Author Topic: Golds Gym - "The Mecca", when it really was "The Mecca"  (Read 466029 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: "The Mecca",When It Really Was "The Mecca"
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
WES and others, Thanks!

I'm still in the process of reading all this but regarding the question of training bare-foot, I sort of recall a lot of the guys parking outside of Gold's when it was in Santa Monica, (I don't recall any parking meters back then and that area of SM was never really crowded), going into Gold's to get a quick pump, and then walking the couple of blocks down to the beach.

(Shoeless due to the fact that everything would be locked up in the car except for a beach towel and tanning lotion.)

I have met the vast majority of the people whose photos are posted here. And on many occasions .... an interesting and often humerous story was involved.

In fact I still stay in contact with a few of the guys .... particularly Peter Grymko.

A few little stories may be of interest such as:

Watching Joe weld some new equipment while talking business in the original location.
The day Pete installed a bench so the street gawkers could come inside and watch the action.
The initial 'shock' to most when they first saw the ladies train with the guys.
Leg day with Platz.
IFBB party in the gym.
Harassing Teufel.
Mike and his bike. (Mentzer)
The Gold's Gym parade.

SOme good old memories here, Wes! Thanks.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing Stunt............wish I could have seen some of that stuff!  :(

Swlabr

« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
Keep them coming, wes, these pictures really motivate the shit out of me. Fuck bloated insulina guts, I want to look like these alphas. 8)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
Great pics Tim of the greatest time in the sport.Stunt,what did you mean when you said "harrasing Teufel",and please tell us about witnessing Platz train legs.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
Great pics Tim of the greatest time in the sport.Stunt,what did you mean when you said "harrasing Teufel",and please tell us about witnessing Platz train legs.
X2!!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #330 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »
Hey, WES! I'll do my best to let ya see it through my own two eye-balls providing my long term memory is still in tact.

To start off ... I think you'll agree with me when I say that bodybuilding was a horse of a different color way back then ... and nothing at all like it is today.

In fact .... it's a totally different Derby.

And since CROWN asked about "Harassing Teufel", I'll start with that one.

Nothing earth shattering here ... no paper bags on anyone's feet nor other stuff that appears to garner so much interest from the GetBiggers who are too damn young to recognize truth from fiction or possibly even hopeful desires...

Just a very short observation about a young kid who comes to Gold's in Santa Monica for his first time to compete in the "AAU" Mr. America after doing well in some show back east someplace.

I'm bad at dates but this was definitely sometime after Columbus discovered America .... most likely around the mid 70's.

It was about 5 days before the event and Ron showed up at Gold's while all the regulars were training in prep for the contest and the harassment started when he first stepped through the door... definitely pre-planed.

It was most likely intended to be a joke ... kind of like a 'rite of initiation' but Ron was a young kid and felt offended and picked up his gear and walked outside.

Ten minutes later I saw him outside looking through the window and went out and introduced myself and told him that he was only being given a 'hard time' by the regulars due to the fact that he was a serious contender in this upcoming contest and  this was a normal routine for a Gold's Gym newby with his potential.

He said, "Thanks, but I'm just gonna wait and train when some of these regular guys leave."

So he did wait and went back inside late that night when the gym was almost empty.

I don't recall Ron's contest history but I do recall what was often referred to as the "Teufel Syndrom" (spelling??) meaning any competitor who consistently placed high in a contest but failed to noticeably improve over the years.

Back then (and possibly even today) the judges would place a contender a bit lower if that contender failed to be more impressive than he did in a previous event.

Ron was one of the competitors who did show up at the meeting in the Santa Monica Auditorium on Sunday morning following that contest to discuss US amateur bodybuilding association with the IFBB.

I think I posted that story earlier.

"Platz Trains Legs" is somewhat more interesting and will follow shortly ...

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
Any photos/stories about the actor William Smith? Probably the most Alpha Male in the history of the U.S. yet largely unknown.
(

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: November 22, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
Thanks Shep,Swlabr,and thanks again for sharing some great stuff with us Stunt.....always loved your posts brother!  :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #333 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
For wild willie  8)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #334 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »
 8)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: November 22, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
Thanks, Wes!!!!

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #336 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
Samir did have a great back, one of the first of the back era...

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Thanks so much for this thread Wes...reminds me of why I started training in the first place. The best part of living in LA was the time I spent training at Gold's and World from the late 80's to mid 90's. I met and trained alongside so many of the greats I used to read about in the mags when I was a teenager. Became good friends with Eddie Giuliani and Zabo and got to shoot the shit with Joe Weider at his house...cool stuff, and great times!

This has motivated me to stop bullshitting around, and strive to have the best physique I'm capable of! Thanks again!

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »
they look really similar in that kneeling shot with arms out to the side.
For wild willie  8)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
No problem willie11  :)

Cableguy,I`m now officially jealous of you and Stunt!!  ;D

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
Thanks David.....I really wish you and Joe would start a thread going into lots of detail about how you guys trained with these greats.

Throw in some pics and it would be one of the best threads ever posted here.........or anywhere!!

All the best bud!!  :)

There was a two part interview in Iron Man about a year ago. Steve Holman interviewed some guy going by "Bodybuilder X". Apparently this X dude trained with Padilla, Grant, Bannout, the Mentzers, Rick Valente and Bob Chick. He was also trained by Rory. I'm not sure who this X guy is but he was very candid and open about everything.  ;)

Here is part 1 (I don't think the picture is really Bodybuilder X)
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/site/muscle-building-myths-exposed-part-1/  

Part 2
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/site/muscle-building-myths-exposed-part-2/

and keep moving!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
I have yet to meet Jonsey, but I have met Bill Smith.

This was back when he was not well known and before he played the part of some bad guy in a TV series (Rich Man, Poor Man ???) and then in a major motion picture which I cannot recall.

Not positive but I think I met Bill Smith while he was working at Universal as a stuntman or else he had a part in a TV western. I forget those details but we had mutual friends who also worked at Universal on a regular basis.

Not sure about this either but I seem to recall that he was a friend of Woody Strode's.

I believe he trained at Vince's but I never ran into him there.

OK, here is a "Platz Trains Legs" episode that ocurred sometime in the 70's or early 80's.

I've never been a GURU but I've worked with a good number of amateurs and a few professionals who are still among the living and one time I was helping Ernie Santiago prepare for an NPC national contest that was being held in Santa Monica and needless to say we spent a lot of time the week before at Gold's when Gold's was located in Santa Monica (2nd Street??).

It was leg day for Ernie and it so happened to be leg day for Platz so they decided to train together on and near the squat rack.

I don't recall how many sets and how much weight but it was a grueling workout for the both of them .... and Ernie was the kind of guy who would do whatever it took to train as hard and heavy as Platz ... and to the best of my memory ... he was successful in keeping up with Platz on each and every set.

When it was over, Tom shook Ernie's hand and said thanks for the great workout and Ernie walked over to the nearest wall, placed his back against it, and slid down to the seated position with somewhat of a glassed over gaze in his eyes.

That's when Pete came out of his office and asked him if he was OK, and Ernie's reply was, "Yea, Pete! I'm just waiting for Platz to show up so we can train legs."

And that's when Pete came looking for me to tell me that Ernie was slightly delirious and ready to pass out after a very strainuous leg workout  with Tom and it would be best for the both of us to walk or carry Ernie out to the waiting car so that he wouldn't get hit by a passing vehicle ... which was somewhat common back then after a hard training session at Gold's.

So Pete and I got Ernie to his feet and Ernie kept on insisting that he had to train legs with Tom if he ever showed up ... not realizing that he has already trained legs with Tom
so strainuously that it was causing him a temporary bit of 'insanity'.

The next day we had a good talk with Pete and he told Ernie that Ernie's 'temporary bit of insanity' after a very hard workout  was not too uncommon and more than a couple of members had walked out of the gym  ....  and directly into oncoming traffic.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53:29 PM »
There was a two part interview in Iron Man about a year ago. Steve Holman interviewed some guy going by "Bodybuilder X". Apparently this X dude trained with Padilla, Grant, Bannout, the Mentzers, Rick Valente and Bob Chick. He was also trained by Rory. I'm not sure who this X guy is but he was very candid and open about everything.  ;)

Here is part 1 (I don't think the picture is really Bodybuilder X)
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/site/muscle-building-myths-exposed-part-1/ 

Part 2
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/site/muscle-building-myths-exposed-part-2/

Good stuff David thanks bud!!

I wonder who BB-X really was ?   :)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
WES, MAX .... I have yet to read that IronMan article but I can most likely find out who Bodybuilder X is or was.

I've known everyone you mentioned, MAX, excluding Bannout for some unknown reason, and I'll do my best to make a phone call or two and ask about this unknown, mysterious stranger.

No guarantees though, but it would give me a chance to renew some old time friendships.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #344 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »
Max, those two interviews with bodybuilder X and the interview by someone named David I believe about Danny Padilla  were some of the best things that I have read in Ironman.  This is from a Ironman reader for over 30 years.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #345 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
stunt and Wes? Great stuff! These are the guys I started out with, magazine-wise and lifting-wise. And, now I miss Keith. He was the Getbig Gold's colour-commentator, wasn't he? You're missed, big guy.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
I think BB-X is a great writer and needs to pen more stuff for IM !!  ;)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: November 22, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »
stunt and Wes? Great stuff! These are the guys I started out with, magazine-wise and lifting-wise. And, now I miss Keith. He was the Getbig Gold's colour-commentator, wasn't he? You're missed, big guy.
You`re welcome bro......I miss Keiths posts also.....good dude,with lots of great experiences to share.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #348 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
WES, MAX .... I have yet to read that IronMan article but I can most likely find out who Bodybuilder X is or was.

I've known everyone you mentioned, MAX, excluding Bannout for some unknown reason, and I'll do my best to make a phone call or two and ask about this unknown, mysterious stranger.

No guarantees though, but it would give me a chance to renew some old time friendships.

You aren't serious, are you?
and keep moving!

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
« Reply #349 on: November 22, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
I always thought that Benfatto was overrated. Shoulders too big for his physique.