Author Topic: Golds Gym - "The Mecca", when it really was "The Mecca"  (Read 465604 times)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: "The Mecca",When It Really Was "The Mecca"
« Reply #525 on: November 25, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »
I think this is the best thread on getbig. I hope it becomes a sticky on this site!  Its huge motivation to see guys before the GH and slin ruined them. These are acheivable physiques because of the seperation and details made them look bigger on stage than they were. Some of these guys in a shirt werent very impressive...but when the shirt came off they doubles in size!!

Everyday i go to the gym this is the look im going for...i think of details, seperation etc. Im hoping that alot of the kids will disregard gh15 advice to up the dose and take all these chemicals.  Whats wrong with a little dbol here and there to look like this!! Much prefered id say.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #526 on: November 25, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
Betty Weider had some hot curves that for sure.

When I met Betty at Joe's house back in the early 90's, she still had that bangin' hourglass figure...even though she was pretty old!

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #527 on: November 25, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »

Damn, who is it ? Strong build ! Thanks in advance

Wow, Dr. C.F. Smith...great build!

This thread is bringing back so many memories. I read about a lot of these guys in the mags when I was a teenager. A lot of them were featured in Muscle Training Illustrated, Dan Lurie's mag. Dan was Joe's "nemesis", that's why you never saw too many of these guys in the Weider mags. A lot of these "obscure" guys had such great physiques...

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #528 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
it's a travesty what's happened to bodybuilding under Chick's watch.
Bob Chick and his ilk actually help it from going totally "off the cliff", believe it or not.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #529 on: November 25, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
One thing I notice in a lot of the arnold photos is that he always seems to have everyone laughing.  He is doing funny stuff in the photos as well.  Seems like he would have been a very charismatic and fun individual to have known back  in the day.
It was more then just Arnold who had charisma and fun back then.
Bodybuilding and gym members were a much closer knit group back then and we had more fun.
Most guys today are too paranoid and obssessed with drugs.
Sure every top guy juiced on basic stuff back then, but it was pretty mild compared to now.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #530 on: November 25, 2011, 08:45:40 PM »
it doesn't even seem like the same sport as what we have today.

No shit...WTF happened...

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #531 on: November 25, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
Mike Arvilla is friends with the Vranicar's if i remember correct.
Marty Varanicar is around my age ( mid 50's?) and competed in  contest in FL a couple years ago and looked 95% as good as he did in his heyday. UNreal!

Mjolnir

• Getbig III
« Reply #532 on: November 25, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
Can someone post a typical cycle from back then?  In the steroid forum if you want, but it would be nice to hear from the guys who were there and know what went into those physiques.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #533 on: November 25, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
No shit...WTF happened...

if the IFBB started rewarding the classic look and started penalizing the big guts and bloat; there would be no need for drug testing. all the crazy shit would be discontinued and guys would go back to hard work and diet, resulting in real looking muscle.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #534 on: November 26, 2011, 12:08:41 AM »
if the IFBB started rewarding the classic look and started penalizing the big guts and bloat; there would be no need for drug testing. all the crazy shit would be discontinued and guys would go back to hard work and diet, resulting in real looking muscle.
Amen

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #535 on: November 26, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »
it doesn't even seem like the same sport as what we have today.
Sad yeah  :(

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #536 on: November 26, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »
my impersonation of a 70's bodybuilder. ( ya, i'm old now and gotta relive the good old days. this was me in 1990)

Mjolnir

• Getbig III
« Reply #537 on: November 26, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
You look fantastic.  That was right before things got mental in the world of BB.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #538 on: November 26, 2011, 01:22:27 AM »
Looking great hazbin. I really wish you'd have chosen a more positive screen-name though. You seem more positive than the name implies. Where in Canada are you from? I had some room-mates that were from Kitchner Ontario when I was training with Samir.

Anyone know who the first guy was?  Kind of has a physique like Mendenhall.

Wes that botton picture you posted of Bucci… unreal pec striations.

Nice shot David.........what were you weighing there and who were you training with?

I was weighing about 185 Wes. It was taken 9 months after I stopped training with Samir and before I hooked up with Rory. I was drug free during that entire 9 months, training alone and following some of Gironda’s old routines with the diet Franco recommended in Winning Bodybuilding. I had done some extra work and decided to get a portfolio done so the last 6 weeks I was using Gironda’s full body circuit 5 times through 5 days a week. I gave up some muscle but it worked for what I was trying to do. Well except for the fact that the portfolio never got me any work.  

and keep moving!

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #539 on: November 26, 2011, 03:19:42 AM »
Max,the first guy was Steven Reiter,usually competed in the lightheavies,i can`t think of any of the under 200lbs guys nowadays who look as good as he did.And as the video moved on towards the end,that was the teen class with Victor Terra,James deMelo,Franco Santoriello and Vinny Conzo,you just don`t get teens that look like that anymore.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #540 on: November 26, 2011, 05:41:42 AM »
my impersonation of a 70's bodybuilder. ( ya, i'm old now and gotta relive the good old days. this was me in 1990)
Great fucking shot Haz!

Good stuff David.

Shep,those names (teens) bring back a lot of memories.............lot s of great teens back then,hardly any today.......wonder why ???

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: November 26, 2011, 05:50:10 AM »
Just watched that 80`s video............Reiter looks insanely thick and striated...looks like he could have gone on to be a pro for sure.

Never realized Terra was that short.

Lots of striations on these guys,(no longer seen today),and great posing routines,(no longer seen these days).  :(

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #542 on: November 26, 2011, 05:55:17 AM »

Absolutely. They could also go back to the old fashioned trunks as well. No more pink or turquoise g-strings and suggestive posing.
O

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #543 on: November 26, 2011, 06:03:44 AM »
Thought I`d post some more pics of Bucci...hope no yellow fucking frogs show up instead!  :(

www.photobucket.com

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #544 on: November 26, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »

www.photobucket.com
Thanks Monty......I`m just to lazy to save the pics and upload them.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #545 on: November 26, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »

That's not going to happen Hazbin, when you hear  kids  nowadays saying , Branch Warren looks awesome , 80's bodybuilders look like swimmers, Brian Buchanan waist was too small, Chris Cormier physique was boring ..........etc  , you know bodybuilding is fucked.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #546 on: November 26, 2011, 07:16:58 AM »
That's not going to happen Hazbin, when you hear  kids  nowadays saying , Branch Warren looks awesome , 80's bodybuilders look like swimmers, Brian Buchanan waist was too small, Chris Cormier physique was boring ..........etc  , you know bodybuilding is fucked.
Probably true Che.....unfortunately.  :(

Getting into the sport these days, a person would tend to think that weighing 280 with a huge gut, and hardly being able to walk, is what bodybuilding is all about........fucking shame!!

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #547 on: November 26, 2011, 07:17:59 AM »

Sad but true.
O

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #548 on: November 26, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
Probably true Che.....unfortunately.  :(

Getting into the sport these days, a person would tend to think that weighing 280 with a huge gut, and hardly being able to walk, is what bodybuilding is all about........fucking shame!!

Sad indeed.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #549 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »
We're starting to sound like the guys on ironage!

Does this mean I'm an old fart now?

Great thread guys