Author Topic: Best return ever  (Read 11847 times)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
Best return ever
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:20:08 AM »

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Re: Best return ever
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »
I remember that moment by moment, i went completely ape shit when his music hit and he stormed down. Man those were the days.

Monsoon: "WAIT A MINUTE, THAT'S THE WARRIORS MUSIC!"

Heenan: "LOOK AT HIM!"

f*cking legends, how did we go from that to Cole?

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
Just listen to that crowd!

JR:  THE UNDERTAKER...IS WHOOPIN ASS!

King:  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

JR:  BAH GAWD!!!1

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »

JR is on fire as always!
I actually forgot also that Billy Gunn was 'Mr Ass' at this time lol When King says it i had to LOL

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:35:53 AM »

the story lines were so basic back then but there was so much more electricity to the moments its not even comparable. why is that?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
the story lines were so basic back then but there was so much more electricity to the moments its not even comparable. why is that?

I think that a big part of it is that, "back then," fans actually cared about the characters.
I see a remarkable amount of apathy and indifference towards today's wrestling product - including the wrestlers.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
i dont watch nearly as often but when i do flip through the fans seem as fanatical as ever though. i think for me at that point, i had never seen "good vs evil" depicted so clearly,  and with that much charisma from both the wrestlers and announcers it really was magic for me. now lines are blurred and the heels are also fan favs. also during Hulkamania and Bobby Heenan etc at the age of 7-11 i thought it was real. perhaps the glory was lost when i grew up  :(

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
i dont watch nearly as often but when i do flip through the fans seem as fanatical as ever though. i think for me at that point, i had never seen "good vs evil" depicted so clearly,  and with that much charisma from both the wrestlers and announcers it really was magic for me. now lines are blurred and the heels are also fan favs. also during Hulkamania and Bobby Heenan etc at the age of 7-11 i thought it was real. perhaps the glory was lost when i grew up  :(

I think the fans of today are just more into being at or a part of the "event" of having a sign to hold up, etc...  I don't see them pouring thru wrestling mags, debating who is the greatest IC champion ever, etc... 

And I totally agree that when Vince launched the "fans are smarter than that" era of not having clear cut heels vs faces it changed the business forever.  In the short term probably for the good, but long term when you don't have the abundance of charisma of that generations wrestlers, it stagnated the product and now you have the smoldering pile of shit we have now.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

I think the fans of today are just more into being at or a part of the "event" of having a sign to hold up, etc...  I don't see them pouring thru wrestling mags, debating who is the greatest IC champion ever, etc... 

And I totally agree that when Vince launched the "fans are smarter than that" era of not having clear cut heels vs faces it changed the business forever.  In the short term probably for the good, but long term when you don't have the abundance of charisma of that generations wrestlers, it stagnated the product and now you have the smoldering pile of shit we have now.
why are they all wwe superstars where are the wwe bums of years ago? wrestling the only "sport"? where everyone is a superstar.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

Very good observation.
I believe that the way the business has changed will prevent it from ever going back to what it was in most ways.
It is unfortunate, was but probably necessary for its survival during very bleak times.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 04:00:16 AM »
But the thing is , we dont KNOW that all the fans nowadays are this or that.Its different obviously from being a 13 year old kid compared to being 20+.Im sure kids watching nowadays are just as much into it as we were as kids.I personally have a nephew whos big into it, and its the same with his friends.Hes always bugging me for the figurines LOL man those were the days!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
But the thing is , we dont KNOW that all the fans nowadays are this or that.Its different obviously from being a 13 year old kid compared to being 20+.Im sure kids watching nowadays are just as much into it as we were as kids.I personally have a nephew whos big into it, and its the same with his friends.Hes always bugging me for the figurines LOL man those were the days!

Nah....I have a number of nephew's "into it" but its very, very different than the old days.  Part of it just the complete lack of an attention span for younger kids today.  They are into the games, figures, etc... but very few could name more than a handful of past champions, etc...  at their age I was Gordon Solie, Jr.    ;D

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »
Nah....I have a number of nephew's "into it" but its very, very different than the old days.  Part of it just the complete lack of an attention span for younger kids today.  They are into the games, figures, etc... but very few could name more than a handful of past champions, etc...  at their age I was Gordon Solie, Jr.    ;D

Thats you though...Not everyone is as 'big a fan' as you....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
Thats you though...Not everyone is as 'big a fan' as you....

And, I think that's part of Show's point.
I'm 32, and I've been watching pro-wrestling for about 27 years.
I know that, as a kid, my little snot-nosed buddies and I looked at the overall product a lot differently than today's youth generation.

I agree that there are kids today who are as "into it" as we were at that age, but I don't believe they're into it the same way.
Granted, we had an almost entirely different product back then, to which I attribute my belief.

We considered examination of more intricate aspects of the performances, analogous to the way a movie critic might review one of Pacino's roles.
Today's kids seem to be drawn more to the simplicities of who has the baddest entrance music or biggest biceps, etc.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
But thats just what you think, thats all im saying.You cant possibly know what every kid thinks.You maybe know a handful who watch it or whatever, but what about the millions you dont know? I think its just too simplistic to say this generation arent as into it.Im from the UK so i maybe see things diffrently, if youre from US? I just remember being a kid andit was all the rage with sticker albums, figures, watching it everytime it was on sky sports ( 3-4 times a week ).I was/am a big fan.I see the same thing with my nephews and friends, so i personally dont now what the difference is, other than the fact im not actually hangiong out with kids to KNOW how they see wrestling.I personally dont think the characters etc are as good these days but i put that down to the fact im NOT a kid, therefore look at it differently, like analyzing whos a good wrestler or on the mic, as opposed to just enjoying it like i used to.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »
But thats just what you think, thats all im saying.You cant possibly know what every kid thinks

this same quote could be thrown back at you....

just because the kids you know are "into it" doesn't mean that the US fans, which is who most likely Monty is talking about along with me, are into it the same way.  I have a fairly large family that has been wrestling fans for at least 3 or 4 generations and from being around them and their friends, I can tell you that their type of "into it" and mine at their age is totally different.  It's not their fault.  They have been fed 12 ppv's a year, main events on every weekly show, short and shitty storylines, poor mic skills, etc, etc... for the majority of their life, so they really don't know any better.  Same with the "boring" chants if two guys try to chain wrestle for more than 30 seconds in a match.  Fans are vastly different today than in the past, whether it be kids or adults.

Bottom line is the product is different, so the fans are different.  Example, watch some old vids from the 60's or 70's and the avg fan was an adult male wearing a suit and hat to the matches.  Times change, so do fans.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
My nephews are into it. But nothing like me and my Brother were. Hulkamania was life. There wasn't half the access that we have now. We couldn't wait to watch it! And then Saturday Nights Main event. When the good matches were on. There wasn't other forms of entertainment like video games and internet. It was sports after school and the World Wrestling Federation. It was a wonderful time to be alive.

I can relate.....just that I was watching NWA instead of WWF. 

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
I agree.

when I was 10 I couldn't wait to see sat night main event.

I actually thought Super Ninja might strip Warrior of the IC title

I was sooooo nervous!

then I saw the match hahahahahaha
Flower Boy Ran Away

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 02:48:11 AM »

this same quote could be thrown back at you....

just because the kids you know are "into it" doesn't mean that the US fans, which is who most likely Monty is talking about along with me, are into it the same way.  I have a fairly large family that has been wrestling fans for at least 3 or 4 generations and from being around them and their friends, I can tell you that their type of "into it" and mine at their age is totally different.  It's not their fault.  They have been fed 12 ppv's a year, main events on every weekly show, short and shitty storylines, poor mic skills, etc, etc... for the majority of their life, so they really don't know any better.  Same with the "boring" chants if two guys try to chain wrestle for more than 30 seconds in a match.  Fans are vastly different today than in the past, whether it be kids or adults.

Bottom line is the product is different, so the fans are different.  Example, watch some old vids from the 60's or 70's and the avg fan was an adult male wearing a suit and hat to the matches.  Times change, so do fans.

OK i accept your point of view, although the same thing cant be said back at me as i wasnt saying how anything is now compared to the past.I gave my opinion, youre tellin me how it is.Theres a difference lol

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
OK i accept your point of view, although the same thing cant be said back at me as i wasnt saying how anything is now compared to the past.I gave my opinion, youre tellin me how it is.Theres a difference lol

haha, sorry man, don't mean to come across that way.  I'm just stating what I see, same as you.  And it could be very different in the UK vs the US, I don't know.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
My nephews are into it. But nothing like me and my Brother were. Hulkamania was life. There wasn't half the access that we have now. We couldn't wait to watch it! And then Saturday Nights Main event. When the good matches were on. There wasn't other forms of entertainment like video games and internet. It was sports after school and the World Wrestling Federation. It was a wonderful time to be alive.

And then you discovered celebrity panty sniffing  :D
~

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »
haha, sorry man, don't mean to come across that way.  I'm just stating what I see, same as you.  And it could be very different in the UK vs the US, I don't know.

Its kool bro, nothing like a friendly debate! Whats it like to get into a show over there anyway? Since its there all the time.Over here its brutal tryin to get tickets for events! :(

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:04 AM »
Its kool bro, nothing like a friendly debate! Whats it like to get into a show over there anyway? Since its there all the time.Over here its brutal tryin to get tickets for events! :(

I haven't been to a show in years....went to quite a few WCW nitro's back in the day which was the last time I attended.  It was pretty easy to get tickets for WCW at that time.  Now with the WWE being the only game in town it can be months, or years, before a show comes close enough to attend.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
i know what you mean Tim. I used to get 2 copies of every magazine - 1 to keep and 1 to make collages to put on my wall. There was a point in time when i literally had every CM of my walls and my ceiling covered and i was delighted to show it off to my mates, we'd also make copies of the belts out of cardboard boxes and fight for them in the garden. Great memories

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
i know what you mean Tim. I used to get 2 copies of every magazine - 1 to keep and 1 to make collages to put on my wall. There was a point in time when i literally had every CM of my walls and my ceiling covered and i was delighted to show it off to my mates, we'd also make copies of the belts out of cardboard boxes and fight for them in the garden. Great memories

We did that also, although we call it "the yard"  ;D   My mom still has the belts stashed away somewhere.  I need to try to find them and post up pics.....would be pretty funny.