Author Topic: Dumbbell schrugs  (Read 2430 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Dumbbell schrugs
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
Donny´s tip of the month...why the hell waste your shoulders with upright rows??

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: Dumbbell schrugs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:01 AM »
Whats a schrug

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:31:23 AM »
A jewish shrug ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:39:02 AM »

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »
Donny´s tip of the month...why the hell waste your shoulders with upright rows??

When ever i've done upright rows my elbows have ended fucked! Never again.

For traps DB shrugs is the best. Front shrugs my groin gets inbetween, behing, my ass gets in between.
Boundary Breaker

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
With Voland's problem of too huge a front package and too large a rump hump, he might consider a trap/shrug bar rather than DB's. Much easier on the grip/wrist and a trap bar will not rub against the legs as a DB would..

When doing shrugs with a straight bar, experimenting with different hand positions may give a better focus , and stretch, to trap and upper back development ,for some. Anywhere from a close grip to a collar to collar grip and anywhere in between. Worth a few extra sets to find what might advance the size and strength of the traps if that muscle group seems slow or stubborn to develop. Good Luck.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
Agreed!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
db shrugs are a waste, use the bar, no way you can go heavy enough with db's.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
i like smith reverse shrug as well bar dosen't get caught going up than with usual rack .and regular fr shrugs with bar way to go,,if i do dumbell i'll switch up go down 3x from heaviest and drop 10lbs each dumbell 10 rep sets.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
i like smith reverse shrug as well bar dosen't get caught going up than with usual rack .and regular fr shrugs with bar way to go,,if i do dumbell i'll switch up go down 3x from heaviest and drop 10lbs each dumbell 10 rep sets.
i just dont feel shit with db's, for me i need to feel that huge downward pull of a very heavy bar in front.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »
i just dont feel shit with db's, for me i need to feel that huge downward pull of a very heavy bar in front.
i do bar 80 pct time fr or back ,,,i even use the sometimes biggest waste of equipment the hammer strenght press for chest the one that presses from floor up, shrugs work good on that.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »

i get what your saying, the heavy stretch you get with the bar feels like your building thickness from the stretch alone...

kills my forearms/biceps tendons even with straps these days, have to go the db route now

ive got 3 variations i go with,,, seated, leaning forward...... conventional standing and yates style, bending the arms

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »
i get what your saying, the heavy stretch you get with the bar feels like your building thickness from the stretch alone...

kills my forearms/biceps tendons even with straps these days, have to go the db route now

ive got 3 variations i go with,,, seated, leaning forward...... conventional standing and yates style, bending the arms
yep exactly.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:22 AM »
OK, i wrote "SCHRUGS" instead of shrugs because i live in Germany and write and speak German every day and i sometimes cross over between English and German.. ??? 

Loc

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

I think upright are good for finishing off shoulders and warming up traps. Assuming you start with shoulders and end with traps, some do it vice versa like Kevin Levrone don't know why.