept in the literature but it is believed by the musclemen.

Yes, I am training only arms at the moment. I discovered that the whole upper body improves when I do this. Such training goes against what most believe but there you are. I found out because I don't like training that much and when I did only arms my upper body also grew. If you saw me going to the limit for all my sets you would realize that I put in a big effort and the stabilizers have to work hard, too. Like I said, you have to be willing to throw out some of your basic beliefs about muscles and training if you are going to accept what I say. Since most people will die with their false ideas that isn't going to happen so most will not even read what I post.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:18 AM »
I can put anyone through a workout that will make them sore the next day. I don't care who you are or how long you have been training. There are so many ways to create D.O.M.S in a muscle that it would be nearly impossible for it *not* to happen.

All I would have to do is take a close look at what you have been doing up to this point. It's about that simple.

This means that for everyone my approach would probably be different because ~ you have all been doing something different (one from the other)

Too bad I couldn't throw out the challenge (as I just did) AND make some $$$$ at the same time.

It's not rocket science.

Pretty good read Vince. You even used the word "advices" ~ highly impressive. You must have been jesting.