Author Topic: Squats  (Read 2373 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Squats
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
I have a bad back, two bulging/partially degenerated discs in lower back as well as one in the upper neck/spine.  I have had a cortizone injection about a year and a half ago, and while I noticed some relief, it is not by any means 100%.  I figure I will just have to learn to deal.  Anyway, I haven't done squats in about 3 years and have done them the past two weeks.  First off, it takes a full week to recover, is that normal?  I don't rememeber it taking that long, and I run, so it's not like they don't get used ever.  Also, my back is bothering me, which I figured as normal, but my neck really bothered me this week.  Just want to know if anyone with similar injuries, what did you do about it?  I am not on any hormones or supplements, and try and keep it light, sets of 275.  any advice would be appreciated.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Squats
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
try smith machine,,at least u could vary feet positions and depth and weight is balanced already so your neck and back and body could move in straight plane,,,

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
If you would rather have the pressure reduced and the weight off the shoulders/back  (regular squats) than try BB Hack squats, where the weight is below the waist. Or sitting leg presses. etc, where the back is supported. Can get a little comfort for that disc problem, if wanting to work the legs the way they should be worked.

Just a suggestion: You never want to force the body to do any squatting in a straight line, as like with the Smith Machine, even with a normal back. Can also apply to the bench and other exercises. Good Luck.
F

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:49 AM »
I have a bad back, two bulging/partially degenerated discs in lower back as well as one in the upper neck/spine.  I have had a cortizone injection about a year and a half ago, and while I noticed some relief, it is not by any means 100%.  I figure I will just have to learn to deal.  Anyway, I haven't done squats in about 3 years and have done them the past two weeks.  First off, it takes a full week to recover, is that normal?  I don't rememeber it taking that long, and I run, so it's not like they don't get used ever.  Also, my back is bothering me, which I figured as normal, but my neck really bothered me this week.  Just want to know if anyone with similar injuries, what did you do about it?  I am not on any hormones or supplements, and try and keep it light, sets of 275.  any advice would be appreciated.

1-after a long break first squat session are always a pain in the leg for a full week or more for me, although when i'm back on track after several week i can squat twice a week.

2-to protect your back, strenghten your abs, wear a powerlifting belt and learn how to push your abs against the bell to protect your back.

3-to protect your upper back use a narrow grip and squeeze upper back, traps, lats etc.
don't use a wide grip with shitty upper back posture, you must be a block against the bar.

4-warm up, stretch, leg curl leg extension, prisonnier squat.

5-inspired from russian training don't go to failure on squat and dead. you'd better do 5 set of 7 reps with 315 with perfect form than one or two awful ego set of 5 reps with 365.

people always talk about smolov like the suicide squat, i don't think so, you never go over 85% of your max, but you do a lot of reps and your squat increase.
for me suicide squat is doing awful form set of 5 with 90% of your max week after week.

6-squat is one of the best exercise but squat is useless if you are injuried several time a year because of it, because of false form, to much ego, you peak, you get injuried, you start from zero again and again.

asstropin

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
thanks, John Cole

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
My back is fucked up...haven`t squatted in at least three years or more.

My legs never grew from them anyway,but yesterday,I decided to try them again.......went really light and deep.......sore today !!

I may start doing them at the end of my leg day so I don`t let my ego get involved and concentrate solely on developing my quads.

I have done evrey scenario you could think of while squatting and was a strong ass squatter for my weight, which is light, but quads went nowhere as far as hypertrophy was concerned.

Hoping now,to gain some new size with them.....if not,I`ll never do them again.

Lighter weight,below paralell,higher reps.......12-20 or higher even,mind /muscle connection instead of huge weights and just moving it from Point-A to Point-B.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:32 AM »
My back is fucked up...haven`t squatted in at least three years or more.

My legs never grew from them anyway,but yesterday,I decided to try them again.......went really light and deep.......sore today !!

I may start doing them at the end of my leg day so I don`t let my ego get involved and concentrate solely on developing my quads.

I have done evrey scenario you could think of while squatting and was a strong ass squatter for my weight, which is light, but quads went nowhere as far as hypertrophy was concerned.

Hoping now,to gain some new size with them.....if not,I`ll never do them again.

Lighter weight,below paralell,higher reps.......12-20 or higher even,mind /muscle connection instead of huge weights and just moving it from Point-A to Point-B.

"I may start doing them at the end of my leg day so I don`t let my ego get involved and concentrate solely on developing my quads."...BINGO  ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
you know i have had good results from Dumbbell squats.. it does not hurt your back.

Domthemilky

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
jpm if my lower back is hurting after squats what is the cause of this? is it me bending too far forward? maybe using too much weight although i try to keep my back contracted hard and chest held high facing forward so im a bit confused as to what im doing wrong. its not like really painful like an injury but does make it pretty sore during the workout and i really feel it when i do lunges after.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
Dom-milk:  Might consider complete warmups,(which will include stretches), other than that it may be a combination of factors as you listed: bending forward, too much weight, etc.

If doing true BB'ing squats, the bar will be high on the traps/shoulders with the chest lifted and out.. If PL'ing, than the bar is lower on the traps/back and the back rounded a bit.  If placing a 2X4 or a pair of BB plates under the heels, than the leverage becomes better for doing a more upright (BB'ing) squat. This tends to reduce pressure on the lower back.

If doing front squats, the upper body is kept in more of a straight/BB'ing type squats. Main reason being, to keep the BB (resting on the shoulder/chest) in place. Lifting the elbows as high as possible in the front squat position also insures that the BB will be cradled on the chest/shoulders more firmly.

Working the abs strongly (added weight of 8-12 reps..no marathon reps here) strengthen the whole ad wall, which has a strong bearing on the squatting power. Doing direct lower back exercises like G'mornings, Romanian Dl's and SLDL's greatly improve the basic squatting power. This also have a direct bearing on the hams, vital in serious squatting.

All big time squatters will work the abs/lower back/hams  for applied preformance and as insurance against any kind of injury. They all know this is the basic key to extreme all over power. Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
When doing any form of a leg exercise (usually when standing) the weight held below the center of the body (mid waist) has less stress on the lower back and generally allows more leg strength to be involved. An example may be why some Pler's. can Dl more than they squat with.

Can be applied to leg presses, etc, where the weighted pressure is directly on the feet, rather than the upper body, shoulders & back. One theory being that the position and point of gravity is said to have an influence on all this. In regular squats, the weight is that much further from  ground zero, given a greater force to overcome and distance to travel. . Martial artist know the center of gravity of the human body quite well. Good luck.

F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
"I may start doing them at the end of my leg day so I don`t let my ego get involved and concentrate solely on developing my quads."...BINGO  ;)

I hear ya` bud!!  :)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
I have a bad back, two bulging/partially degenerated discs in lower back as well as one in the upper neck/spine.  I have had a .......this week. y and keep it light, sets of 275.  any advice would be appreciated.

The lower back muscles are mainly for trunk stability rather than explosive power use. It is also the part of the spine that has greatest flexibility and curviture capacity and as a consequence more prone to injury and misuse than any other part of the spine. Sarah Key an Australian physyotherapist has some very good books eg "Body in action" explaining the dynamics of muscle and skeleton and is an advocate of keeping the going ie working through and beyond a little stifness - use it before you loose it.  The leg muscles are very quick to suffer mas and power loss when not used as previously. It is possible that this loss caused by you long absence means that work and power previously undertaken by legs and hips have to be borne by the lower back until the legs and hips are up to speed. I hope you manage to have the patience and persistance to drop loading for a while and also that you develope an acceptance of new realities ie your back just aint what it used to be but that you get back the buzz of a good squat lift
c