Author Topic: Golds Gym - "The Mecca", when it really was "The Mecca"  (Read 466180 times)

littlechris

• Getbig II
Re: "The Mecca",When It Really Was "The Mecca"
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
i see nothing impressive with those photos. a bunch of wash-outs from the human race fleeing from the demands of life. perpetual teenagers playing boy's games instead of men's games. with the exception of the nazi they're all either dead or broke. may as well post post pictures of homeless bums.

^^^^^TRUTH^^^^

Stavios

« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
I don't see any vince basile shots ???

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »
^^^^^TRUTH^^^^
Bodybuilding History 101 right here son.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Bob Chick in da` house!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
 8)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
I trained at Golds for a month in October 1968. I arrived there the same week Arnold did. Draper trained early in the morning. Arnold came in later with an entourage. Zabo and Joe were running the place. Joe never walked past a mirror without checking himself! Chuck Collas was there. They called him the gopher. I told Joe I was bulking up a la Malcolm Brenner and Joe tapped on his wooden desk to indicate he thought I was daft. He looked at me and said 180. That meant that was how big I would be in contest condition. In those days we weren't cut up like today. No one had glute striations and we kept them covered in any case. No homo!

Here is a photo I took in 1968. It was published in Muscle Training Illustrated.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »
good job wes bringing the past ,,,

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
I trained at Golds for a month in October 1968. I arrived there the same week Arnold did. Draper trained early in the morning. Arnold came in later with an entourage. Zabo and Joe were running the place. Joe never walked past a mirror without checking himself! Chuck Collas was there. They called him the gopher. I told Joe I was bulking up a la Malcolm Brenner and Joe tapped on his wooden desk to indicate he thought I was daft. He looked at me and said 180. That meant that was how big I would be in contest condition. In those days we weren't cut up like today. No one had glute striations and we kept them covered in any case. No homo!

Here is a photo I took in 1968. It was published in Muscle Training Illustrated.
Great pic Vince...thanks.

Forgot all about Charlie Fautz...wow!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
good job wes bringing the past ,,,
Well,when your middle name is "Past",it`s not that hard to do bro..........thanks,glad you llike the pics!!  ;D

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
:(

I think this is Joe Weider's wife...she was so awesome back in the day..had fantastic curves

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
2nd pic of bob b/w looks awesome there,,

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
No pix of Zyzz?

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »
great pics mate

thanks

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

^^
That must have been an amazing experience Vince!  I'm from Vancouver, Canada by the way... I still say the biggest mystery in bodybuilding history would be seeing just how Arnold trained for the 1980 Olympia in Sydney in 7-8 weeks, you took THE BEST photos of that contest- I've STILL got the Musclemag Annual from back then, in perfect shape...

Stavios

« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »

;D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
In the old days the AAU Mr America was a big title. The weightlifting crowd under Bob Hoffman from York were behind that show. They held it after the lifting finished and one night the bodybuilding show didn't start until after midnight! They brought in rules to more or less eliminate the muscleheads on Muscle Beach. No posing in G-strings for gay mags, no tattoos, no bums. Malcolm Brenner missed out on that title and so did Zabo and even Larry Scott. Larry went on to win Joe's version and Sergio did the same thing after losing to his mate, Bob Gajda in 1966.

Malcolm Brenner was a huge guy in those days. He was one of the first who bulked up. They should bring back those days and do away with all this gay shit posing in thongs that we see at the professional level.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2011, 02:35:04 AM »

I think this is Joe Weider's wife...she was so awesome back in the day..had fantastic curves
betty weider was one hot number

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:04 AM »
will .. please post the link from your avatar .. thanks bro  8)
Asking the guy who's avatar I stole it from to give me the pic bro  :D hopefully post tomorrow  ;)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
Did they train quick like Gironda advocated ? I know Arnold said one of the things he changed when landing in the states was reducing rest between sets to 30 - 60 seconds and using more supersets etc to chase the pump - obviously heavy high rep squatting you wouldnt be resting 30 seconds  :D
Bump for Wes  :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2011, 02:48:52 AM »
Bump for Wes  :)
Gotta` hit the gym in a few minutes bro.....I`ll post more when I get back.  :)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2011, 02:50:21 AM »
Gotta` hit the gym in a few minutes bro.....I`ll post more when I get back.  :)
Good stuff.. have a good train bro - go hard  8)

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2011, 05:11:33 AM »
Cool thread! it must have been awesome back then. As bodybuilding was upcoming at that time, what kind of jobs everyone do? ?back in 70s and 80s.

Keith Jones will be missed in this thread.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2011, 05:13:41 AM »
 :)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2011, 05:31:07 AM »
betty weider was one hot number

agreed...AMAZING curves

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »
Betty Weider had some hot curves that for sure.