Author Topic: 295 lb Front Squats from last leg workout.  (Read 13906 times)

Yev33

• Getbig III
295 lb Front Squats from last leg workout.
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

Started this training cycle a couple of months ago with 275 for 4 and 315 for a single.
Hoping to get 315 for 4-6 by the end of december.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: 295 lb Front Squats from last leg workout.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »
Looking strong!

Excellent depth!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
Thank you sir!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
Thank you sir!
You bet, man......Keep up the hard work!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
pretty good.  I gotta get doin those front squats when I get back.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
Nice work Yev, pretty good form with a heavy weight.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
It appears after the first rep the bar rolled on you, shifting the weight onto your front delts and arms, I think you need to keep your elbows up more to stop that. Good depth though.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

Keeping the bar in place can be tough on the later reps, actually on the fourth rep it rolled on me. It's mainly the upper back that gives out, making it more difficult to stay upright. Once the upper back goes out I can't keep my arms up anymore.

When I do them in the 8-12 rep range I really feel my upper back working to stay in position.
Despite all this though, my quads feel fried at the end.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
My advice, since I was able to to front squats with 3 plates for like 6-7 reps..

Always perform them in every leg workout. Dont ditch it for back squats, always front. you will get stronger..

As soon as I focused on another exersice...back squats for exampple, ive lost all of my strength in fronts.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:30:13 PM »
My advice, since I was able to to front squats with 3 plates for like 6-7 reps..

Always perform them in every leg workout. Dont ditch it for back squats, always front. you will get stronger..

As soon as I focused on another exersice...back squats for exampple, ive lost all of my strength in fronts.

I alternate two lower body workouts.

First one is:
Deadlifts
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raises
Hanging Leg Raises

Second one is:
Front Squats
Reverse Lunges
Single Leg Ham Curls
Seated Calf Raises
Incline Crunches

My progress has been good, started the cycle with deads at 410 for 4 and 455 for a single. Last deads workout got 430 for 5, and by december looking to get 450 for 4-6 and see how many I can get with 500. And hopefully around this time get 315 front squats for 4-6 as well.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:25 AM »
Nice squats bro!!  :)

My advice = tape your wrists and do them holding the bar in the clean position at your upper chest/throat area.............keep elbows nice and high,enjoy the extra reps you will get!! 

Don`t forget to tape or wrap your wrists.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »

My advice = tape your wrists and do them holding the bar in the clean position at your upper chest/throat area.............keep elbows nice and high,enjoy the extra reps you will get!! 

I have tried the Olympic clean grip for front squats before, but I would seriously need to work on my wrist flexibility ( can barely get one finger under the bar with the clean grip ). So I have been going with the BB hands across the bar grip. I have also tried using the wrist straps trick of wrapping the wrist wraps around your hands and the bar when using the clean grip, the hands across the bar always felt the most comfortable though.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
Tape my friend.  :)

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »
Tape my friend.  :)

If I go to the Oly clean grip I will definetely give it a try.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 06:05:26 AM »

Great advice wes...im gonna tape my wrists and try this grip next time..

by taping...are wrist wraps ok for this?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
No dis to anyone, but:    Again...why would you want, or need, to tape the wrist?

Not going to make it easier or the wrist more flexible. The more you practice the hold on shoulders part, the more flexibility will be gained. The triceps (and including the whole shoulder girdle & upper back) here are very important and are being stretched also. The higher the elbows are held, the more of a tricep stretch. Once getting adjusted to the exercise, the bar/weight will cradle it's self on the delts/upper chest. But it all depends on the height of the elbows and the stretch of the triceps. All in all, it's a pretty rock solid position for the bar. It's not the wrist so much, as it is the triceps.

A few lifters will hold the arms out (usually around 90 degrees at the elbows) with the hands out & away from the bar. Or crisscross the hands, with the fingers lightly touching the bar, if at all. People find their own style to what suits them. Some use straps or a towel, wrapped around the bar, and held with the hands. But still with the elbows high up. I believe there is a device designed to fit the bar, to help with front squats.

When front squatting with 400 to 500+ , the bar seems to settle in better and lifters find the exercise more natural to preform. I ,and others, find this true from experience. Good luck.

SideBar: As with this exercise, the elbows are a key factor factor in performance, and getting the most out of the effort. Include benches, shoulders (lateral raises, etc), lats work and many others, in all of this. Even triceps & biceps focus.
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »
No dis to anyone, but:    Again...why would you want, or need, to tape the wrist?

Not going to make it easier or the wrist more flexible. The more you practice the hold on shoulders part, the more flexibility will be gained. The triceps (and including the whole shoulder girdle & upper back) here are very important and are being stretched also. The higher the elbows are held, the more of a tricep stretch. Once getting adjusted to the exercise, the bar/weight will cradle it's self on the delts/upper chest. But it all depends on the height of the elbows and the stretch of the triceps. All in all, it's a pretty rock solid position for the bar. It's not the wrist so much, as it is the triceps.

A few lifters will hold the arms out (usually around 90 degrees at the elbows) with the hands out & away from the bar. Or crisscross the hands, with the fingers lightly touching the bar, if at all. People find their own style to what suits them. Some use straps or a towel, wrapped around the bar, and held with the hands. But still with the elbows high up. I believe there is a device designed to fit the bar, to help with front squats.

When front squatting with 400 to 500+ , the bar seems to settle in better and lifters find the exercise more natural to preform. I ,and others, find this true from experience. Good luck.

SideBar: As with this exercise, the elbows are a key factor factor in performance, and getting the most out of the effort. Include benches, shoulders (lateral raises, etc), lats work and many others, in all of this. Even triceps & biceps focus.

So which hand position would you recommend for the maximum performance on front squats? thanks.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
Meso-Z: The basic fingers on the bar, with the main attention on the elbow height. Even can use just the bar and practice setting it on the cradle of the shoulders/upper chest and raising the elbows as high as you can. Good warm-up for people not use to the exercise. Another good warm-up is doing a couple sets of light straight arm pullovers, which is an excellent tricep/shoulder/chest/upper back stretch.

If you want to try different hand placements later, than help yourself. But should learn the basic's first. Like anything else in training.
Good Luck.
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Meso-Z: The basic fingers on the bar, with the main attention on the elbow height. Even can use just the bar and practice setting it on the cradle of the shoulders/upper chest and raising the elbows as high as you can. Good warm-up for people not use to the exercise. Another good warm-up is doing a couple sets of light straight arm pullovers, which is an excellent tricep/shoulder/chest/upper back stretch.

If you want to try different hand placements later, than help yourself. But should learn the basic's first. Like anything else in training.
Good Luck.
Thanks..im going to try this tomorrow.  :)

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
I alternate two lower body workouts.

First one is:
Deadlifts
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raises
Hanging Leg Raises

Second one is:
Front Squats
Reverse Lunges
Single Leg Ham Curls
Seated Calf Raises
Incline Crunches

My progress has been good, started the cycle with deads at 410 for 4 and 455 for a single. Last deads workout got 430 for 5, and by december looking to get 450 for 4-6 and see how many I can get with 500. And hopefully around this time get 315 front squats for 4-6 as well.

pretty good and simple workout...
mine are a  little bit similar

tuesday = full squat - stiff legged dl - lunges.

friday = deadlift - front squat.

bread and butter style but really efficient.

asstropin

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 08:37:13 PM »

pretty good and simple workout...
mine are a  little bit similar

tuesday = full squat - stiff legged dl - lunges.

friday = deadlift - front squat.

bread and butter style but really efficient.

Absolutely, no need to do a bunch of excercises that will do nothing for your progress and only hurt your recovery.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »

Very true jpm,but I have found ,in my case anyway,that taping wrists because of the lack of wrist flexibility really helped ease the pressure/pain on my wrists.

Once I got accustomed to the exercise,I could do it without the aid of the tape.

I guess what I`m trying to say is that it offered me some support until I didn`t need it.

I know I could have just done exercises to increase wrist flexibilty,but I didn`t want to wait to use heavy poundages.  :)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
i used to do these the old hands crossed way..... used to strap my hands to the bar tho, awcward to strap to the bar, but effective..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
Thanks..im going to try this tomorrow.  :)
Great advice wes...im gonna tape my wrists and try this grip next time..

by taping...are wrist wraps ok for this?
Tape gives more support bro.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
Absolutely, no need to do a bunch of excercises that will do nothing for your progress and only hurt your recovery.

Nothing fancy, just put more weight on the bar month after month and leg and back will grow...

I read ton's of article and for dl and squat and with my personnal practice i think recovery of the lower back is the key, legs can tolerate a huge amont of work (squatting hard running etc), but lower back can burn out very quick and recovery of the lower back is the key for progress in dl and squat.

So i am very careful about it, and i generally do a light friday workout every 3 week.

lunge hit the leg from a different angle, stiff legged dl is a good assistance for squat and dl and front squat is indispensable...

Form should be perfect in squat and dl and i never hesitate to do a light workout if i feel i'm not "on it".
asstropin