Author Topic: What is the correct/polite response....  (Read 21280 times)

w8m8

Re: What is the correct/polite response....
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »

I usually take the situation into perspective. Are there other paths around you, did they just butt right through because they're too lazy to take the other path?

I find far too often that people just move right through where you're standing because they want the path of least resistance and then it's easier to say "Sorry" or "Excuse Me" and have it be false/hollow. With that said, it's usually the case that people are just being impolite/rude and want to get to the destination ASAP. So I usually give them some witty quip to let them know I was insulted they did what they did..."You're sorry? No I'm sorry you didn't go around, you just found it easier to say I'm sorry and continue moving."

I've been having a think on this topic and your reply  ... now I wonder

Would anyone have the same or different reaction if you witnessed the same situation happen to :

an elderly man / woman ?

a child ?

a handicapped/disabled person ?

I think my reaction always depends on my mindset / location / and who "caused" the situation

I can go either way .. polite and cruel are both as easy to me to react with .. but I don't allow someone to bump into me ignorantly without them excusing themselves very quickly or it's not pretty

if I saw any of the above being ran into I would quickly make sure they were really ok and not just too timid to speak up if they were hurt 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
I've been having a think on this topic and your reply  ... now I wonder

Would anyone have the same or different reaction if you witnessed the same situation happen to :

an elderly man / woman ?

a child ?

a handicapped/disabled person ?

I think my reaction always depends on my mindset / location / and who "caused" the situation

I can go either way .. polite and cruel are both as easy to me to react with .. but I don't allow someone to bump into me ignorantly without them excusing themselves very quickly or it's not pretty

if I saw any of the above being ran into I would quickly make sure they were really ok and not just too timid to speak up if they were hurt 

It does depend on who is doing the act. If an older person walks in with a cane, sure they get a pass. A small child being, well a child, sure. That's what kids do. But if the person is perfectly capable of going around and it's blatantly obvious they're just being lazy and cutting me off or disrupting me & my group...I will say something and be snarky.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?

You're a genius Migs... :o :o :o

a super horny genius

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
back to the beginning here: if you're a man the situation is entirely different?

I suppose you're a man (which board am I on is this the manly board?  Is you a bloke on the bloke board or are you a bloke on the girly board pretending to be a woman?   Being silly, I'm sure you understand...

If you were a woman you'd have to do the side-step every time, all day every day.  No chance ever to answer back.  Or even to teach or modify.  You cannot speak out as a woman.  No way.

You'd (if you were a woman), have to make way for everyone if you dreamt or just supposed you were going to get home safely.

All this blokey aggro supposition you pretend (or actually carry out) upsets and disgusts me.

madly etc xL

I am with w8m8 here.

Women expect and deserve equality. Despite this, some men, myself included, were taught to act with chivalry particularly when it comes to women. So while it is rare I would hold a door for a man my age or younger, I will for a woman. This isn't exactly equality, is it?

Like w8m8, I sometimes have a short fuse and tend to respond in kind despite the gender of the person to whom I am responding. So, if guess if a fellow isn't paying attention and runs into me and doesn't bother to excuse himself or if a woman does the same, I may let loose with some snide remark. I've held the door for folks who walk right through saying nothing, treating me, in my mind, like I am their gosh darn doorman or something. When this happens, I've been known to say in a not too soft voice with a certain degree of attitude, "You're welcome" hoping they will get the point.

Some people are just rude and inconsiderate. I haven't seen where it is more common among men or women. Yet, whenever I encounter a very aggressive annoying driver on the road, it always surprises me when I see that it is a woman....even though this is more often the case than not. Go figure?

w8m8

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 02:23:29 AM »

It does depend on who is doing the act. If an older person walks in with a cane, sure they get a pass. A small child being, well a child, sure. That's what kids do. But if the person is perfectly capable of going around and it's blatantly obvious they're just being lazy and cutting me off or disrupting me & my group...I will say something and be snarky.

I meant if you SAW someone run into an elder,  disabled person or child would you speak up since it wasn't you being ran into ?
Most people carry on with no concern for anyone else atall and if they see something they just look and walk away

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
I'll hold a door open if I'm going out it and someone's coming in.  I had a young chap flamboyantly open a door for me yesterday and it was plain weird, like something from a dream or my childhood.  He smiled.  He almost threw his cape across a puddle a la Francis Drake for the Queen, it was a total act of madness, of total defiance against rudeness.  I'd never seen him before in my life, nor most probably will I ever again, but it was funny, he smiled big time, I broke into a laugh and he made my day.  I giggled about it a few hours later, lovely man...

That though was a once in a year or decade event.

Today at the Post Office there was a queue out of the door onto the street.  It looked like people were punching each other indoors and there were only two cashiers open.  I had a parcel for a friend who happens to have a birthday just before Christmas and when the public sector are striking and working work-to-rule.  

I didn't want to go into the Post Office until people had left, the man in the queue ahead of me was holding the door open and I stood on the street with my massive pink parcel.  I even asked the girlie behind me whether she minded if I hung out on the street till there was half a space inside, wanting to allow people to leave and also not wanting to get any germs.  I hate crowds.  I'm allergic to them so I sneezed.  People then amassed outside and I could now no longer hold my ground, they wanted to jump ahead through the door and make an even bigger angry crowd indoors.  

A woman squeezed out of the Post Office who was maybe 4 people ahead of me in the line so I asked how long she'd waited and she said 20 minutes.  I left too.  My friend won't be getting her birthday present before her birthday is over.

What a mess.  It was horrid, people were pushing from behind, shouting and abusive.  I didn't sneeze or cough in their face, I just crossed the street, bought a supermarket pizza and a bottle of Stoli and carried back my big pink parcel.  I almost cried when I got home.

xL

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
I meant if you SAW someone run into an elder,  disabled person or child would you speak up since it wasn't you being ran into ?
Most people carry on with no concern for anyone else at all and if they see something they just look and walk away

Yeah if I saw someone running into an old man/lady or being rude, I wouldn't make a scene but I'd certainly walk up to them and let them know what a douche move that was. Sometimes people (I'd say unknowingly, but I'm not so sure) use the public as a shield. They'll intentionally do something knowing nobody will say anything. So I will catch up to them and then softly tell them that if I ever seen them do that again or anything similar I will make them into my personal hand puppet.

w8m8

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Yeah if I saw someone running into an old man/lady or being rude, I wouldn't make a scene but I'd certainly walk up to them and let them know what a douche move that was. Sometimes people (I'd say unknowingly, but I'm not so sure) use the public as a shield. They'll intentionally do something knowing nobody will say anything. So I will catch up to them and then softly tell them that if I ever seen them do that again or anything similar I will make them into my personal hand puppet.

good answer  ;)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
ButterBean, have you noticed that on our Girly Board it frequently occurs that we get all these men posting who have no concept of what it might be like to be a woman (nor do they appear to care to learn to...

If I went after someone on the street to relate to them my feelings about how they'd treated the last person they saw, they'd most likely punch my perfect teeth out.

...It's impossible to stick up for myself, let alone look out for anyone else.

xxxLinda

w8m8

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
What is the correct/polite response....

if you are having a funny and/or interesting conversation amongst like-minded smart funny folk ... and some "affected" person just kept interupting with mostly unintelligle and random verse and ramblings [ illustrations included ]

you can't assume they are afflicted without any self control because sometimes the looneytune would slyly infer things vis a vis disguised innuendo .. they think they are too clever to catch on to ... and gotten by that way for years

what is polite and what is correct and what is more fun ?

:D

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
^^^ see what I mean?

this is the same attitude that the woman who mocked the op had

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
whenever I encounter a very aggressive annoying driver on the road, it always surprises me when I see that it is a woman....even though this is more often the case than not. Go figure?

I've noticed this too.  I'm on a bike and they come right at me in their 4x4's
xL
strange...

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2011, 04:13:12 AM »
I can't believe I have overlooked the obvious until now.

Why in God's name is any GetBigger concerned about "correct" or "polite" behavior? 

GetBiggers alone decide what is "correct" or "polite" in any situation.  Bugger off, social norms. 
~

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
ButterBean, have you noticed that on our Girly Board it frequently occurs that we get all these men posting who have no concept of what it might be like to be a woman (nor do they appear to care to learn to...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=93039.0

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=93040.0

Follow the links, you constantly prove to me that you have the IQ of a flying squirrel on a crack binge.
Male posters like myself, Migs, Andy Griffin or whoever are allowed to post here. The link shows a list of people that Butterbean has approved to post here.

As I understand it, this board is not so much a female only board, but as the list alludes to (correct me if I'm mistaken) the list approves people that don't attack females because the attacker is a faceless internet warrior behind a computer screen.

The more I read your posts, I more I want to violate this rule!  >:( >:( >:(

As well, YOU have been BANNED from this board MULTIPLE times and have been warned more than banned. Get off your high horse.

I can't believe I have overlooked the obvious until now.

Why in God's name is any GetBigger concerned about "correct" or "polite" behavior?  

GetBiggers alone decide what is "correct" or "polite" in any situation. &guy off, social norms.  

Epic post!

(You will notice I use traditional Getbig use of the word "epic" to describe your post. A funny. A play on words. I'm clever like most GB'ers are ;D )

w8m8

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »

I've noticed this too.  I'm on a bike and they come right at me in their 4x4's
xL
strange...

LOL

w8m8

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2011, 08:16:56 AM »
As I understand it, this board is not so much a female only board

Correct YB ... the APPROVED men here are smart, respectful of the rules here , and funny

It's a board that welcomes conversation that includes different perspectives and refrains from becoming VULGAR and DISTASTEFUL .. the provoking is tolerated and IMHO it feeds the troll and gives it the belief that it is clever and untouchable as long as it's not blatant ... staying on this board 99% of the time for the "protection" of not being called out for the attitude and instigation it enjoys that slides just under the radar of the rules is not unnoticed  ;)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=93039.0

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=93040.0

Follow the links, you constantly prove to me that you have the IQ of a flying squirrel on a crack binge.
Male posters like myself, Migs, Andy Griffin or whoever are allowed to post here. The link shows a list of people that Butterbean has approved to post here.

As I understand it, this board is not so much a female only board, but as the list alludes to (correct me if I'm mistaken) the list approves people that don't attack females because the attacker is a faceless internet warrior behind a computer screen.

The more I read your posts, I more I want to violate this rule!  >:( >:( >:(

As well, YOU have been BANNED from this board MULTIPLE times and have been warned more than banned. Get off your high horse.

Epic post!

(You will notice I use traditional Getbig use of the word "epic" to describe your post. A funny. A play on words. I'm clever like most GB'ers are ;D )

I've never felt more epic.   :D
~

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »

:D
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
Correct YB ... the APPROVED men here are smart, respectful of the rules here , and funny

Agreed.

It's a board that welcomes conversation that includes different perspectives and refrains from becoming VULGAR and DISTASTEFUL .. the provoking is tolerated and IMHO it feeds the troll and gives it the belief that it is clever and untouchable as long as it's not blatant ... staying on this board 99% of the time for the "protection" of not being called out for the attitude and instigation it enjoys that slides just under the radar of the rules is not unnoticed  ;)

In order to keep this board as Ron intended, in the future the intention is that posts determined as intending to provoke others into a conflict will be fully deleted as opposed to edited.  In addition 3 deletions due to provocation will result in a monthly ban (just from this particular board).

Starting........now  :)
R

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »

on one hand you say that only some men are "approved," and on the other you say different this board welcomes different perspectives. meanwhile there's a post just a few above yours with a woman asking me to be banned lol

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
Agreed.

In order to keep this board as Ron intended, in the future the intention is that posts determined as intending to provoke others into a conflict will be fully deleted as opposed to edited.  In addition 3 deletions due to provocation will result in a monthly ban (just from this particular board).

Starting........now  :)

It took me a moment to understand the picture of Migs' cat that you posted to respond to me...but I got it now! Very clever BFB! ;D

To your later paragraph, what if the person is not provoking (a la xxxLinda) and the person is just downright telling the person what he/she thinks (a la ME!)? xxxLinda will provoke w8m8 or myself and I step up and answer right back to her, as I did above, am I breaking the rules? 

Or is it a case of the lesser of two evils?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
It took me a moment to understand the picture of Migs' cat that you posted to respond to me...but I got it now! Very clever BFB! ;D

To your later paragraph, what if the person is not provoking (a la xxxLinda) and the person is just downright telling the person what he/she thinks (a la ME!)? xxxLinda will provoke w8m8 or myself and I step up and answer right back to her, as I did above, am I breaking the rules?  

Or is it a case of the lesser of two evils?

Your post is not an out of the blue provocation.  It is a stated response in regard to a provocation.  The only thing that is borderline would be "get off your high horse" as it could be seen as something that could play a part in a continuation of a conflict ...if that makes sense....EDIT....jsut saw the flying squirrel on a crack binge IQ part too.

It's going to be subjective but I think it's probably clear that blatantly provocative/insulting posts on this board ruin the atmosphere here and incite conflict... just about every other board on here welcomes that so none of us should suffer too harshly since that stuff is only a click away ;D

R

w8m8

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:27 AM »
Your post is not an out of the blue provocation.  It is a stated response in regard to a provocation.  The only thing that is borderline would be "get off your high horse" as it could be seen as something that could play a part in a continuation of a conflict ...if that makes sense....

It's going to be subjective but I think it's probably clear that blatantly provocative/insulting posts on this board ruin the atmosphere here and incite conflict... just about every other board on here welcomes that so none of us should suffer too harshly since that stuff is only a click away ;D

I totally understand the difference .. "incite" is not to be confused with humorous bantering that happens between the "familiar" posters here  .. fun is one thing .. being SNARKY is another 

I remember back when things were posted that were "iffy" here .. someone would post

STellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!

;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »

I totally understand the difference .. "incite" is not to be confused with humorous bantering that happens between the "familiar" posters here  .. fun is one thing .. being SNARKY is another  

I remember back when things were posted that were "iffy" here .. someone would post

STellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!

;D

lol ;D
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!