Author Topic: Should the military press be restored to olympic lifting?  (Read 12379 times)

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
Re: Should the military press be restored to olympic lifting?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »
yep and sometimes i wonder "and for what" i mean it's cool but is it really so much cooler as a big bench or big squat

i donno...

the way of training is also pretty unproductive for naturals because of the massive amount of work your legs do on the snatch and the clean and then you're supposed to do a squats workout

i mean really

no wonder i plateaud so fucking hard it's over training to the max

still cool sport but not worth it if you're not on roids imho

you end up with huge quads and a preteens boy body all over

this is the case for 95% of amateurs in that sport

yes! big huge quads and a huge ass with a shit upper body is what you end up with. I was like why the fuck am I going to do front squats with 500 pounds every day, and people not even be able to tell i workout. Vs take shitloads of drugs, train like a pussy 3 times a week, never do squats and deadlifts,  but actually look like a bodybuilder down the road.  The choice was easy for me...
l

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:19 AM »
yes! big huge quads and a huge ass with a shit upper body is what you end up with. I was like why the fuck am I going to do front squats with 500 pounds every day, and people not even be able to tell i workout. Vs take shitloads of drugs, train like a pussy 3 times a week, never do squats and deadlifts,  but actually look like a bodybuilder down the road.  The choice was easy for me...

even without drugs lifting 3 times a week training the whole body will give a much better physique and all around strength

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »
even without drugs lifting 3 times a week training the whole body will give a much better physique and all around strength

I'm not sure full body workouts are optimal for bodybuilding. I know they were popular in the 40s and 50s before drug use became widespread but I mean even with all the drug use that is going on there has to be a reason as to why bodybuilders split up the workouts.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 07:43:33 AM »
I'm not sure full body workouts are optimal for bodybuilding. I know they were popular in the 40s and 50s before drug use became widespread but I mean even with all the drug use that is going on there has to be a reason as to why bodybuilders split up the workouts.

full body workout is the best choice for the natural lifter, countless "vets" will tell you the same

the reason is simple

body part splits have too much volume all at once and at the same time not enough frequency

at least that's my understanding

and i tried both and found a lot better results with full body approach. and with full body i dont mean garbage like layne norton i mean good old 5x5 shit

peace

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
full body workout is the best choice for the natural lifter, countless "vets" will tell you the same

the reason is simple

body part splits have too much volume all at once and at the same time not enough frequency

at least that's my understanding

and i tried both and found a lot better results with full body approach. and with full body i dont mean garbage like layne norton i mean good old 5x5 shit

peace

Very few big guys (in bodybuilding) use full body workouts anymore, natural or not.

I think a 2-way split would be a better option and would allow you to train bodyparts twice a week. Research suggests this as an optimal frequency for non newbies. The big problem with full body workouts is that it's very difficult to train all of your body in one workout. Quality simply goes down after a few exercises and it's hard to do enough volume for every body part. You don't want to do too much volume but not too little either.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »
I think a 2-way split would be a better option and would allow you to train bodyparts twice a week. Research suggests this as an optimal frequency for non newbies. The big problem with full body workouts is that it's very difficult to train all of your body in one workout. Quality simply goes down after a few exercises and it's hard to do enough volume for every body part. You don't want to do too much volume but not too little either.

the typical 5x5 routine will have you squat, bench and row hard twice a week, and deadlift + military press once a week

pretty good deal

they add assistance exercises here and there but that's the main idea

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »

the typical 5x5 routine will have you squat, bench and row hard twice a week, and deadlift + military press once a week

pretty good deal

they add assistance exercises here and there but that's the main idea

Yeah I'm aware of the type of routine you are talking about (there are many variations of it and bill starr was/is a big advocate for it), but it's not really a bodybuilding routine. Not saying you can't add mass using it, of course you can but if it was the best way then more bodybuilders would be using it.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
Yeah I'm aware of the type of routine you are talking about (there are many variations of it and bill starr was/is a big advocate for it), but it's not really a bodybuilding routine. Not saying you can't add mass using it, of course you can but if it was the best way then more bodybuilders would be using it.

i was doing a bodybuilding routine for a year and noticed my strength wasn't increasing then i said hey maybe if i do a routine that increases bench squat deadlift it would be better than this for bodybuilding

but i dont know

i guess natural bodybuilding is just a scam and at least you can gain some strength naturally  :-\

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
i was doing a bodybuilding routine for a year and noticed my strength wasn't increasing then i said hey maybe if i do a routine that increases bench squat deadlift it would be better than this for bodybuilding

but i dont know

i guess natural bodybuilding is just a scam and at least you can gain some strength naturally  :-\

I don't know either  :D. Some say this, other say that. The more I read the more confused I get. I should start using drugs and stop researching (reading studies etc).  ;D

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
I don't know either  :D. Some say this, other say that. The more I read the more confused I get. I should start using drugs and stop researching (reading studies etc).  ;D

once you're on steroids you know everything

;D

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »
shut your cockholster captain retardo

That's pretty damn funny.

"Cockholster" ha ha.

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
once you're on steroids you know everything

;D

Drug users seem to discuss training much less than us naturals. I have checked some roid forums and no one gives a crap about training, all they discuss is drugs.

I wish it was legal and I wasn't such a big pussy.  :D

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »
Drug users seem to discuss training much less than us naturals. I have checked some roid forums and no one gives a crap about training, all they discuss is drugs.

I wish it was legal and I wasn't such a big pussy.  :D

if the law is what's keeping you from taking them why not go to a doctor who specializes in competitive sports

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
if the law is what's keeping you from taking them why not go to a doctor who specializes in competitive sports

It's not only the law, I'm also afraid of the side effects (hair loss is high on the list). And where I live you can't go to a doctor to get it legally.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »
It's not only the law, I'm also afraid of the side effects (hair loss is high on the list).

it speeds up hair loss in those prone to it, if you have a perfect head of hair right now you will probably not experience it

anyway it's sort of ridiculous to use roids unless you can make the pros

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
it speeds up hair loss in those prone to it, if you have a perfect head of hair right now you will probably not experience it

anyway it's sort of ridiculous to use roids unless you can make the pros

I go back and forth on the issue. One day I'm thinking it's not worth it, the next day I'm thinking what is the point of training if I can't grow anymore (motivation to train really goes down). I can probably get a bit stronger but I can't add many more grams of muscle naturally.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »
I go back and forth on the issue. One day I'm thinking it's not worth it, the next day I'm thinking what is the point of training if I can't grow anymore (motivation to train really goes down). I can probably get a bit stronger but I can't add many more grams of muscle naturally.

that's why it makes more sense to focus on strength

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
that's why it makes more sense to focus on strength

At the end of the day I don't care about strength  :D. Well not beyond it* being the primary driver of growth (or rather a proxy for muscle tension) for a natural. But I'm pretty much maxed out when it comes to the amount of muscle I can carry naturally.

*progressive strength gains

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
At the end of the day I don't care about strength  :D. Well not beyond it* being the primary driver of growth (or rather a proxy for muscle tension) for a natural. But I'm pretty much maxed out when it comes to the amount of muscle I can carry naturally.

*progressive strength gains

then you need steroids or another hobby, like patronizing prostitutes or playing the piano

peace

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
then you need steroids or another hobby, like patronizing prostitutes or playing the piano

peace

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. And just focus on 3x45min maintenance sessions per week.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. And just focus on 3x45min maintenance sessions per week.

go for it, find something satisfying like sex with chocolate women

or play the piano, everybody is impressed with a dude who can bust out beethoven symphonia on the piano

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »

go for it, find something satisfying like sex with chocolate women

or play the piano, everybody is impressed with a dude who can bust out beethoven symphonia on the piano

I'm already a guitar god. Well, at least in my own mind.  :D

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »

nothing like the piano my friend

lol just kidding

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »

Any youtube links?