Author Topic: Damn cheap protein powder!!!  (Read 15148 times)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Re: Damn cheap protein powder!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
I was on the Max Muscle website recently and their prices are off the charts. Why??
T

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
i have tried just about every brand of protien over the years,some are just plain crap,the ones i have used that were the best are all the beverly products and labrada lean protien,both are expensive but seem to be highest quality.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
If you're lactose intolerant, that's a gastric nightmare.

12 pack of IsoPure for $10, also cheap protein shakes (without the tummy torture).
Where do u get that price at?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
i have a bridge i d like to sell you...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Where do u get that price at?

A GNC in a local mall. It was marked down for clearance. $12.49 (plus 20% off with the Gold Card). The RTDs supposedly expire at the end of this month. But, they'll be gone by then.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 06:25:37 PM »
Agree with McWay in this thread - protein powders are very effective. When I first started out training I couldn't afford protein powders and just relied on protein from solid meals - it was too difficult, time consuming, and impractical to get all my protein requirements from just solids and I barely had any decent results - as soon as I brought whey protein into the equation, my results skyrocketed.

It's not neccesarily just whey protein. Back when I was in college, I couldn't afford always afford whey protein. So my protein shakes at times were just old-school ones (made of milk and eggs). I often bought GNC Challenge Milk & Egg protein or GNC Soy Protein 95.

I used Mega Mass 2000 back in school. When my gym marked down Prolab's N-Large by 50%, I gave that a try then switched to it long term. It was much easier on my stomach.

3 solid meals and 3 liquid meals helped me bulk up and I finally got over 200 lbs (went home after spring semester at 210, after starting the semester at 189).

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
I was on the Max Muscle website recently and their prices are off the charts. Why??

Have you noticed how many Max Muscle stores have down-sized and then closed up shop lately?

They took a big hit from the "economy" (and they were ALREADY over-priced) ~ the only good thing about Max Muscle stores is when you get to know their owners (hint, hint)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »
Agree with McWay in this thread - protein powdersthai anabols are very effective. When I first started out training I couldn't afford protein powdersdianabol and just relied on protein from solid meals - it was too difficult, time consuming, and impractical to get all my protein requirements from just solids and I barely had any decent results - as soon as I brought whey proteindianabol into the equation, my results skyrocketed.
I agree man.  ;D

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 09:48:31 PM »

Have you noticed how many Max Muscle stores have down-sized and then closed up shop lately?

They took a big hit from the "economy" (and they were ALREADY over-priced) ~ the only good thing about Max Muscle stores is when you get to know their owners (hint, hint)
Haven't really paid attention to the company until recently while browsing their site. I am not surprised they took a hit. Tubs of protein for $100.00. The EAS days are over, what are they thinking. "Hint, hint" gear or just good prices?
T

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2011, 12:03:13 AM »

ok since you insist on spending money on protein powder its better if you take casein protein because whey on a empty stomach between meals cause a big spike in your insulin levels and the unstable insulin levels leads to fat rolls, now casein protein does not spike your insulin levels and on top of that it increases your igf-1 levels so its a better choice.

I always add fiber powder (about 5 grams) and about a tablespoon full of Olive oil to my protein shakes. And how much does a protein spike insulin? Especially when you compare it to fruit juice, sodas, poweraide and other drinks most drink that has sugar. Whey doesn't any sugar. And isn't whey a natural substance? Real food? I mean, it comes from milk. A by product from milk.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »
I'm currently sponsered by SSN (A local brand here in South Africa) and SPS (Gary Strydoms line) and I asked the guys that manufacture their products about all this "cheap whey protein" you see on shelves recently. And this is what they had to say...  

"Worldwide shortages fuelled by a number of factors not least being increased demand from the East has seen the worlds major dairy protein producers (eg. Hilmar, Glanbia, Fonterra etc) being unable to 100% fulfil manufacturer requirements for dairy proteins such as whey protein for quite some time now. This has seen global wholesale prices to manufacturers like ourselves almost double during the course of 2011. Short term prognosis does not look any better with further price increases expected, this being exasperated here in South Africa by the recent weakening of the Rand to the Dollar. This has resulted in some supplement brands adopting the strategy of "diluting" their "pure" or "100%" whey protein formulas with cheaper ingredients such as maltodextrin. This is achieves two things - 1) It enhances the flavour / taste of the "whey" protein formulation as maltodextrin is a pleasant tasting glucose polymer (I'm sure not too many consumers will be complaining on this count!).......and 2) It allows these brands to still offer very competitively priced "whey" protein products to the consumer (bearing in mind maltodextrin as a raw material costs us manufacturers much less than even one tenth of the cost of whey protein). For the consumer the benefit is a really nice tasting "whey" at a "nice" price.....the compromise being whereas in the past the consumer was paying for and receiving an almost pure (80% or more protein content) protein powder, now these same whey protein products are being "diluted" down to yield a significantly lower protein yield. Meaning the consumer is getting significantly less protein but significantly more carbs per serving than they were previously. At SSN & SPS we have resisted this growing trend as we have always taken pride in placing strong emphasis in the integrity and efficacy of our formulations.....remembe ring too that we are competitive athletes ourselves who use and rely on our own products. However in recent internal discussions we have being questioning whether the consumer puts as much stock into such as we do or whether instead in today's tough economic times, they are happy to settle for a slight compromise in quality for the benefit of improved affordability. Would you be prepared to pay a small premium for a "pure" SSN or SPS whey protein or would you be happy for us too, to cut protein content to yield a cheaper product?"

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2011, 12:45:08 AM »
I'm currently sponsered by SSN (A local brand here in South Africa) and SPS (Gary Strydoms line) and I asked the guys that manufacture their products about all this "cheap whey protein" you see on shelves recently. And this is what they had to say...  

"Worldwide shortages fuelled by a number of factors not least being increased demand from the East has seen the worlds major dairy protein producers (eg. Hilmar, Glanbia, Fonterra etc) being unable to 100% fulfil manufacturer requirements for dairy proteins such as whey protein for quite some time now. This has seen global wholesale prices to manufacturers like ourselves almost double during the course of 2011. Short term prognosis does not look any better with further price increases expected, this being exasperated here in South Africa by the recent weakening of the Rand to the Dollar. This has resulted in some supplement brands adopting the strategy of "diluting" their "pure" or "100%" whey protein formulas with cheaper ingredients such as maltodextrin. This is achieves two things - 1) It enhances the flavour / taste of the "whey" protein formulation as maltodextrin is a pleasant tasting glucose polymer (I'm sure not too many consumers will be complaining on this count!).......and 2) It allows these brands to still offer very competitively priced "whey" protein products to the consumer (bearing in mind maltodextrin as a raw material costs us manufacturers much less than even one tenth of the cost of whey protein). For the consumer the benefit is a really nice tasting "whey" at a "nice" price.....the compromise being whereas in the past the consumer was paying for and receiving an almost pure (80% or more protein content) protein powder, now these same whey protein products are being "diluted" down to yield a significantly lower protein yield. Meaning the consumer is getting significantly less protein but significantly more carbs per serving than they were previously. At SSN & SPS we have resisted this growing trend as we have always taken pride in placing strong emphasis in the integrity and efficacy of our formulations.....remembe ring too that we are competitive athletes ourselves who use and rely on our own products. However in recent internal discussions we have being questioning whether the consumer puts as much stock into such as we do or whether instead in today's tough economic times, they are happy to settle for a slight compromise in quality for the benefit of improved affordability. Would you be prepared to pay a small premium for a "pure" SSN or SPS whey protein or would you be happy for us too, to cut protein content to yield a cheaper product?"

If you say so, "supernatural".  ::) ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »
They need to create Sushi protein powder...
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2011, 01:58:32 AM »
They need to create Sushi protein powder...

That would be a MRP, or are you talking about the flavor only?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2011, 03:16:21 AM »

I am not as concerned with the ratio of carbs to protein but rather is the label truthful. If it says 20 grams of protein per serving is it really 20 grams? When they say "diluted" what do they mean? Is a diluted 20 grams of protein still 20 grams?

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
Yep, guys like me who use products to help them achieve personal goals (purchased at a fraction of retail cost).....SO WHAT!!!

Let me guess!! You're one of those rebels without a cause (or a clue), who goes shaking his fist at GNC stores with a can of tuna in hand, "YOU'LL NEVER GET ME, GNC!!!!"!!

LOL  ::) I could care less about your GNC store that you adore so much, when you walk in do the 15 year old sales associates call you by your first name and tell you about the new proteins that just came in  ::) when you walk out with your 10 pound tub of crap do you drop your head in shame hoping no one recognizes  you  ???
K

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »
I am not as concerned with the ratio of carbs to protein but rather is the label truthful. If it says 20 grams of protein per serving is it really 20 grams? When they say "diluted" what do they mean? Is a diluted 20 grams of protein still 20 grams?

By law it should be, but if it was the same serving size (eg.30g) it would have to contain less protien (if they are adding in fillers) If they're still truthfully claiming 20g per serving, their serving size would have to be bigger (increase to 40-50g).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
LOL  ::) I could care less about your GNC store that you adore so much, when you walk in do the 15 year old sales associates call you by your first name and tell you about the new proteins that just came in  ::) when you walk out with your 10 pound tub of crap do you drop your head in shame hoping no one recognizes  you  ???

First, no 15-year old works in GNC.

Second, I don't care what their age is, as long as they can punch in the clearance price on those orange stickers and scan a Gold Card.

Third, why would I drop my head in shame, having purchased the products I want for up to 80% less than retail price?

Fourth, I "adore" any store where I can get stuff cheap (i.e. Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, and yes, GNC).

But, keep up your tirades, with your cans of tuna in hand. "I'M HARDCORE!!!" You against the evil supplement world....you'll show them!!!  ::)

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
First, no 15-year old works in GNC.

Second, I don't care what their age is, as long as they can punch in the clearance price on those orange stickers and scan a Gold Card.

Third, why would I drop my head in shame, having purchased the products I want for up to 80% less than retail price?

Fourth, I "adore" any store where I can get stuff cheap (i.e. Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, and yes, GNC).

But, keep up your tirades, with your cans of tuna in hand. "I'M HARDCORE!!!" You against the evil supplement world....you'll show them!!!  ::)

80% of Crap still = crap  ::)

You are the minority here, still buying "Supplements" and "believing" that you must have them or you may fall into a "catabolic state"  ::)

K

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »
80% of Crap still = crap  ::)

You are the minority here, still buying "Supplements" and "believing" that you must have them or you may fall into a "catabolic state"  ::)

Wrong!

YOU are in the minority here, thinking that you the anti-supplement company rebel. You know the real scoop; you're "hardcore"  ::) .

You and your delusions, against the evil supplement world. "They'll never get me!!", clutching your tuna cans in furious anger and spite.

I guess I'll have to tell my muscles that they need to shrink now, because a GetBig rebel without a clue claims the extra protein I've been feeding them is "crap".

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
Wrong!

YOU are in the minority here, thinking that you the anti-supplement company rebel. You know the real scoop; you're "hardcore"  ::) .

You and your delusions, against the evil supplement world. "They'll never get me!!", clutching your tuna cans in furious anger and spite.

I guess I'll have to tell my muscles that they need to shrink now, because a GetBig rebel without a clue claims the extra protein I've been feeding them is "crap".

I guess you are not able to read the replies from others in this thread ?? now go drink your protein and your Creatine  and gobble your pills whilst reading your favourite Muscle Magazine that you read religiously  ::) and defend the "supplement industry" to all those that dare eat normal food you FOOL  :-*
K

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
I guess you are not able to read the replies from others in this thread ?? now go drink your protein and your Creatine  and gobble your pills whilst reading your favourite Muscle Magazine that you read religiously  ::) and defend the "supplement industry" to all those that dare eat normal food you FOOL  :-*

I've read these replies and those on threads, when this topic has been dredged up, time and time again.

And, because your "Hooked on Phonics" discs have yet to arrive, you have yet to digest the simple fact that I'm not making this a "food vs. supplement" deal. I've said from the start that supplements offer little, if your diet is garbage.

They're called SUPPLEMENTS for a reason, genius. You use them IN ADDITION TO regular food. At no time did I say to use supplements instead of food.

I ate lots of regular food to help me gain size, back in the day. When I stalled, I continued to do that AND ADDED supplements (like protein powder) to get bigger. And, surprise, SURPRISE....it worked.

The "supplement industry"? Just as I thought...rebel without a clue, trying to stick to those evil companies, with the vulcan death grip on your cans of Star-Kist, shaking your fists.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
Pretty sure I am just hoping for a protein source that doesn't make me bloat and fart all to hell here haha. Screw taste, I just want something my digestive system agrees with!
^^
WHY don't you try 6 raw eggs in a glass swallowed with about 6 digestive enzyme tablets??  That's what I've been doing for a month now, with fantastic results!!!

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
I've read these replies and those on threads, when this topic has been dredged up, time and time again.

And, because your "Hooked on Phonics" discs have yet to arrive, you have yet to digest the simple fact that I'm not making this a "food vs. supplement" deal. I've said from the start that supplements offer little, if your diet is garbage.

They're called SUPPLEMENTS for a reason, genius. You use them IN ADDITION TO regular food. At no time did I say to use supplements instead of food.

I ate lots of regular food to help me gain size, back in the day. When I stalled, I continued to do that AND ADDED supplements (like protein powder) to get bigger. And, surprise, SURPRISE....it worked.

The "supplement industry"? Just as I thought...rebel without a clue, trying to stick to those evil companies, with the vulcan death grip on your cans of Star-Kist, shaking your fists.

LOL - what % of your hard earned muscle do you attribute to Protein Powders and Supplements ? lots of use want to know so we can rush off to GNC and purchase them and be on our way to building a better us  ::) just like you have  :-*

Was it the special chocolate whey isolate  and the NO plasma jell for pre-workout ? and the inter workout dose of BCAA's, followed by the post workout shake of just the right amount of simple/complex carbs and whey  ?? I bet it was  :o
then just before bed the ZMA/protein Casein  combo to promote test and keep your nitrogen balance in check, and at 3:30 am the special chocolate whey isolate to up regulate your nitrogen  ::)
K

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »
^^
WHY don't you try 6 raw eggs in a glass swallowed with about 6 digestive enzyme tablets??  That's what I've been doing for a month now, with fantastic results!!!

I've been there and done that, only the eggs were mixed with milk (no enzyme tablets).

Nowadays, with the ability to get IsoPure and other RTDs fairly cheap, that's is no longer necessary.