Author Topic: underhand/overhand deadlifts & bicep tears  (Read 3853 times)

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
underhand/overhand deadlifts & bicep tears
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:51 AM »
Was watching a few youtube videoes today and I am surprised how many people tear their bicep from doing underhand/overhand.

Totally helps my grip doing it this way.

Having your bicep tear though is a pretty serious thing.  Might heal, but most likely will never be the same even after surgery.

anyone ever worry about this?  Not just from under/over deadlifts either.  Preacher curls, underhand barbell rows, etc.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: underhand/overhand deadlifts & bicep tears
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
The potential of results often overrides the potential of injury, for most BB'ers.  Not only from careless workouts but also from careless drug use. Sadly BB'ing is not always for the health conscious. Good Luck.
F

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:55:37 AM »
WORD BRO.  I can't stand doing overhand.  I love underhand rows and under/over deads.

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:50:09 AM »
What always bothers me about under/over grip on deadlifts is the fact that it's uneven on your body.  Sure, you can switch back and forth, but rarely do people do that once they find a grip that's comfortable.  If it's for competetive powerlifting it's a no brainer.  For a bodybuilder, what are you trying to accomplish?  Build the muscles that the exercise is intended for...use straps and an overhand grip.  Overhand is safer for the bi's and shoulders.  What do you need to prove by gripping the bar without straps and sacrificing the extra reps you could be accomplishing using straps?
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
Untamedsense makes sense. Too many BB'er are overwhelmed by the non-importances of how much weight they can rep out. They wind up working the ligaments/tendons/joints more than the actual muscles intended. Far as overhand/underhand goes, look for a trap/shrug bar to follow the natural grip position. Good Luck.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
Untamedsense makes sense. Too many BB'er are overwhelmed by the non-importances of how much weight they can rep out. They wind up working the ligaments/tendons/joints more than the actual muscles intended. Far as overhand/underhand goes, look for a trap/shrug bar to follow the natural grip position. Good Luck.
Spot on as usual jpm.  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »
What always bothers me about under/over grip on deadlifts is the fact that it's uneven on your body.  Sure, you can switch back and forth, but rarely do people do that once they find a grip that's comfortable.  If it's for competetive powerlifting it's a no brainer.  For a bodybuilder, what are you trying to accomplish?  Build the muscles that the exercise is intended for...use straps and an overhand grip.  Overhand is safer for the bi's and shoulders.  What do you need to prove by gripping the bar without straps and sacrificing the extra reps you could be accomplishing using straps?

QFT, Olympic lifters lift with an over hand hook grip and ripping a bicep is never even discussed.  Sure you can deadlift more with the secure alternate grip but that arm that is in a curl grip position is the arm most likely to rip.  Another way to rip a bicep is jerking pull/chin ups.  Do them smooth even if it means less reps.

Benching is another potential chest/shoulder ripper.  I can't count how many big benchers who are now in their 40's and 50's that have ruined their joints to the point they can't bench at all.  Incline and declines are safer.   Also dumbbell benches are safer. 

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
Unless you compete in powerlifting, there is absolutely no need to use the mixed grip.
Just use the double overhand grip with straps only for the HEAVY sets. See to many people use straps for even 135lbs, they never develop any grip strength.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »

"Far as overhand/underhand goes, look for a trap/shrug bar to follow the natural grip position. Good Luck."...Agreed

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
Was watching a few youtube videoes today and I am surprised how many people tear their bicep from doing underhand/overhand.

Totally helps my grip doing it this way.

Having your bicep tear though is a pretty serious thing.  Might heal, but most likely will never be the same even after surgery.anyone ever worry about this?  Not just from under/over deadlifts either.  Preacher curls, underhand barbell rows, etc.

I tore mine at the forearm attachment in March 2007 and had it reattached. Without a doubt, that bicep is much stronger on all curling/pulling movements now. I call it my bionic arm :D

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »

Benching is another potential chest/shoulder ripper.  I can't count how many big benchers who are now in their 40's and 50's that have ruined their joints to the point they can't bench at all.  Incline and declines are safer.   Also dumbbell benches are safer. 

This is the ultimate myth. Incline and decline are much rougher on your shoulders/elbows..If people actually benched properly (mid grip shoulder in instead of flared, didn't bounce weight, worked up properly, etc) they would realize that bench is not only a superior mass and strength builder but much safer on your joints/muscles/tendons then the much more dangerous and overrated dumbbell presses

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 04:06:30 AM »
This is the ultimate myth. Incline and decline are much rougher on your shoulders/elbows..If people actually benched properly (mid grip shoulder in instead of flared, didn't bounce weight, worked up properly, etc) they would realize that bench is not only a superior mass and strength builder but much safer on your joints/muscles/tendons then the much more dangerous and overrated dumbbell presses
Well the thing is most people think..."chest day...Bench...Bench...Be nch....Flat....Incline because all the Mags say it"...True for some guys their chest pumps up like baked bread...but Declines and dips are for me great Exercises. The shape i get from parallel bar Dips is outstanding. I do also as a finishing off movement old fashioned push ups. Back to the topic of the thread, on Deadlifts i use a normal overhand grip but on chins underhand and on Barbell rows i swap over overhand grip (Wide grip) with underhand (shoulder width)....