Author Topic: Any of you Buddhist?  (Read 11540 times)

berblexer

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Any of you Buddhist?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
LOL, if it did, Panda would look more like the Hulk than Buddha.

And suckmymuscle would look like a Gorilla
Team Pat Banana

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
LOL, if it did, Panda would look more like the Hulk than Buddha.

;D

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 06:46:31 PM »
And suckmymuscle would look like a Gorilla

"The gorilla whisperer"  ;D

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
Thats the problem with buddhism, there is nothing wrong with attachment, their is nothing wrong with feeling despair when those things are gone.  This is human, buddhists are always wanting to escape reality and turn it into something it is not.  The fact is the world has and always be a hostile environment for life, and being a mung bean eating meditator just isolates people from living their life.  It is a lie that there is some type of enlightenment.  The sooner people face these facts, the sooner they can live a productive full life.  Religion just acts as a roadblock to the truth.  Hope this helps

you do speak some truth about Buddhism but it all depends on if you are practicing it in the right way....of course Buddhists have attachments....but you should not be SO attached that if you lose it then you become depressed or dysfunctional.....becaus e it is within that dysfunction that you make poor choices which exacerbate things...and yes the world is a hostile environment and Buddhism is a way to keep yourself sane in an insane world..I guarantee you that if you practiced it, you would feel different..like you are living in another dimension and can see things in a clear way which others are unable to see..because Buddhism is rational

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »
you do speak some truth about Buddhism but it all depends on if you are practicing it in the right way....of course Buddhists have attachments....but you should not be SO attached that if you lose it then you become depressed or dysfunctional.....becaus e it is within that dysfunction that you make poor choices which exacerbate things...and yes the world is a hostile environment and Buddhism is a way to keep yourself sane in an insane world..I guarantee you that if you practiced it, you would feel different..like you are living in another dimension and can see things in a clear way which others are unable to see..because Buddhism is rational
I was an advocate of buddhism for 15 years, until I realised that they have all types of weirdo, mystical beliefs that are just utter nonsense.  They are stuck in the past.  Once again, becoming depressed or dysfuctional is OK.  I believe religion keeps people insane in a sane world.  The only sane people I meet are atheists or agnostics, the rest are just delusional.  Buddhism isnt rational, it is based on all types of wishful thinking, like re-incarnation and karma for instance, none of which can be proven - and the onus of proof is on the person who speaks, and as of yet I havent heard one valid argument for reincarnation or karma.
V

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »
I was an advocate of buddhism for 15 years, until I realised that they have all types of weirdo, mystical beliefs that are just utter nonsense.  They are stuck in the past.  Once again, becoming depressed or dysfuctional is OK.  I believe religion keeps people insane in a sane world.  The only sane people I meet are atheists or agnostics, the rest are just delusional.  Buddhism isnt rational, it is based on all types of wishful thinking, like re-incarnation and karma for instance, none of which can be proven - and the onus of proof is on the person who speaks, and as of yet I havent heard one valid argument for reincarnation or karma.

I agree with you....which is why as I said in an earlier post that I only practice the psychological part of Buddhism NOT the religious part....as for the reincarnation part, like some, I believe that there is no God as people usually think of one...he is not some man in heaven....our god is basically the stars in the universe which is where we all come from...once we die that energy within us (usually referred to as a soul) goes back to the stars from whence it came....

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
I agree with you....which is why as I said in an earlier post that I only practice the psychological part of Buddhism NOT the religious part....as for the reincarnation part, like some, I believe that there is no God as people usually think of one...he is not some man in heaven....our god is basically the stars in the universe which is where we all come from...once we die that energy within us (usually referred to as a soul) goes back to the stars from whence it came....
Sounds like a nice theory, but I dont think it possible to know what happens when we die, if we were supposed to know, we would.  But the mystery of it all is what makes life interesting.
V

dustin

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »
E-kul, you can be Buddhist and modern too. I don't even label myself as a bodybuilder but I guess I could say I incorporate a lot of Buddha nature into my everyday life.

My big thing is being modern, compassionate and universally cognizant. I understand and appreciate that all sentient beings inherently suffer and I don't shit on people because of this understanding. Life shits on everyone and it's not appropriate for me to shit on people even more. I am hold myself especially responsible because I understand this and know how my actions affect others.

I would write more and be more coherent if I weren't posting from my phone and if I wasn't so fucked up from painkillers right now. I think everyone can adopt some Buddhist teachings no matter what religion or background. I love all you stupid mother fuckers and wish you the best (except that turd Vince Goodrum). Cockspeed!

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
E-kul, you can be Buddhist and modern too. I don't even label myself as a bodybuilder but I guess I could say I incorporate a lot of Buddha nature into my everyday life.

My big thing is being modern, compassionate and universally cognizant. I understand and appreciate that all sentient beings inherently suffer and I don't shit on people because of this understanding. Life shits on everyone and it's not appropriate for me to shit on people even more. I am hold myself especially responsible because I understand this and know how my actions affect others.

I would write more and be more coherent if I weren't posting from my phone and if I wasn't so fucked up from painkillers right now. I think everyone can adopt some Buddhist teachings no matter what religion or background. I love all you stupid mother fuckers and wish you the best (except that turd Vince Goodrum). Cockspeed!
But all Indingenous cultures have had similar nature loving peace loving attitudes, and what happened to them, they were blown out of existence by more aggressive races.  I believe compassion is weakness, and not suited to living in the modern world.  The Dalai Lama, for instance has never had sexual relations, never had to handle money and never had to live a normal life, who the hell is he to give advice on living, the man is treated like a child by his followers, they do everything for him.  The Dalai Lama would be fucked if he had to fend for himslef.  If we lived in a Utopia or even a moderately civilised society, compassion would have a place, but in a competitive democracy, being kind and compassionate will get you eaten alive.  Oh, and by the way, I hate with pure guilt free abandon, I dont love everyone, and I dont care if they love me.  I love me, and thats all that counts.  I dont have compassion for arseholes, that is illogical.  Buddhism leads people away from the truth, not towards it.
V

dustin

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »
But all Indingenous cultures have had similar nature loving peace loving attitudes, and what happened to them, they were blown out of existence by more aggressive races.  I believe compassion is weakness, and not suited to living in the modern world.  The Dalai Lama, for instance has never had sexual relations, never had to handle money and never had to live a normal life, who the hell is he to give advice on living, the man is treated like a child by his followers, they do everything for him.  The Dalai Lama would be fucked if he had to fend for himslef.  If we lived in a Utopia or even a moderately civilised society, compassion would have a place, but in a competitive democracy, being kind and compassionate will get you eaten alive.  Oh, and by the way, I hate with pure guilt free abandon, I dont love everyone, and I dont care if they love me.  I love me, and thats all that counts.  I dont have compassion for arseholes, that is illogical.  Buddhism leads people away from the truth, not towards it.

Compassion isn't weak if you just use you're mind. Like I said, I'm modern too. I enjoy shooting fat doses of trenbologna, smoking fine ass chronic and slamming my wife's vag on the regular.

The monks I've met at least encouraged me to take what works and disregard what doesn't. If you're a generally goods person you'll make the right decisions. Don't have to chant all day and smell like nag champa. Don't have to be a pussy by any means.

Oh, I do have a sick Buddha necklace too lol. Shit's all iced out and gangster looking. 8)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
Whats it all about?

If you examine the world, you'll see that nothing in it is permanent, not even your consciousness which beholds it.  Everything is changing, so the 'existence' of a thing is an illusion.  It is a mistake and a cause of unhappiness to cling to something, including yourself, as if it were lasting.  

The appealing thing to me about Hinduism and it's offshoots like Buddhism, if I can ignore some of the absurd ends that people bring them to, is that they try to have a foundation in inquiry rather than revelation.  Whether you agree with them or not, you're always free to discuss it without restraint.  Western monotheism tends to take revelation as essential.  You can't be Christian if you've never been exposed to Christ, whereas anyone examining the nature of things might reach Buddhist-like conclusions even if they never heard of Buddhism.

You might dig the Upanishads too, Wiggs.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:15 AM »
Dude some of the most unhappiest and depressed people I have met were atheists, like they wanted to rain on everybody's parade and were the Grumpy Carebear.

I have met people who do follow Buddhist teachings, and meditate and are very calm, full of life, knowledge, and a inner strength that atheists seemingly lack.

It seems that you are stuck on dogmas...and dogmas=unhappiness.

Think about your woman hating thread...another dogma

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 01:01:42 AM »
I am a Buddhist,.....I live my life as a Buddhist but not in the strictest sense since in this day and age it would be really difficult to do so.....but I use Buddhist principles as a guide for daily living...this is it in a nutshell;..

Buddhists believe that human misery and unhappiness is caused by being attached to things...and that this attachment causes us to behave in ways which are mentally detrimental to ourselves and brings on unhappiness....for example....being so attached to a woman that her leaving would cause you to get angry, go into a depression, maybe even kill her (and wind up in prison), or kill yourself....we see this all the time....another example would be to be really attached to your car or other material possessions....what happens when you no longer have the car or it gets totalled???....again some go into depression....not getting a promotion you wanted....so you react by getting angry, maybe cursing out your boss, maybe you stop doing your best work..all of which could lead to you being fired....by not being so attached to "things" you avoid being thrown into a state of despair when you can't have those things or can never attain them...

it is emotionalism that makes us as humans do stupid things which then cause us even more misery....emotions get us into trouble....by detaching yourself from people and things and not making them so important you can approach life every day with a sense of well-being which enables you to make good rational decisions since emotion will play no part in your decision-making process....everything in moderation...too much of anything (sex, food, etc) is not healthy and can unbalance you as a person... you can love, have sex, eat, drink, whatever, but not to the point where it controls you and you then make poor decisions which get you in trouble....having sex all the time indiscriminately for example is great in theory but can lead to AIDS, or getting the wrong woman pregnant who will then make you miserable and kill you in child support...how many of our friends have we seen get caught up in this???..

As a Buddhist you have to practice mindfulness which means that you avoid having bad thoughts in your mind and you avoid negative feelings at all cost....you keep your mind clear all the time and you don't dwell on negativity..how do you do this???..every time a negative thought crosses your mind you must immediately recognize it and then stop thinking about it and banish it from your mind....thats the key...and by doing this constantly you begin to attain a state of  well being where nothing bothers you....your ultimate goal is to get to NIRVANA...this is attained after years of practicing mindfulness where you attain the ultimate bliss...nothing at all EVER bothers you and you are calm, serene, and content with yourself and with others at ALL TIMES no matter what they do....NIRVANA takes years to obtain where you never have negative thoughts or display any anger, or thoughts of depression, revenge, etc....it takes plenty of practice and is a daily struggle

you should not always be in a heightened state of elation either..since you will eventually crash emotionally ..it is basically keeping your emotions even..never going too high or too low because even being TOO happy can cause you to make poor decisions....if you start today, you won't attain NIRVANA for 10-15-20 years...but by starting now you put yourself on the path to Nirvana....that path is called THE WAY....NIRVANA is the ultimate heaven....you are peaceful with yourself and the world...you accept yourself, those around you, and you are happy because you have all that you need and you are not trying to attain things you will NEVER get..unlike your friends who are running around chasing dreams and are very unhappy that all their chasing is not accomplishing anything...

finally when at work there are rules that Buddhists follow so as to increase their chance of success and so as to not get themselves entangled in bad things....you cannot steal...not even a pencil or paper or paper clip..you cannot talk about your boss to other co-workers...you cannot gossip...you must say hello to everyone when you come in and goodbye when you are leaving so as to spread positive energy and not create misunderstandings....("that guy must not like me since he didn't say hello")..you must keep a clear desk without clutter so as to be organized and more productive...also you must meditate often to help clear your mind..

sorry for being so long-winded but this is it in a nutshell......this is only the psychological part of Buddhism....the religious part is more complicated...I don't practice that part of it because its just too strange...

Great post. I try to implement as much of the teachings in my daily life as possible and it has made me a much better person. Since 3 years I'm a much 'lighter', more positive person and a lot of great things happened to me since a changed my attitude around. Creating awareness of your thoughts and feelings made me more stable, and less susceptible to emotional based decisions.
I do think it needs to be said that the only way to reach enlightenment is through meditation, which comes in all forms and is (for me) the hardest part..
But as always, the path is the goal..

Peace

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 06:08:09 AM »
If you examine the world, you'll see that nothing in it is permanent, not even your consciousness which beholds it.  Everything is changing, so the 'existence' of a thing is an illusion.  It is a mistake and a cause of unhappiness to cling to something, including yourself, as if it were lasting.  

The appealing thing to me about Hinduism and it's offshoots like Buddhism, if I can ignore some of the absurd ends that people bring them to, is that they try to have a foundation in inquiry rather than revelation.  Whether you agree with them or not, you're always free to discuss it without restraint.  Western monotheism tends to take revelation as essential.  You can't be Christian if you've never been exposed to Christ, whereas anyone examining the nature of things might reach Buddhist-like conclusions even if they never heard of Buddhism.

You might dig the Upanishads too, Wiggs.
But clinging to things is imperative to human survival, and I don't believe everything is changing, it is a paradox, like the old cliche, the more things change the more they stay the same.  If everything changes, then so will the fact that everything changes.  Most peoples unhappiness is caused by other people, not the things they cling too.  I just think Buddhism is too vague, like how do you not become attached to something, the only way to become unattached is to get to a point where you either don't like nor dislike anything, as we are drawn to things we like, and withdraw from things we don't.  So to develop this attitude, one needs to become passionless and just live a basic existence.  I would prefer my joys and my sufferings to some flatline existence where I pretend to be OK with things.
V

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »
E-kul, shut the hell up, you receantly made a thread dedicated to hating women. Stupid :D

I can't take none of you phonys seriously, woman hater buddhist trying to have a philosophical conversation about peace with a male bodybuilder worshipper who sticks needels in his ass.

Most ridiculous thread ever.

Losers!

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:32 AM »
Dude some of the most unhappiest and depressed people I have met were atheists, like they wanted to rain on everybody's parade and were the Grumpy Carebear.

I have met people who do follow Buddhist teachings, and meditate and are very calm, full of life, knowledge, and a inner strength that atheists seemingly lack.

It seems that you are stuck on dogmas...and dogmas=unhappiness.

Think about your woman hating thread...another dogma
Buddhists are atheists, shows how much you know
As seen in the Basic Points of Buddhism, one doctrine agreed upon by all branches of modern Buddhism is that "this world is not created and ruled by a God."
The Buddha himself rejected metaphysical speculation as a matter of principle, and his teachings focused entirely on the practical ways to end suffering.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »
E-kul, shut the hell up, you receantly made a thread dedicated to hating women. Stupid :D

I can't take none of you phonys seriously, woman hater buddhist trying to have a philosophical conversation about peace with a male bodybuilder worshipper who sticks needels in his ass.

Most ridiculous thread ever.

Losers!
This is the most nonsense post I have read in a long time, what are you trying to say dude.
V

devilsmile

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 06:18:34 AM »
This is the most nonsense post I have read in a long time, what are you trying to say dude.

If you try to convinse people about meditation, and self healing, energies and all that crap buddhism sayes, shouldn't you realise that your thread about hating women is kind of ironic?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 06:22:06 AM »
If you try to convince people about meditation, and self healing, energies and all that crap Buddhism sayes, shouldn't you realise that your thread about hating women is kind of ironic?
I think you have me confused for someone else, I am just posting in this thread, I didnt start the topic, and if you read the whole thread, I said I used to advocate Buddhism, but I haven't for a long time - I consider myself an agnostic.  I don't know why you think I support Buddhism, I think they are all nuts - Christians, Catholics, Jews, Protestans etc etc.  Religion is poison, and should be eliminated from the face of the earth.
V

devilsmile

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 06:22:54 AM »
you did start the thread

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=400723.0

and here you talk about nonsense too.

I don't know what I've missed... really don't give a crap

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »

As a Buddhist, you don't have a be a peace-lovin tree hugger....LOL...you can fight if you feel threatened..you just cannot initiate said action and you should never be so angry as to do so.........in Buddhist teachings if someone is making threatening gestures toward you..you are to stay perfectly still and relax..don't egg the person on by returning his aggressiveness...give the guy a chance to back down or calm down but if the person attacks you, you are free to whip his ass if you choose to do so.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
fatpanda was a buddhist

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »

Great post. I try to implement as much of the teachings in my daily life as possible and it has made me a much better person. Since 3 years I'm a much 'lighter', more positive person and a lot of great things happened to me since a changed my attitude around. Creating awareness of your thoughts and feelings made me more stable, and less susceptible to emotional based decisions.
I do think it needs to be said that the only way to reach enlightenment is through meditation, which comes in all forms and is (for me) the hardest part..
But as always, the path is the goal..

Peace

Good post as well....glad to see that the teachings are helping you.....believe me it is a daily struggle but I believe that I have been helped by this tremendously....I was getting a lot of negative thoughts in my mind especially toward my ex-wife and I actually had thoughts of violence against her.....I also wanted to call her a lot of names which is dangerous because once you do that, you can't take it back....and many people in the world tend to say things which they shouldn't say.....it spreads a lot of ill will and you don't gain anything from it....it is best to have restraint.....there have been many many times when I wanted to say something bad to someone or get violent with someone due to anger....but I then practice mindfulness and remove those thoughts from my mind....well..many times once i have done this, the person I was angry with has later on come to me and done something wonderful for me....which would not have happened had I cursed that person out or hit him/her....you get back from the world what you put into the world

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »
If you examine the world, you'll see that nothing in it is permanent,
So are you suggesting that the only thing that is permanent, is that nothing is permanent?
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
you did start the thread

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=400723.0

and here you talk about nonsense too.

I don't know what I've missed... really don't give a crap
I was talking about the Are you buddhist thread, I didnt start that one, and yes I did start the woman hater thread. And yes, you dont know what you have missed.
V