Author Topic: Shoulder Issue (i know, this has been batted around a lot)  (Read 4688 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Shoulder Issue (i know, this has been batted around a lot)
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »
Guys, left shoulder in serious pain the past weeks.. only while pressing with db's or bars.  Also hurts doing shoulder presses.  DOESN"T hurt doing laterals or anything else.

Should I try to still press on it with super light weight, or just forego any presses at all?  I'm kinda a believer that it will only heal with blood flow.. and not working it will not help in the healing process.

Thoughts? 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Shoulder Issue (i know, this has been batted around a lot)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Increasing blood in the area: Might try using a heating pad or mobile patch. Also a heating lotion/cream/rub. Wear a heavier shirt or light wrap when working out. Warm up the shoulder girdle well. A good shoulder stretch is just hanging from a overhead bar, allowing the body's weight to pull you down, in a relaxed position. Can also do this one arm at a time. Wonder if you have done different grip positions on the press?

If overhead pressing bothers you, than don't do them. Do the lateral raises standing , sitting, on an incline bench, flat bench, cables, etc, only if no pain is present. If you can do front raises, than do them. Also Hi-pulls (Gironda style) which is an excellent shoulder movement. Might also check you style in the BP. Sometimes this can affect the overhead pressing muscles. Good Luck.
F

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 08:26:34 AM »
Thanks JPM.

I can do db presses with really light weight without much pain.. so i'm going to continue to do those just to get the blood flow.  Obviously using 40 pound db's for pressing isn't going to do anything but just that..  blood flow.

Thanks for the help (not just this, but ALL your help).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
If you insist on doing presses (I would rest for 3 to 4 weeks..but than again, that's your choice.) than might try pre-exhaustion .  Do lateral raises first and with no rest go to the DB presses. That would be one cycle of 8 -12 reps. Suited for lighter weight use.

Or the One and One Half system.  Press the DB (light) overhead and  rather than lowering it to the starting/bottom position, only lower it half way and than back up again to the top position. At that top position than lower it down to the original starting position.  That's considered one rep. Try for 8-12 reps. No rest at any position, as with the Pre-exhaust ion system. Also suited for lighter weight use. Both are really going after the pump and increase blood supply to the  muscle.  Both theses protocols work extremely well with arm and pec movements.

Again dress warm or uses a heating patch/rub/lotion, etc during the workout. Good Luck.
F

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
Thanks again. 

Amazing advice.  I'd see a doc but I don't have insurance right now.  Thank you.