Author Topic: zercher squats  (Read 3689 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
zercher squats
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
think i spelt it right..:D tried them yesterday and although it is a bit strange at first i got a good effect on my quads. Maybe a good alternative for home trainers who do not have free standing squat stands or a power rack.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: zercher squats
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »
Zercher squats were more of a power lift than a BB'ing one. But some BB'ers liked to include it in a leg program. Can buy a Zercher harness to make it easier to hold the bar. After awhile you will probably need some sort of padding (or double sweat shirts) if getting serious about doing that lift and you are doing set after set. The Zercher lifts can be a good one to include in a strongman routine.

You can lift the bar from the floor to the knees, in a semi-squat position, than squat down lower while putting  the hock of the arms under the bar. Than raise up to a standing position (strongman style). Though most guy's take the bar off a PR, "A" frame, or set of heavy boxes. I'm sure there must be video's around showing how it's done, from the floor or otherwise.

Can work up to some pretty impressive weight in that lift. First time I saw it done, a guy was using well over 400 for reps (from a rack). He said the Zercher should be done in sets of 3's for best results. He was probably right on that (he was in the same high school class as me). With the Zercher lift, as with the DL, too many guys lift with the small of the back rather that a combined effort with the legs. So I assume there can be some unneeded injury's if not doing the exercise correctly or trying to use too much weight, too soon, before really learning how to do it the right way. Don't want you right nut bouncing off the floor, do we?

Would be a great movement to add to a MMA-UFC training program. As well as football training, though I have never seen many player include it.

Thanks to Donny, I think I'm going to try that lift next workout and see what happens. Good luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
Thank you jpm101... i also respect your posts and they are of great value to us all at GetBig.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »

I did Zercher Squats about 2yrs ago, while I loved them I couldn't get used to the soreness in my elbows as I did them. I tried with no pads and I caved in and used a back pad for squatting to go in the nooks where my elbows were and that still didn't help.

The weight I was using wasn't too great and my legs would be saying "C'mon lets go!!!" while my elbows were simultaneously screaming "WTF are you trying to do to us?!"

I liked the lift itself though. If I could get used to it I would do it more often. But after 2mo of doing it I put it on the shelf.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
Never done them but I guess you shouldn't do this:

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »
Never done them but I guess you shouldn't do this:

idiot probably unloaded the bar reracked it, replated it, than repeated the same failu ;Dre.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »
Thank you jpm101... i also respect your posts and they are of great value to us all at GetBig.
jpm is the man!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Donny & Wes: Thank you gentlemen for the props.

Tried the Zercher lift (after a few years) last week at a different gym (different state..took a short recruiting trip) from where I usually workout at. Got a lot of looks, than had a few locals work in with me. They all  understood the benefits of the lift after they tried it. All worked up to some impressive poundage once getting adjusted to it. Balance and keeping a straight back though out was the main concern at first.  The bar was taken from a shoulder high rack. Than some tried it from the floor position, discovering how hard this exercise can be if not use to it. It will develop all around basic power.

A couple of these guy's were into high school/college division wrestling and saw the value of lifting, and having the weight, in the front of the body which could be applied to their sport quite easily.

As for myself, really took a liking to the Zercher style of lifting. But than again, it's more of a strongman lift which could be used in a regular BB'ing workout, I would guess. Probably require more lighter reps and sets overall. If used in regular BB'ing workouts, than that would be the time to think of some sort of padding for the arms. Good luck.
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:37:04 AM »
jpm101 is the man.

Give the guy MOD status on here.  8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master