Author Topic: Andrew Luck vs. Robert Griffin  (Read 59738 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Andrew Luck vs. Robert Griffin
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Luck has no running game, Washington does. Wash also has a much better D and special teams and more playmakers in all phases of the game. When Indy improves the talent around Luck, he will prove to be the superior player.

I agree stats can be misleading, although I don't think they are in this instance.  His numbers actually support his play on the field.  And you can just use the eyeball test.  Believe what you see.  He's a baller. 

I agree the Skins have a much better running game.  But Luck has Reggie Wayne. 

Defense?  Meh.  They both pretty much stink on D. 

You think RGIII is surrounded by talent now?  How good will he be when he has someone like Reggie Wayne? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
RGIII makes the Pro Bowl.  Luck is an alternate.  Great seasons by both players. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458329-nfl-pro-bowl-2013-roster-afc-nfc-voting-results-selections-and-alternates

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »
I agree stats can be misleading, although I don't think they are in this instance.  His numbers actually support his play on the field.  And you can just use the eyeball test.  Believe what you see.  He's a baller. 

I agree the Skins have a much better running game.  But Luck has Reggie Wayne. 

Defense?  Meh.  They both pretty much stink on D. 

You think RGIII is surrounded by talent now?  How good will he be when he has someone like Reggie Wayne? 

He is surrounded by talent in the backfield wth Alfred Morris at RB. He will eclispe 1500+ yards on the season and he adds to RGIII's deception in the pistol formation. He's able to drop back, hand it off to Morris or keep it on a bootleg. Once he gets a steady TE to go along with Pierre Garcon....He'll be even more dangerous.

As a Ravens fan it pains me to say it but...I'm a fan of his talent and he seems like a grounded, genuine person.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
He is surrounded by talent in the backfield wth Alfred Morris at RB. He will eclispe 1500+ yards on the season and he adds to RGIII's deception in the pistol formation. He's able to drop back, hand it off to Morris or keep it on a bootleg. Once he gets a steady TE to go along with Pierre Garcon....He'll be even more dangerous.

As a Ravens fan it pains me to say it but...I'm a fan of his talent and he seems like a grounded, genuine person.

A stud RB isn't exactly being surrounded by talent.  Someone surrounded by talent is Kaepernick (RB, TE, WR).  But no doubt Morris helped keep some of the pressure off RGIII.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 08:07:49 AM »
A stud RB isn't exactly being surrounded by talent.  Someone surrounded by talent is Kaepernick (RB, TE, WR).  But no doubt Morris helped keep some of the pressure off RGIII.

I think you're discounting Pierre Garcon a little....He's not too shabby when he's healthy. Anyway...RGIII is only going to get better. He needs to bulk up a little and get stronger in the offseason.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
I think you're discounting Pierre Garcon a little....He's not too shabby when he's healthy. Anyway...RGIII is only going to get better. He needs to bulk up a little and get stronger in the offseason.

Garcon is ok.  I think Santana Moss is better than him. 

RGIIII doesn't need to get bigger.  He's 217.  That's plenty of size to play QB in the NFL. 

Tough injury.  He shouldn't have been in the game.  Hope he recovers.  He has a bright future if healthy. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »
Garcon is ok.  I think Santana Moss is better than him.  

RGIIII doesn't need to get bigger.  He's 217.  That's plenty of size to play QB in the NFL.  

Tough injury.  He shouldn't have been in the game.  Hope he recovers.  He has a bright future if healthy.  

He doesn't look 217 to me, more like 205. He does need to beef up some, especially in his upper body. That will come naturally as he trains and his body matures.

Name me another starting QB besides Josh Wilson who is less than 220 pounds? 217 is VERY light in today's NFL at the QB position and I doubt he weighs that much.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
He doesn't look 217 to me, more like 205. He does need to beef up some, especially in his upper body. That will come naturally as he trains and his body matures.

Name me another starting QB besides Josh Wilson who is less than 220 pounds? 217 is VERY light in today's NFL at the QB position and I doubt he weighs that much.

He looks about 217 to me, but even if he's a little lighter, that's fine.  Why does he need to beef up?  His arm strength is fine.  He hasn't had durability problems.  (I don't generally consider knee injuries to be problems with durability.) 

Drew Brees is 6' 209.  Russell Wilson is 5'11" 206.  Alex Smith is 6'4" 217. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
He looks about 217 to me, but even if he's a little lighter, that's fine.  Why does he need to beef up?  His arm strength is fine.  He hasn't had durability problems.  (I don't generally consider knee injuries to be problems with durability.) 

Drew Brees is 6' 209.  Russell Wilson is 5'11" 206.  Alex Smith is 6'4" 217. 

Adding some more muscle will help build a callous to smaller injuries caused by impact collision. And this is second serious knee injury since college. I guarantee that RGE will be at least 10 pounds heavier than he is now by the 2014 season.

And you named me just two other guys outside of Wilson. Clearly, being less than 220 pounds at the QB position is not the norm in the NFL.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
Adding some more muscle will help build a callous to smaller injuries caused by impact collision. And this is second serious knee injury since college. I guarantee that RGE will be at least 10 pounds heavier than he is now by the 2014 season.

And you named me just two other guys outside of Wilson. Clearly, being less than 220 pounds at the QB position is not the norm in the NFL.

He's pretty much only had knee injuries.  Additional bulk, particularly in his upper body, will do nothing to prevent the kinds of knee injuries he has suffered. 

You asked for one.  I gave you two.   :)  Sure it's not the norm.  Neither is a 6' QB (Brees).  That doesn't mean a player has to be taller or heavier to be successful. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
He's pretty much only had knee injuries.  Additional bulk, particularly in his upper body, will do nothing to prevent the kinds of knee injuries he has suffered. 

You asked for one.  I gave you two.   :)  Sure it's not the norm.  Neither is a 6' QB (Brees).  That doesn't mean a player has to be taller or heavier to be successful. 

I wasn't talking about just building muscle in the upper body. I meant everywhere. Building your quadricep muscles can help prevent knee injuries, such as an ACL or LCL tear. In fact, most stubby legged running backs over the years have been the ones fortunate to avoid knee injuries. Ever hear about Barry Sanders hurting his knees?

I know we're talking about two different positions but form quad weight training does help prevent knee injuries. RG3 is only 22. His added bulk will be noticeable in a few years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »
I wasn't talking about just building muscle in the upper body. I meant everywhere. Building your quadricep muscles can help prevent knee injuries, such as an ACL or LCL tear. In fact, most stubby legged running backs over the years have been the ones fortunate to avoid knee injuries. Ever hear about Barry Sanders hurting his knees?

I know we're talking about two different positions but form quad weight training does help prevent knee injuries. RG3 is only 22. His added bulk will be noticeable in a few years.

I agree with part of this.  I never had a knee injury, until I started playing softball.   :-[ I attribute that partly to squats.  I'll be doing them till I die. 

That said, bulk doesn't necessarily equal strength.  He'll have to strengthen his quads, hams, and calves.  Doing so won't absolutely add weight.  Plus as a sprinter his wheels are probably already pretty strong.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »
Wilson................. ROY

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
Robert Griffin III is NFL rookie of the year, says his knee rehab is ahead of schedule
By Rick Maese, Feb 03, 2013

The Washington Post NEW ORLEANS — Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III won the Associated Press offensive rookie of the year award on Saturday night, tying a bow on a memorable season while also casting some optimism on the next one.

Speaking for the first time since undergoing extensive knee surgery nearly four weeks ago, Griffin said his rehabilitation is already ahead of schedule and he has “no doubt” he’ll be ready to play next season.

Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III is attending the NFL Honors in New Orleans on the eve of the Super Bowl, and said his injured knee is “feeling good.”

“My goal is Week 1,” he said. “That’s all I’m really worried about.”

. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-is-nfl-rookie-of-the-year-says-his-knee-rehab-is-ahead-of-schedule/2013/02/02/f4ff3c58-6d93-11e2-8740-9b58f43c191a_story.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »
I'd give the edge to Luck after two seasons.  RGIII had better the rookie season.  Luck has been better in year two, plus has a playoff win.

Here are some stats:

RGIII
532 for 849, 6403 yards, 62.7%, 36 TDs 17 INTs, 1304 yards rushing, 7 TDs

Luck
682 for 1197, 8196 yards, 57%, 46 TDs, 27 INTs, 632 yards rushing, 9 TDs

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
Has Luck always started playing after halftime, or is this something more recent?

Oggie Oglethorpe

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
Luck >>>>> RGinjured

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
Well I guess the pro debate isn't much of a debate.  I feel sorry for the kid.  Hope he lands in the right spot.

TUE SEP. 1, 2015
No More Hope

In a span of 32 months, Robert Griffin III went from rookie of the year to being demoted. As Washington mulls severing ties with RG3, here’s a look back at where it all went wrong and which team he could play for next

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/01/robert-griffin-rg3-washington-nfl

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »
Good bump ;D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
Well I guess the pro debate isn't much of a debate.  I feel sorry for the kid.  Hope he lands in the right spot.

TUE SEP. 1, 2015
No More Hope

In a span of 32 months, Robert Griffin III went from rookie of the year to being demoted. As Washington mulls severing ties with RG3, here’s a look back at where it all went wrong and which team he could play for next

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/01/robert-griffin-rg3-washington-nfl

Brutal

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »
Robert Griffin III won't be with Redskins next season, Bruce Allen says
John Keim
ESPN Staff Writer

Washington Redskins president Bruce Allen finally said publicly what has been a poorly kept secret for some time: Quarterback Robert Griffin III will play elsewhere next season. And, Allen said, he'll have his choice of teams to further his NFL career.

It's not surprising that the Redskins would be moving on from Griffin, but it is the first time a team official has said he won't be playing for Washington next season. Allen told the Dan Sileo Show on The Mighty 1090 in San Diego that Griffin would not be on the roster next season. Last month, general manager Scot McCloughan left open the remote possibility that Griffin could return, though even then team officials privately said the relationship was over.

"I see Robert getting an opportunity with another team," Allen said. "We've heard from some teams that are interested. I think he's going to have a choice of a couple teams that will let him excel in the future."

Robert Griffin III won't be back with the Redskins in 2016, but team president Bruce Allen believes that the QB will land elsewhere. "I think he's going to have a choice of a couple teams that will let him excel in the future," Allen said. AP Photo/Greg Trott

The Redskins have been able to release Griffin since Feb. 8, the day after the Super Bowl. They can release him any time until 4 p.m. March 9, when the new league year begins. If Griffin were still on the roster at that point, his 2016 option would kick in and he would count $16.155 million against the salary cap.

Washington has held on to Griffin, hoping that another team would trade a low-round pick for him. For that to happen, Griffin would have to agree to redo his option before the start of the league year. The Redskins could not complete any deal until the start of the league year.

One source considered any trade a longshot, but the Redskins are holding on to him for now, just in case.

Griffin, the 2012 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, did not take one snap last season. He was only active for one game, serving as the No. 3 quarterback after losing his starting job to Kirk Cousins.

"From the very beginning, Robert has handled himself like a professional," Allen said. "When we drafted him all the way through, he's been a good teammate and a good guy. I know some people on the outside always like to be critical, but his teammates like him, his coaches like him and he does have some special talents and we wish him well."

The Redskins are trying to work out a long-term deal with Cousins, but the sides have reached an impasse. Washington can always use the franchise tag to keep Cousins around for at least another year; the deadline for using the tag is March 1.

"The good thing is, Kirk said he wants to be a Redskin and we want him to be a Redskin," Allen said. "So these things usually work themselves out about this time or in the next few weeks. So we're pretty confident of that."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14831486/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-next-season-bruce-allen-says

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Redskins inform Robert Griffin III of release
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor
Published: March 7, 2016

There was a time not so long ago when Robert Griffin III was considered the brightest young star in football. Now his departure from the Washington Redskins feels like little more than paperwork.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Griffin was informed he will be released Monday, according to a team source. The only surprise regarding the news was that it took so long for the Redskins to finalize, but they wanted to make sure that starter Kirk Cousins was under contract for 2016 before making anything official. Cousins signed his franchise tag tender last week. ESPN first reported the Griffin news.

Griffin didn't play a single snap last season for the Redskins. In theory, this was to ensure their quarterback's health in an effort to maintain his trade value. In reality, Griffin played like the third-best quarterback on the team the last two seasons behind Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy. He was due $16.1 million in 2016 as part of the fifth-year option on his rookie contract. RGIII goes down as a new CBA footnote, the first player to be released after having his fifth-year option picked up.

The start of Griffin's career was anything but a footnote. A standout rookie campaign in 2012 made RGIII a superstar after being drafted No. 2 overall, culminating in a Redskins playoff berth and NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors over Andrew Luck. His career was never the same, however, after tearing his ACL and MCL in the Redskins' playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Griffin wound up getting benched under two coaches: Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden. Griffin was named the team's starter last offseason by Gruden, but never got his job back after suffering a preseason loss to the Lions last August 20. Griffin was one of the least effective starters in the league in 2014, with four touchdowns and six picks in seven starts. He did not appear comfortable in Gruden's offense and didn't use his mobility as a weapon nearly as much as he did as a rookie.

Griffin will have a market as a free agent, but it should only be as a backup for now. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported last week the Chiefs, Broncos and Cowboys each would be interested in the 26-year-old quarterback once he hits the open market. Playing behind an established starter where Griffin's big name is less of a story could be his best route.

Then again, we know that Griffin will be a big story wherever he goes. Once one of the faces of the league, Griffin now will be battling just to prove he belongs in it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641782/article/redskins-inform-robert-griffin-iii-of-release?campaign=fb-nf-sf22094337-sf22094337

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »
Ex-Redskins TE Chris Cooley: many players ‘did not like’ RG3
by SI Wire
Posted: Tue Mar. 8, 2016

Former Redskins tight end Chris Cooley says Robert Griffin III was not the most popular teammate during his time with the team.

Cooley, who spent his entire career (2004–’12) as a member of the team, spoke on ESPN 980 radio on Monday and spoke with candor on the recently-released Griffin’s relationships with teammates, including fellow quarterback Kirk Cousins.

“There was never a friendship relationship,” Cooley said of Griffin and Cousins, according to The Washington Post. “From the moment Kirk was drafted, I think Robert had animosity towards him. A lot of people in this area hated that fourth-round pick; I don’t think anyone hated it as much as RG3 hated it.”

Cooley added that Cousins and Griffin never hung out, and that veteran Rex Grossman, at one point the third-string quarterback, noticed how bad the situation was getting.

Cooley also said many other teammates disliked Griffin, including the offensive linemen.

“The offensive line did not like Robert Griffin,” Cooley said. “A lot of the receivers did not like Robert Griffin. The offensive line had a problem with Robert, because they were considered for a year and a half or two years a terrible offensive line that couldn’t protect a quarterback. A lot of that isn’t true. A lot of that was Robert. A lot of the sacks were put on Robert. Want to believe it or not, they were, okay? Football-wise, they were: it was Robert.”

He added that Griffin never took responsibility for his own mistakes with regard to being sacked, and that receivers were frustrated by not getting the ball.

“Robert did have friends, of course he had friends, but there were a lot of guys on this team that said it doesn’t benefit me—as a player, as an individual—and we don’t know if it benefits the team with him under center at this point,” Cooley said.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/08/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-chris-cooley-teammates-dislike?xid=si_social

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
I would say Cleveland is where NFL careers go to die, but his career is already on life support.  Might be good to go someplace with low expectations?

Browns sign Robert Griffin III
The Cleveland Browns have signed former Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.
BY SI WIRE
Posted: Thu Mar. 24, 2016

Get breaking news and SI’s biggest stories instantly. Download the new Sports Illustrated app (iOS or Android) and personalize your experience by following your favorite teams and SI writers.

The Cleveland Browns have signed quarterback Robert Griffin III, the team announced Thursday.

Griffin’s contract is for two years and $15 million, and can be worth up to $22 million including incentives, reports USA Today’s Tom Pelissero.

“I’m just excited to come in and compete,” Griffin said of joining the Browns. “Nothing’s ever been given to me in my life, so I just want to go out and compete with the guys and grow with this team. I feel like that’s all I’m really focused on. I cherish the opportunity to get another chance to play this beautiful game.”

• A timeline of Robert Griffin III’s career

Griffin became a free agent earlier this month when he was released by the Redskins. Washington drafted Griffin with the No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft.

Griffin did not play all of last season after losing his starting job to Kirk Cousins, who led the Redskins to the playoffs. Griffin, who won the Heisman Trophy with Baylor in 2011, has struggled to find the form of his rookie season, when he posted a 102.4 passer rating in 15 games, throwing 20 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Injuries have since slowed Griffin, who played in only 22 games combined in 2013 and 2014.

The Browns are searching for stability at the quarterback position after switching between Johnny Manziel and Josh McCown last season. Manziel was waived earlier this month.

In his 37 career games, Griffin has competed 63.9% of his passes for 8,097 yards, 40 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. He has also run for 1,480 yards and eight scores.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/24/cleveland-browns-sign-robert-griffin-iii?xid=si_social

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Andrew Luck guaranteed record $87 million in long-term extension
Mike Wells
ESPN Staff Writer

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay stuck to his word and secured franchise quarterback Andrew Luck's long-term future with the organization before the start of the 2016 season.

The Colts announced Wednesday that Luck has signed an extension through the 2021 season that will make him the highest-paid player in the NFL, based on guaranteed salary.

Irsay announced the massive terms in a tweet:

The NFL's previous biggest contract was the five-year, $110 million deal the Green Bay Packers gave quarterback Aaron Rodgers in 2013. Last summer, the Seattle Seahawks gave quarterback Russell Wilson a four-year, $87.6 million extension that included $60 million in guaranteed money.

Sources told ESPN that Luck is guaranteed $87 million with this extension. The previous most-guaranteed money for any NFL player was $65 million for both Eli Manning of the New York Giants and Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers.

"I am thrilled and excited to continue with this great organization," Luck said in a statement. "I am thankful to the Irsay family and Mr. Irsay for providing me with this great opportunity and the trust that they've shown in me. I can't wait for this season to start."

The No. 1 pick in 2012 out of Stanford, Luck took the NFL by storm the moment he stepped onto the field. He made the franchise's transition from Peyton Manning a smooth one by leading the Colts to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons, including the AFC Championship Game in 2014 and back-to-back AFC South titles.

What the Colts proved by giving Andrew Luck the largest deal in NFL history was that they believe what happened in 2015, his worst season, was a fluke.

Why Andrew Luck's mega deal is a letdown for future QBs

Luck signed a contract extension making him the NFL's highest-paid player, but he could have -- and should have -- gotten more money. Quarterbacks looking for big deals will feel the effects.

Colts banking on Luck putting 2015 behind him

Can Andrew Luck turn things around from an uncharacteristic down year in 2015? A look at areas where he struggled last year.

Luck has the fourth-most passing yards (14,838) by any quarterback in his first four seasons in NFL history. He also is the fourth quarterback with at least 100 touchdown passes through four years, including an NFL-leading 40 in 2014.

But Luck isn't immune to struggles.

The 26-year-old is coming off the worst season of his four-year NFL career, completing just 55.3 percent of his pass attempts and committing 13 turnovers in 2015. He also showed he's not invincible. He missed two games early in the year due to a rib injury, and then he missed the final seven when he suffered a lacerated kidney early in the fourth quarter against the Denver Broncos in Week 9. He also dealt with shoulder and abdominal injuries.

For months, Irsay had said he hoped and expected this agreement would be done around the Fourth of July holiday, if not before training camp. His goal now has been achieved.

"The organization is excited about getting this deal done and getting it done before the 4th of July," Irsay said. "It's a big number. It was a deal that was fair deal for both sides taking into account being [salary] cap friendly, being reasonable in the last year in 2021."

Luck was scheduled to make $16.155 million this season, the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

The Colts report to training camp July 26 at Anderson (Indiana) University.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16619414/andrew-luck-signs-extension-indianapolis-colts