Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 163534 times)

Ropo

• Getbig IV
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #500 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »
Had to install a modification in my gym so trained arms afterwards. Took a few photos when pumped. This should show some improvement.

Wow, you have build yourself a watch!! And it seem to me that you have more hair in your armpit, but otherwise I don't see any difference. And there was again a picture about your invention, which I find kind of interesting, because I can't understand why it must be done so difficult way? There is plenty of machines where you sit and do just same ROM with your hands, so why do you think that face down position is so much better? It can't be about the position of the body, because only what matter is your forearm movement in relation to the upper arm. I bet you can manage to get just same results with this kind of machine, it is easy to build and much cheaper.http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/CBInclineTriExt.html

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
Posting photos on Getbig certifies each of us as insane. I get red when I am out in the sun taking photos for hours and hours.

This is the first time since 1995 that I have trained regularly for more than a month.

yet you still felt you could give advice to milos sarcev

you are an idiot old or not
T

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #502 on: November 12, 2011, 03:20:29 AM »
Here come the anonymous flotsam trying to annoy me. It takes real courage to conduct a Getbig experiment. Not many even try. So I am having a go and am

impressing the people I know and the members at my gym. That makes it all worthwhile. Losing fat won't be so easy! But that is stage 3 and won't happen until

sometime next year. I have gained over two inches on my arms already so the experiment is a success.

Basile, I have the utmost respect for your past achievements but... sorry, but it is impossible to see any improvement in the pictures you have provided. It would be much better if you documented your experiment by on a weekly basis:

1. Reporting weight
2. Reporting bodyfat, for instance by a 3-point caliper measurement based estimate
3. Reporting diameters of arms, calves, thighs, chest and waist.

Your pics are not impressive so far. You look very overweight and it is not possible to se any definition in your arms. I see fat guys like you in the gym every day there, and many of them are very weak although they are bulky.

NN

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #503 on: November 12, 2011, 03:28:42 AM »
I had a look at the seated cable triceps extension machine. Similar but not the same. There are two problems with the seated variation. First, the pulley is not in the right position and therefore the cable doesn't move in a straight line. This means there will be less resistance in the finish position and that is where you need more, not less. Second, when heavy loads are used it will be awkward to start the movement. With my machine you keep the handle in front of you at arms length and use your bodyweight to get into position. Also, it is important to have the upper arms stationary so they can't rotate. Lastly, you need side pads to stop the elbows from moving outward.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #504 on: November 12, 2011, 03:32:25 AM »
yet you still felt you could give advice to milos sarcev

you are an idiot old or not

Watch who you call an idiot. I have a good memory. Milos said he tried everything for his arms. Well, he didn't try my equipment or protocols because they are available no where else.

Show more respect or your posts will be ignored.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #505 on: November 12, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »
Hi Old Guy. What a sorry individual you are to create an account so you can continue bagging me here instead of at Ironage. Who the heck are you and what have you done in bodybuilding?

I am looking good for my age and the grannies are impressed!

Here is another photo. Look upon my works, ye mortals, and despair!

LOLOL

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:12 AM »
Watch who you call an idiot. I have a good memory. Milos said he tried everything for his arms. Well, he didn't try my equipment or protocols because they are available no where else.

Show more respect or your posts will be ignored.

ignore them if you want you tubby cu nt

keep up the delusional long winded drivel

your opinion is like your theories

full of shit
T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2011, 04:13:37 AM »
Vince is getting a good beating in Iron age forum from the Dick Admin and that slag Panting.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #508 on: November 12, 2011, 04:16:23 AM »
Are you still training arms every 3 days, Vince?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #509 on: November 12, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »
actually "Old Guy" is a good Guy Vince because he is one of the few people who don't lick the admins assholes in IA. Although not a member there i was following a couple of threads and they really are a bunch of mobbing Bastards.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #510 on: November 12, 2011, 05:10:03 AM »
Are you still training arms every 3 days, Vince?

Yes, arms every 3rd day. I tried a few times on the 2nd day but my joints need more rest. I added lat pulldowns for the last two workouts.

So far 18 inches is a barrier. Will have to find a way to overcome it. I might start using my biceps supinator. The trouble is the machine isn't beside the triceps unit so I might

lose the use of one if away from it for a time.

No worries because I can train after the gym closes.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #511 on: November 12, 2011, 05:22:39 AM »
It's like a Chapel of Rest in here.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #512 on: November 12, 2011, 06:41:29 AM »
Yes, arms every 3rd day. I tried a few times on the 2nd day but my joints need more rest. I added lat pulldowns for the last two workouts.

So far 18 inches is a barrier. Will have to find a way to overcome it. I might start using my biceps supinator. The trouble is the machine isn't beside the triceps unit so I might

lose the use of one if away from it for a time.

No worries because I can train after the gym closes.

I'm curious Vince, what do you think about Mentzer's idea/theory that as a muscle grows bigger and stronger that it needs to be trained less (ie. less frequently and with less volume) in order to keep growing bigger and stronger?

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #513 on: November 12, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »
Vince is getting a good beating in Iron age forum from the Dick Admin and that slag Panting.

Weren't you Gordon on ironage?  Now the mods are saying u were all sorts of different posters right up till a couple of days ago  ???
nasty accusations i would say. check it out

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #514 on: November 12, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
I personally think that Mike and Arthur were totally wrong about training less frequently. There is the Repeated Bout Effect which means if you recover from a severe bout of exercise the training effect will last for a long time. This means that similar training won't build any additional muscle. So you want to retrain while your muscle is still sore. This goes against everything we were told about training. Unfortunately, it is also false and it has stopped zillions of guys from growing more rapidly. According to Hypertrophy Specific Training site they recommend retraining ideally every 36 hours. But they reduce the volume. That is when protein synthesis apparently ends in muscles. I am not so sure about this but HST suggests a practical frequency is every 2nd day. If you are young you might be able to do it. If you are much older and your joints are sore then perhaps every third day is wiser. That is what I am doing at the moment and it works. The additional consideration is to generate soreness in the muscle. Then retrain before the soreness goes away. For some muscles this is not so easy. Eg., the biceps. However, if you can get them sore they should grow rapidly. Naturally, it is a requirement that sufficient nutrients are ingested to support the growth. No extra protein is required other than what you would eat in your meals. No supplements and all that rubbish.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #515 on: November 12, 2011, 06:58:08 AM »
Ironage does a reasonably good job moderating their forum. That is all I am going to say about them here. Old Guy was knocking me there. Then he comes here to continue bagging me.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #516 on: November 12, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »
Weren't you Gordon on ironage?  Now the mods are saying u were all sorts of different posters right up till a couple of days ago  ???
nasty accusations i would say. check it out
I do not know how anyone can bring me in a connection with a "Gordon". I want to put this to rest once and for all. I got banned yes..because i did not like that  Perine was selling a product in IA for his financial gains...so the dick banned me. IA is run by old farts who to choose who should be in their "clique"

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #517 on: November 12, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »
Ironage does a reasonably good job moderating their forum. That is all I am going to say about them here. Old Guy was a dork for sure. Then he comes here to continue bagging me.
Donīt think heīs the dork...like i said i always found him ok.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #518 on: November 12, 2011, 07:26:13 AM »
Ironage does a reasonably good job moderating their forum. That is all I am going to say about them here. Old Guy was knocking me there. Then he comes here to continue bagging me.
funny that in IA you are getting a hard time from Bob scalise

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #519 on: November 12, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »
I had a look at the seated cable triceps extension machine. Similar but not the same. There are two problems with the seated variation. First, the pulley is not in the right position and therefore the cable doesn't move in a straight line. This means there will be less resistance in the finish position and that is where you need more, not less. Second, when heavy loads are used it will be awkward to start the movement. With my machine you keep the handle in front of you at arms length and use your bodyweight to get into position. Also, it is important to have the upper arms stationary so they can't rotate. Lastly, you need side pads to stop the elbows from moving outward.

Side pads would be helpful, that's true, but what comes those other claims, we obviously need a video clip of range of motion in your machine. You don't have show more than the guy doing the exercise, so no one can copy your invention. What is so hard to me to understand, is how come those little details mean so much, because they really do not. Those little details can put extra 2% benefit in this exercise, but other 98% will be just same in both machines. That 2% you can compensate by doing 1 extra rep. This isn't rocket science, only thing we do is build muscles and muscle building equipment, so simple is better than complicated. What comes to triceps, I haven't face any problems to add size and strenght to them, so it has been easy task for me and that's why it is so hard to understand your idea. My biggest problem while I was younger, was how to stay on the ground while doing cable push downs, and that was easy to fix. They add hook on the floor and I use weight belt and chain to keep me down  ;D

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #520 on: November 12, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »
ignore them if you want you tubby cu nt

keep up the delusional long winded drivel

your opinion is like your theories

full of shit

Dude...get a grip on yourself...show some respect...this guy might be a little past his prime but he achieved a lot when he was younger and deserves respect for that alone...the fact that he is trying to regain his strength and muscle mass is a tribute to his competitive spirit....he refuses to give up on himself and is trying to show that you can turn back the clock somewhat instead of crying about how feeble you are when you get to be his age....

what have YOU done in your life bodybuilding-wise??????????????????????????????????????????????????

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #521 on: November 12, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
Looking good Vince.

Comprehensive articles and articulate speech are what this forum should be about. Motivation, positive attitudes, honesty, integrity and last but not least: The truth.

Your arms look bigger than 16" BTW. Good Job. Great reading.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #522 on: November 12, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »
Those arms dieted down into real contest shape are about 14 to 15 inches :-\

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #523 on: November 12, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
you look familiar
My current workout routine is basically one muscle group per day with one complete cycle taking six days. For example: I work arms, biceps, triceps and forearms on Monday, Tuesday I work hams and calves, Wednesday I work back, Thursday shoulders, traps and abs, Friday chest and Saturday quads and calves. I limit my routine to what I can accomplish in about 45 minutes and never more than an hour. If I do cardio, that time is added time. Therefore longest workout would last 1 1/2 hours. I do a warm-up set and two to four work sets for each exercise. Usually, I do about three or four exercises for each muscle worked. Rest time between sets is never less then a minute and up to three minutes for larger muscles like quads. Every six to eight weeks I take a week off and just swim laps or do something different that requires some exercise. This routine allows a maximum recovery time which is more important the older one is. My body responds well to this.

I am fairly lean normally. I eat a normal healthy diet with an eye to protein intake. I am not a big junk food person, so that isn't an issue for me. My height is 5'11" and I weigh around 209 presently. I would guess that my body fat is about 12%. My arms and my neck both measure about 17" (no double chin). My waist is 34-35".

When I was a teenager, I was exceptionally skinny. Same approximate height as today, but weighed 126 lbs. This is what got me started weight training. I have trained most all of my adult life with very few breaks. I train to be fit and not to be a competitive bodybuilder or a muscle freak (don't believe I have the genetics for that). The most I ever weighed was 225 lbs. This was when I was twenty-nine. When I am not lifting, I eat less and generally drop some weight. My base weight most of my adult life has been 185-195 lbs. Over the last two years I've added some lean muscle mass arms a result of being on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy). This is due to my being treated by my doctor for low testosterone levels.

When I do take a block of time off from the gym and return to working out, I drop the poundages down, going light the first week back. It is all about how I feel. I am not looking to break any records or prove anything. I can generally gauge how I am doing by how sore I am. A little sore for a couple of days seems about right for me. More than that is a sure sign I am overdoing it.  Given my laid back nature, that isn't usually a problem. LOL.

The saying is that a picture is worth a thousand words....here is two thousand words worth. Both are recent. The headless one is about two months old and the other one is maybe a year ago.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #524 on: November 12, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
Ropo makes a lot of statements about the effectiveness or otherwise of various machines. Listen, I am a designer of gym equipment. If you think it is easy then have a go at designing something original and new. Talk about 2% difference is pure speculation.....in polite terms you don't know what you are talking about.

Things might look similar but could be substantially different if compared properly. You don't want to mess around with dangerous exercises for the triceps because it is too easy to damage the connective tissue and you can end up with sore elbows that is more or less permanent. I can tell you variations of tennis elbow is no joke. If you do standing French presses with a barbell you can get sore elbows. Experience will tell you which exercises to avoid and which are okay. Sometimes okay exercises get to be dangerous if heavy weights are used. Little things like arm pads and side pads can make all the difference in the world. Why? Well, believe it or not almost all people cheat doing exercises in the gym. There are two things fuelling the lack of good form in exercises. One is the ego which sees just about everyone trying to use big weights so they look strong. The other is the belief that using heavier weights will result in larger muscles. This is only partly true. The requirement is that the target muscle is actually lifting the resistance.

Two days ago in my gym I found 2 young guys doing the lying triceps extensions. The shorter bloke was using 10 X 5kg plates. He wasn't a huge guy so I told him there was no way he could use that amount of weight. So he proceeded to show me that he could. Fair dinkum, the guy was doing 1/3 range reps and his elbows were sliding sideways. Also, his shoulders were rising up. His body wasn't in a strong position, either. So I got him to reduce the load to 6 plates and have another go. He was struggling to do the reps. Eventually, after several adjustments on the machine, he was successfully doing 5 plates! He could feel the difference and now appreciates how to use the machine and get some results. His mate was taller and he ended up using 4 plates instead of 7. I told both that if they could genuinely lift 10 plates for 10 reps they would have much bigger arms.....18" cold.

I solved the problem of the body rising during triceps pressdowns by installing a bar that allows the user to put his foot under and that keeps him from rising. Made that in the early 1980s. Previously we used a heavy dumbbell to do the same thing.