Author Topic: old timer diets  (Read 13380 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
old timer diets
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:30:39 AM »
guys like nubret, zane, paddila, mentzer,  corney, etc didnt eat more than 3 meals a day, yet got into pretty respectable condition, not 4%, but low bf, with a high level of muscularity

also some of the foods consumed pre contest were not "acceptable" in todays diets; breads, dairy. etc

this brings up the old dilemma between frequent small meals, fasting & feeding, keto, and "normal" 3 meal a day diets

discuss

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Re: old timer diets
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:35:02 AM »
Remember Arnold's breakfast before 75 O? In "Pumping Iron And Leopards" he ate eggwhites, toast and cofee ..

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 04:37:01 AM »
3 meals a day is not normal for anyone who takes a part in any physical activity. Most "athletic" people I know eat from 5 to even 8 meals a day. They don't even work out, they just eat a lot.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:26 AM »
Remember Arnold's breakfast before 75 O? In "Pumping Iron And Leopards" he ate eggwhites, toast and cofee ..
exactly why I didnt mention him, I know he ate frequent small meals through the day

lots of others didnt

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:41 AM »
3 meals a day is not normal for anyone who takes a part in any physical activity. Most "athletic" people I know eat from 5 to even 8 meals a day. They don't even work out, they just eat a lot.
wrong

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:53:18 AM »
eating is overrated. bbing mags create fatasses.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:36 AM »
What you guys forget is that we are talking about the very beginning of Bodybuilding.
A lot had to be tested and tried, were today you log into the WWW and you find all the information presented to you, your problem is to pick the right one for you.

So of course Arnolds diet was all trial and error at times, but the information that we have now is largly based on the trials and errors of bodybuilders before us.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:06 AM »
In my opinion they used "a calorie is a calorie" diet...meaning they ate whatever, just in small quantities.

The only difference is that they ate as much protein as they could from basic sources...eggs, beef, fish etc.

remember that they did not "weight" their food back then neither had "calorieking.com" to keep track of their cals. They measured portions by the eye.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:24 AM »
I spent time with Francis Benefatto when he stayed here in Durban and asked him about his diet (he was prepping for a guest posing). he ate between 2 and 3 meals a day when dieting. Sometimes his first meal was at midday or later. He also ate most of his carbs in the evening. Said he woke up in the middle of the night to carb up sometimes as he trained 1st thing on an empty stomach, he drank 3 litres of water while he weight trained

IMO When dieting two most important things are:

1) Being Calorie deficient (Calories in calories out)
2) Getting you macros right (i.e. 250g protein,300g carbs ,50g fat)

Use whatever foods you like to make up your chosen macro ratio (Within reason, best to use foods with the highest macro nutrient density).
The number of meals your food is broken down into whether it be 3,4,5,6,7 0r 8 makes little difference in the big picture. (4-5 fits in well with most peoples schedules)

Obsessing about meal timing is over rated (eating religiously every 2 or 3 hours by the clock  

notsureifsrs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 05:34:45 AM »
I bet they just ate when they were hungry 4-5 times a day, trying to reach good amount of protein and took it all simple
eat more when you need to grow, eat less when you need to cut and always train heavy.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
Ask Coach how they ate - he followed the same thinking in his comp days - pretty sure was high protein low carb low to moderate fats.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 05:37:25 AM »
I spent time with Francis Benefatto when he stayed here in Durban and asked him about his diet (he was prepping for a guest posing). he ate between 2 and 3 meals a day when dieting. Sometimes his first meal was at midday or later. He also ate most of his carbs in the evening. Said he woke up in the middle of the night to carb up sometimes as he trained 1st thing on an empty stomach, he drank 3 litres of water while he weight trained

IMO When dieting two most important things are:

1) Being Calorie deficient (Calories in calories out)
2) Getting you macros right (i.e. 250g protein,300g carbs ,50g fat)

Use whatever foods you like to make up your chosen macro ratio (Within reason, best to use foods with the highest macro nutrient density).
The number of meals your food is broken down into whether it be 3,4,5,6,7 0r 8 makes little difference in the big picture. (4-5 fits in well with most peoples schedules)

Obsessing about meal timing is over rated (eating religiously every 2 or 3 hours by the clock  
agreed .. 2-3 meals is fine

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 07:33:42 AM »
Ric Drasin talked about the diet they used back in the 70s.

Hamburger patties....cottage cheese....omlettes....tu na salad....chicken....not a ton of carbs.

They also used Rheo Blair's protein powder......and on Sunday they would go completely off the diet and eat whatever they desired..... then right back on the diet the next day.

All in all....very basic.....they kept things simple.....these days I think people eat 6-8 meals a day and it is over the top.....just my .02 though.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 07:38:05 AM »
Ric Drasin talked about the diet they used back in the 70s.

Hamburger patties....cottage cheese....omlettes....tu na salad....chicken....not a ton of carbs.

They also used Rheo Blair's protein powder......and on Sunday they would go completely off the diet and eat whatever they desired..... then right back on the diet the next day.

All in all....very basic.....they kept things simple.....these days I think people eat 6-8 meals a day and it is over the top.....just my .02 though.
This!!

High protein,moderate fat intake, and low to no carbs................... ...4-6 x a day,counting shakes.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:30 AM »
Hmmm. I used your method of cycling carbs, also going very low. Using Adam's principals I've achieved far better results and in turn haven't had to kill myself by consuming 50g of carbs a day etc.

a calorie is a calorie.

Please kill yourself.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
Vince Gironda cutting diet consisted of eggs and beef only, and every 4 to 5 days a carb up meal he recommends pasta, he got alot of old timers in shape.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »
WTF you talkin' 'bout, bro  ???

3 meals a day ? You serious ?

If true, then I would be more than fuuukin' happy to stop stuffing fukin' 6 meals a day in my stomach and doing nuttin' but cooking.... So give me sum' facts and I will instantly change my "diet" to consist only of three meals a day.

PLS

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »
Just look through those old weightlifting mags. For every name bodybuilder that ate 6 meals there were way more that ate 2-4(usually if they ate 4, one of the meals was a snack). One of the more popular diet methods was just tuna and water for as many weeks as you could stand it :'( :-\.

The real push toward multiple meals came with the growth of supplement companies. Especially Met-Rx and EAS style packets. They knew that eating that many times is a pain, so they pushed the 5-8 meals a day plan, and then acted like they were doing you a favor by offering you their pre packaged shakes for $2-3 each.

Just fix the protein at a decent amount, and eat enough calories. How you break up those meals means very, very little in the grand scheme of things.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Hmmm. I used your method of cycling carbs, also going very low. Using Adam's principals I've achieved far better results and in turn haven't had to kill myself by consuming 50g of carbs a day etc.

a calorie is a calorie.
eat shit

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
Just look through those old weightlifting mags. For every name bodybuilder that ate 6 meals there were way more that ate 2-4(usually if they ate 4, one of the meals was a snack). One of the more popular diet methods was just tuna and water for as many weeks as you could stand it :'( :-\.

The real push toward multiple meals came with the growth of supplement companies. Especially Met-Rx and EAS style packets. They knew that eating that many times is a pain, so they pushed the 5-8 meals a day plan, and then acted like they were doing you a favor by offering you their pre packaged shakes for $2-3 each.

Just fix the protein at a decent amount, and eat enough calories. How you break up those meals means very, very little in the grand scheme of things.

This!

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
diet lol,,

it is all IN THE DRUGS USED AND THE TIMING YOU USE THEM AND IN THE DURATION ,,

DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ALL OF THOSE FELLAS USED TRENBOLONA ACE ,, PARABOLAN,, THOSE ARE DRUGS WHERE DIET DOTN MATTER ,, THE LONGER YOU ARE ON THEM THE CRAZIER NASTIER FREAKIER YOU LOOK ,, YOU DONT GET IT? I DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU ,,

THERE IS NO NEED FOR DIET TO GET TO 70S CONDITION ,, 2 WEEK CLEAN DIET AT THE END THATS ABOUT IT

TRENBOLONA ACE! I CANT KEEP SAYING THIS TRENBOLONA ACE IS WHAT BRING THE CONDITION OF A BODYBUILDER

HGH IS WHAT TAKES IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL OF DIMENTIONAL INCREASE

gh15 approved
fallen angel

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »
the main thing fellas dont understand is ,, that while we tell you wer take 50mg trenbolona ace every 2 day ....in reality we take 150mg every 12 hours lol or 200-400 mg every 24 hours or every 2 days....

fellas thikn that the body say ohhhhhhhhh no now the syrnge has a whole 3 ml of trenbolona ace in it i cant take it im going to go into shock,, BA FUCKIN LONIE,, the body accept it and cut itself during sleep with or with out your dry chiken ,, you can sit drink pineapple juice all day long with banans like a damn monkey sugar too icrecream and even pizza,, as long as you have in just enough calories and protien ...you will advance as bodybuilder and you will look AMAZING!

the higher trenbolona ace go ...the better you will look ,, diminishing returns is at the 2000mg a week  and its not diminishing it is just a level where the human body can not work with its animnalistic level that a cow will work with mayeb but not human ,, 200mg of trenbolona every day will and does create amazing physiqes,,again like with everything now day ....hgh wil have to be there to volumize it to the level you are used to now days...otherwize you will be stuck with frankie zane in the ....mid 70s

gh15 approved
fallen angel

sapp66

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
Gh15
At what point does body plateau or get used to certain tren dose where higher dose is needed? For instance if on 100mg day for 2 or 3 month can u up to 150 per day for next 3 month ? Also can u stay on tren all year long with just 1 or 2 month break here and there? U say ovr 2000mg a week can diminish returns can returns diminish after being on 150mg a day for long time or no?

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
the main thing fellas dont understand is ,, that while we tell you wer take 50mg trenbolona ace every 2 day ....in reality we take 150mg every 12 hours lol or 200-400 mg every 24 hours or every 2 days....

fellas thikn that the body say ohhhhhhhhh no now the syrnge has a whole 3 ml of trenbolona ace in it i cant take it im going to go into shock,, BA FUCKIN LONIE,, the body accept it and cut itself during sleep with or with out your dry chiken ,, you can sit drink pineapple juice all day long with banans like a damn monkey sugar too icrecream and even pizza,, as long as you have in just enough calories and protien ...you will advance as bodybuilder and you will look AMAZING!

the higher trenbolona ace go ...the better you will look ,, diminishing returns is at the 2000mg a week  and its not diminishing it is just a level where the human body can not work with its animnalistic level that a cow will work with mayeb but not human ,, 200mg of trenbolona every day will and does create amazing physiqes,,again like with everything now day ....hgh wil have to be there to volumize it to the level you are used to now days...otherwize you will be stuck with frankie zane in the ....mid 70s

gh15 approved
Ok, send me some tren ace "samples". You know where big man.  ;D ;)