Author Topic: Thoughts on the Bones/Page fight  (Read 5961 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Thoughts on the Bones/Page fight
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Jones again victorious.  Most of us who know anything about the game already knew this was gonna be the outcome.   (sorry smm).

Anyway, I wasn't super impressed with Jones this time.  Maybe it was the predictable spinning elbows or just lack of....something.. i don't know.  Maybe he was tentative with Page's power. 

I think Bones will have a tough tough time with Rashad.  His speed is tops at LH and has great striking and SHOULD be able to get inside on Bones.  I think it will be Bones' biggest test yet.

OH, and that was Page's first time being stopped in the Octagon.  Did you know he had his roots in Pride?   ;D

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Thoughts on the Bones/Page fight
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
GW?   Thoughts?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
Reach+ Discipline is what won this fight plain and simple.

Nobody at 205 has the length to stand with him. He doesn't get flustered, he doesn't get mad, he uses his tools and sticks to his game plan.

Really, the only difference between him and Rashad is god given talent and reach.

Rashad is going to get raped.

Rampage took him to round 4 on sheer toughness--

I guarantee Rashad will run like a fairy until he is grabbed and either subbed or TKO'd.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:44:10 AM »
Jones again victorious.  Most of us who know anything about the game already knew this was gonna be the outcome.   (sorry smm).

What the fuck are you talking about? I said Jones would win. I gave Rampage a 20% chance of winning on the possibility of him closing in an connecting. Nowhere did I say that Rampage was the favorite to win this fight. It is you who knows nothing of MMA if you think Rampage couldn't win this fight at all. A hard hitter with a tough jaw always has a chance. Always!

SUCKMYMUSCLE

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:18:33 AM »
I think Jones didnt push it as he didnt need to.Call it the same as GSP or whatever, but why go out of your comfort zone if youre winning a fight? Theres not any point taking risks and getting caught, as Page is capable of that as we all know.Jones done what he had to do and thats that.
As for Rashad, i personally feel itll be a more competitive fight.Page is predictable, cos all hes gona do it stand n punch.Rashad can do a lil bit more although its still gona be a Bones victory

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:29:34 AM »
Nice assessment guys.  Especially the part about patients and discipline on Jones' part. 

Kev:  I hope youre right.  It just seems that he was a little predictable this time around. 

You really gotta hand it to Jones though.  I love watching his rise.  It's great to watch someone live their dream.  He seems so humble. 

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
Bones picked him off at will, and i know it isnt just me but i saw Rampage quit mentally after the 2nd round. he realised he couldnt win and it was a sif he gave him his back to say "please dont smash me anymore".

2nd / 3rd gear for Bones throughout, was never in any real trouble against a 1 dimensional fighter. Evans is completely different from Rampage however i still dont see him pressuring Jones. Bones right now has nobody at 205 that can beat him, we need to see the rise of a new phenom because what we have just isnt good enough - bar a fully fit Shogun.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »
I personally think Machida is the only chance of winning against Jones.I agree Coltrane its amazing watching Jones improve everytime.Hes dfinetly the most exciting fighter in the UFC for me personally.Id watch him fight over anyone right now

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
Tired of watching these fights of guys running backwards "picking their opponent apart". ::) Do they win? Of course, is it worth paying $50 to see? No fucking way. Hughes/Koscheck was more entertaining, nobody running away.

BTW Jones should be in heavyweight, the dudes lankiness is insane and his reach is what will keep him on top for a long time.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
I personally think Machida is the only chance of winning against Jones.I agree Coltrane its amazing watching Jones improve everytime.Hes dfinetly the most exciting fighter in the UFC for me personally.Id watch him fight over anyone right now

I don't understand the machida thing. A lot of people say it, but i think machida's got no chance. His main thing was his evasiveness but if Rua and Page can catch him, with that extra reach JOnes would just toy with him.

Jones is exciting to watch, i agree. I think as he get's further into his career the showtime moves and excitement will get toned down and he'll be more like a GSP but with fewer going to decision.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
Tired of watching these fights of guys running backwards "picking their opponent apart". ::) Do they win? Of course, is it worth paying $50 to see? No fucking way. Hughes/Koscheck was more entertaining, nobody running away.

I agree...and I'm not ready to annoint Jones as the next great thing yet. Rampage could have attacked Jones' legs more. He seemed to make some progress with leg kicks, but after the 3rd round GnP, Rampage was looking for an out that would keep him from getting hurt.

Jones' slipped or stumbled on the canvas a number of times and left his head wide open and unprotected. Page loaded up for the big shot and missed every time - a pinpoint striker could have taken advantage of that.

I hope some of the old guard in the UFC see that their time is past and bow out gracefully this year. I'd hate to see Wanderlei or Rampage leave like CroCop did.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »
jones used his assets and won. he knew how to use the reach both legs and arms

finally someone has a varied skill set rather than the regular kick/thai boxing.

people have to understand there is a million standup disciplines rather that the mentioned above

him and machida will be good because he has good karate skill. he can faint, varied aresenal, good accuracy, and good karate foot work

and good take down defence

if jones can get past a good runner like machida this kid has coverd all aspects of mma

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:19 AM »
jones used his assets and won. he knew how to use the reach both legs and arms

finally someone has a varied skill set rather than the regular kick/thai boxing.

people have to understand there is a million standup disciplines rather that the mentioned above

him and machida will be good because he has good karate skill. he can faint, varied aresenal, good accuracy, and good karate foot work

and good take down defence

if jones can get past a good runner like machida this kid has coverd all aspects of mma

Exactly.Couldnt have summed it up better myself.People are trying to pick apart Jones striking or whatever, but fail to realise he maybe doesnt excel in any department but hes damn well more well rounded than everyone else, and getting better at each!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 06:46:15 PM »
Jones/Machida has snoozefest written all over it. Neither guy has shown any kind of aggressiveness until their opponent is hurt, I see these two dancing in circles for 5 rounds and the crowd booing non stop.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
  I agree 120% that Machida is the only guy at 205 lbs who can beat Jones. Styles make fights, and Machida's elusiveness and incredible counter-striking is custom-made to beat Jones.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 01:24:21 AM »
  I agree 120% that Machida is the only guy at 205 lbs who can beat Jones. Styles make fights, and Machida's elusiveness and incredible counter-striking is custom-made to beat Jones.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

It would be interesting.Rampage has no chance of trying to counter attack, we all saw that, but Machida definetly has a chance unless Jones wrestles him

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Surely a man of your "intelligence" should realise that 100% is the absolute maximum and that anything greater is false.

Anyway, not believing any hype or quoting others because they believe it to be so, i think Machida would be meat for the beast if he fought Jones. Machida's style served him well against many 1 dimensional fighters and some true stars but in Bones we have a complete athlete who can hold his own anywhere the fight is taken. Machida's "elusiveness" will count for nothing against a predator of his caliber, Jones will simply have his way with him. People dont seem to appreciate exactly what Bones is doing to people, and not just every day joe's but the absolute cream of his division. Its breathtaking to see how he is able to completely dominate people regarded as the very best.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
Surely a man of your "intelligence" should realise that 100% is the absolute maximum and that anything greater is false.Anyway, not believing any hype or quoting others because they believe it to be so, i think Machida would be meat for the beast if he fought Jones. Machida's style served him well against many 1 dimensional fighters and some true stars but in Bones we have a complete athlete who can hold his own anywhere the fight is taken. Machida's "elusiveness" will count for nothing against a predator of his caliber, Jones will simply have his way with him. People dont seem to appreciate exactly what Bones is doing to people, and not just every day joe's but the absolute cream of his division. Its breathtaking to see how he is able to completely dominate people regarded as the very best.
;D ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
Surely a man of your "intelligence" should realise that 100% is the absolute maximum and that anything greater is false.

Ugh...never heard of hyperbolic speech, have you?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
  Ugh...never heard of hyperbolic speech, have you?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Exaggerated or not, you continually criticize others for not meeting your supposed standards of intellect therefore it is only fair that you have it in return. Not everyone on here is as dumb as you believe them to be, boy wonder.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 11:19:50 PM »
i thought it was a boring fight. jones did what he had to do to win. the sport has past guys like rampage. yes he is still dangerous but he has slowed down alot
irongearco.com

suckmymuscle

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 04:07:07 AM »
Exaggerated or not, you continually criticize others for not meeting your supposed standards of intellect therefore it is only fair that you have it in return. Not everyone on here is as dumb as you believe them to be, boy wonder.

Ugh...what? I assumed that everyone would realize that I was being hyperbolic on purpose, since even sixth-graders know that the maximum percentage you can have is 100%(cent = from the Latin meaning 100).

And I never called you dumb or anyone here for that matter. Well, I have called Coltrane imbecile when he acted like an anti-Fedor jackass, but I didn't mean anything by it. And there are a lot of people here who know MMA more than me.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
  Ugh...what? I assumed that everyone would realize that I was being hyperbolic on purpose, since even sixth-graders know that the maximum percentage you can have is 100%(cent = from the Latin meaning 100).

And I never called you dumb or anyone here for that matter. Well, I have called Coltrane imbecile when he acted like an anti-Fedor jackass, but I didn't mean anything by it. And there are a lot of people here who know MMA more than me.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

While the above is true, the % is our symbol of the latin word per centum which means 'per one hundred' or 'for each hundred'