Author Topic: Sciatic nerve pain???  (Read 5503 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Sciatic nerve pain???
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
Any of you guys suffer from this???

I hurt my back a few months ago and I've been getting pain in my right leg now. Is surgery the only option?

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Sciatic nerve pain???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
Get yourself inversion boots or an inversion table,i had back pain for ten years and 2 one minute sessions of hanging upside down cured it.My best mate had to leave the police force 15 years ago because of back pain,a few months ago he bought an inversion table and hangs upside down on it every morning now,says his back now feels fine,and he`s started squatting again.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »
Get yourself inversion boots or an inversion table,i had back pain for ten years and 2 one minute sessions of hanging upside down cured it.My best mate had to leave the police force 15 years ago because of back pain,a few months ago he bought an inversion table and hangs upside down on it every morning now,says his back now feels fine,and he`s started squatting again.

Good advice. You need to decompress your spine. Also find a good chiro.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
Go see a doc. Too many people confuse sciatic nerve with something else.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »
I went with IDD therapy, has worked for 5 years now. Had to lighten up with the deads and squats, heavy weights were not helping the healing process.
time under tension

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:16:54 AM »

Gonna look into this..thanks!

Good advice. You need to decompress your spine. Also find a good chiro.

In the process of finding a chiro.

Go see a doc. Too many people confuse sciatic nerve with something else.

I was hoping that it was piriformis syndrome which resembles sciatica but the signs point towards the latter. Will check out a chiro for sure though...

I went with IDD therapy, has worked for 5 years now. Had to lighten up with the deads and squats, heavy weights were not helping the healing process.

Haven't heard of this before but if I can avoid surgery I'll definitely try this.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
Piriformis is pretty close in symptoms though. You might try to stretch your hams and use the seated glute stretch. I couldn't kick the Piriformis thing until I started rolling it out against a wall with a tennis ball and doing super high rep light squats....must have balanced something out. I went to the chiro but it wasn't a lasting effect.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
Piriformis is pretty close in symptoms though. You might try to stretch your hams and use the seated glute stretch. I couldn't kick the Piriformis thing until I started rolling it out against a wall with a tennis ball and doing super high rep light squats....must have balanced something out. I went to the chiro but it wasn't a lasting effect.

did you use the tennis ball in the ass area(no homo) or pretty much all over your lower back?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
Gonna look into this..thanks!

In the process of finding a chiro.

I was hoping that it was piriformis syndrome which resembles sciatica but the signs point towards the latter. Will check out a chiro for sure though...

Haven't heard of this before but if I can avoid surgery I'll definitely try this.

Yup, piraformis syndrome also effects the IT's big time. If you did it squatting and you feel it on either side of the lower lumbar (not in the middle) it's also a sign of a QL strain. We do a ton of soft-tissue work. First try foam rolling (with the black roller) low back, IT's, glutes and hamstrings in that order. Then get a lacrosse ball and do some trigger point. Sit on the ball where at the site of the piraformis and apply pressure to the site and roll just on that spot. Then place the ball (while still on the ground but you can also still do this standing up against the wall as well) and then hit the both QL's.

Go see a doc.

What exercise were you doing when this happen?

MassInMass

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
Forget the chiro-
Spend the $300 on an inversion table-
You will never feel it again...

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
Yup, piraformis syndrome also effects the IT's big time. If you did it squatting and you feel it on either side of the lower lumbar (not in the middle) it's also a sign of a QL strain. We do a ton of soft-tissue work. First try foam rolling (with the black roller) low back, IT's, glutes and hamstrings in that order. Then get a lacrosse ball and do some trigger point. Sit on the ball where at the site of the piraformis and apply pressure to the site and roll just on that spot. Then place the ball (while still on the ground but you can also still do this standing up against the wall as well) and then hit the both QL's.

Go see a doc.

What exercise were you doing when this happen?

Damn..thanks for all that.

I hurt myself doing something so stupid. I was on the leg press machine and the seat for some reason is just garbage. I had plates loaded, push up, but I felt uncomfortable so I adjust myself(holding the grips/plates loaded at the top) by trying to move my ass up on the seat. That's when I felt a sharp pain in my lower back.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »

x2

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
I start at the middle of the back...lowest lumbar spine - and roll under the waistline, and then at 45 degrees into the glute. As mentioned above if it's Piriformis you will find a pressure point somewhere in the glute and once you work that you will get some release. Don't overdo it on the rolling or you will be sore as hell.

After having this for over a year I stumbled on an article online about release, broke out the tennis ball and immediately started feeling less of the pain and numbness. I had a weird feeling of fullness in the hip, back and leg pain and the top of my foot was numb. It freaked me out.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
I start at the middle of the back...lowest lumbar spine - and roll under the waistline, and then at 45 degrees into the glute. As mentioned above if it's Piriformis you will find a pressure point somewhere in the glute and once you work that you will get some release. Don't overdo it on the rolling or you will be sore as hell.

After having this for over a year I stumbled on an article online about release, broke out the tennis ball and immediately started feeling less of the pain and numbness. I had a weird feeling of fullness in the hip, back and leg pain and the top of my foot was numb. It freaked me out.

I started getting some pain on the top of my foot..right above my where my big toe begins. Didn't know what it was till I realised it was the sciatic nerve. Thanks for your input!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
x2

A lacross, baseball, tennis ball, golf ball is much cheaper and there are other ways to deload a spine thats much more convenient than an inversion table or boots. 

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
A lacross, baseball, tennis ball, golf ball is much cheaper and there are other ways to deload a spine thats much more convenient than an inversion table or boots. 

Could you elaborate? Some links and vids would be great as well. 

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »
I started getting some pain on the top of my foot..right above my where my big toe begins. Didn't know what it was till I realised it was the sciatic nerve. Thanks for your input!
If you have a ruptured or bulging disc in your back, it can press on the sciatic nerve and cause tingling or numbness in your foot.  If you let a ruptured disc go without surgery, it can press on the nerve so long, that the nerve stops working and you experience muscle atrophy.  I would try the inversion therapy if it is just a bulging disc, if it's ruptured, get it surgically cleaned up quickly before permanent damage is done. 

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

Your expertise is welcome.

exocet

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
Coach is right. See a doctor. Keyword being DOCTOR not a chiropractor.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
Coach is right. See a doctor. Keyword being DOCTOR not a chiropractor.

::) Here we go again....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16517383

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
a chiropractor is a doctor

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
I had this

At first, just was dosing 200-400mg of NSAIDS every 4 hours.  That would minimize the pain.  

Bought reasonable Inversion Table ($100) at Sports Authority, some relief not a cure all.

Went to DR, went on 5 days of Methyl-prednisone, and it knocked it out.

I know that any movement that adds compression to your spine definitely aggravates it.  Best luck,

OB

whitewidow

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »
I have it bad! I dont think surgery is necessary yet wait a few months and see if it is still bothering you. take some ibuprofen at first. maybe see a dcotor. I have alot of disc herniations and a frature in my spine so I get pain meds and they help alot. but they are not worth getting addictive to. try ibuprofen first and talk to a doctor. you might need a MRI done and see whats really wrong and causing the sciatica pain sometimes it can be a disc causing the pain. If you cant sit down for 10 minutes without standing up do to pain you def have a problem and need some help from a doctor.

exocet

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
a chiropractor is a doctor

I understand that  a chiropractor is a doctor, similar to a dentist, or a podiatrist. However, my intention was for the original poster to make an informed decision for his spine. I have not had any serious spinal injuries, nor have I had any experiences with a chiropractor.

I am sure that there are people on this forum who swear by them (chiropractors). Personally, I am wary of them. You know what they call a guy who graduates from medical school with a C average don't you? ......Doctor.   ;D

Long story, short; Krankenstein do what you feel is best with your health care. But do your research thoroughly.  :)

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »

wikipedia said inversion treatment could be bro science since laying down also decrompresses the spine

but good to hear it works