Author Topic: Nintendo DS looks like its failing quite badly thus far....  (Read 5847 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: Nintendo DS looks like its failing quite badly thus far....
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
I can't wait for the new Resident Evil game coming in Feb. for the 3ds.  I have played them all.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
Not really much of a gamer these days as I think over the last decade games have gone forward in terms of graphics and backwards in terms of gameplay - dumbed down for masses = more profit.  Anyways, I did like the old DS though and when I heard of the launch of the 3DS, I thought the orginal DS awesomeness could potentially be improved further... never really cared for the 3D feature and probaby would have it allways turned off if i owned one....but i did think they would have some top quality games for the system that would be fun 3D or not.... but looking at the reviews the games released so far have gotten, it seems to be doing pretty badly.  Eh, perhaps next year it will really shine...

Gaming for the most part sucks these days though, i guess the current generation dont know any better though and are blissfully unaware, the golden era was the SNES/N64 days for sure... dont get me wrong theres still a few gems out there but it aint like it used to be, and that aint just nostalgia... i went back and played some of the old greats not so long
ago and they are still blow most of the trash thats churned out today away.

quite possible one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read at getbig. I admit I am a big gamer and rent (through gamefly) every game with a good review score that comes out. The games just get better and better every year

anab0lic

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
quite possible one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read at getbig. I admit I am a big gamer and rent (through gamefly) every game with a good review score that comes out. The games just get better and better every year

::)

Simple things please simple minds.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

I played back in the NEW/genesis/SNES days and still do today. those days were awesome but playing those games today, they just arent fun anymore

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
some people will soon have a tough time dealing with the realities of the recession ...

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
earl and alpha are right

new games kill old games

back in time i thought conkers bad fur day was the best game ever, played it a half year ago again and thought wow games today are much better

nostalgia leads u guys, new games are much better
music is a matter of taste IMO, rap gets better for me
movies are also a matter of taste, good movies started 95', there are good movies before but not that many, again the nostalgia makes people think schwarzenegger movies were good just like scarface, love that movie but in reality it was a shitty film

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »

stop dwelling on the past

games back then really were for kids, now games are for everybody

E

E

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
games keep improving over time, but they also keep degenerating over time.  we all know the ways in which they keep improving, but a lot of people seem blind to the ways in which they keep going backwards.  games have gotten easier and easier to the point where something like dark souls comes out and people call it "impossible" lol.  if this game had been released 20 years ago it would have fit right in.  

when genres like FPS and WRPG mostly moved to consoles, they went backwards in many ways as well.  dual analog control meant the enemies had to be slower and dumber, hardware restrictions meant smaller levels and less detailed graphics, and so on.

many games like GTA, Zelda, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and the like haven't changed much, apart from the graphics, in the last ten years.  In the case of grand theft auto, the fourth installment is worse than the third in pretty much every way except for graphics.  The Zelda games, apart from graphics, really have barely changed whatsoever.  The final fantasy games got increasingly linear and went off the deep end with the cinematics.  Comparing metal gear solid 4 to 1 is a joke.  The fourth has better shooting mechanics, vastly better graphics, much better animation (especially in cutscenes) and STILL manages to be a horrible, disjointed mess because the developers forgot they were making a game and not a movie; consequently, it can't even hold a candle to the first installment in the series.

Take a game like bioshock and look at its lineage.  It's the direct descendant of system shock 1 & 2, thief 1 & 2, and deus ex... nostalgia has nothing to do with it.  ANY of these games is OBVIOUSLY much superior in EVERY WAY other than graphics technology (and i stress technology, because artistically bioshock is a mess by comparison).  They have bigger and more complex levels, better controls, more intelligently designed enemies, more engaging stories, and are actually challenging (in bioshock you can't even die lol wtf).

On that note, look at thief: deadly shadows.  Not a SINGLE person who has played the entire series will tell you anything other than "it's an okay game, but falls well short of the first two entries."  Thief II was a step up from thief I in almost every way, and then, to satisfy the rush of new gamers with xboxes, they had to dumb everything down hugely for the third installment -- tiny levels with multiple loading zones, a hackneyed "open world" component shoved in for no other reason than "GTA sells a lot so lets make our game more like it," simplistic level design and glowing UI elements everywhere, because it's impossible to see shit when your artists have no talent / you're developing a dark 3D game for SDTVs.

Another example is red dead redemption, rockstar's latest open world game.  If any of you actually played GTA III, rockstar's FIRST open world game, you know how far astray they've gone.

I hope you all realize, too, that every time the newest CoD or Battlefield game comes out, the professional community (ie the people who are the most knowledgeable about these games, love them the most, and generally have the best taste) play them for about 2 months before going back to counterstrike because, guess what, the new games are BORING.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
i like playing games which are hard but possible to solve

what the fuck is that castlevania 2d megaman 2d shit where you have to take antidepressiva just to feel good again

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »
Ninja Gaiden's awesome.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
i start games always at the hard modus

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
i like playing games which are hard but possible to solve

what the fuck is that castlevania 2d megaman 2d shit where you have to take antidepressiva just to feel good again

these games aren't that hard.  people who think they are have just been brainwashed by fuckin bioshock and call of duty with their "impossible to lose" game design, which involves checkpoints every two seconds along with regenerating life + cover everywhere.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
Play Max Payne, look at the average third-person shooter released today, and then tell me to "stop living in the past."

newmom

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
jeebus, I can't even get past a certain part scooby doo wii game

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 05:28:16 PM »
these games aren't that hard.  people who think they are have just been brainwashed by fuckin bioshock and call of duty with their "impossible to lose" game design, which involves checkpoints every two seconds along with regenerating life + cover everywhere.

yes they were and it has nothing to do with being hard to solve if there are no checkpoints
thats just annoying, i dont wanna start somewhere 2h earlier when i die
that was always annoying in gta games, everytime u died you had to drive 30minutes again just to get to the action

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
earl and alpha are right

new games kill old games

back in time i thought conkers bad fur day was the best game ever, played it a half year ago again and thought wow games today are much better

nostalgia leads u guys, new games are much better
music is a matter of taste IMO, rap gets better for me
movies are also a matter of taste, good movies started 95', there are good movies before but not that many, again the nostalgia makes people think schwarzenegger movies were good just like scarface, love that movie but in reality it was a shitty film

quoted for TRUTH

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »

You realize you can adjust the difficulty level right?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
yes they were and it has nothing to do with being hard to solve if there are no checkpoints
thats just annoying, i dont wanna start somewhere 2h earlier when i die
that was always annoying in gta games, everytime u died you had to drive 30minutes again just to get to the action

it has plenty to do with checkpoints.  having to do a series of challenges in a row is MUCH harder than having to do that same series, one by one with a save point after each.  in the latter case, usually you can just stumble through on luck which is why all these new shooters/platformers/action games are so mindnumbing.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
You realize you can adjust the difficulty level right?

which generally does little more than giving the enemies more health while increasing their firepower... great, so now i have to sit behind my cover for twice as fucking long waiting for them to poke their head out.  sounds fun to me.  ::)

the point is that games today are designed for people who throw a tantrum if they can't beat a level on their first or second try, while games used to be developed mostly for seasoned players who wanted to test and improve their skills, not sleep through a bunch of vaguely interactive bullshit.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
which generally does little more than giving the enemies more health while increasing their firepower... great, so now i have to sit behind my cover for twice as fucking long waiting for them to poke their head out.  sounds fun to me.  ::)

the point is that games today are designed for people who throw a tantrum if they can't beat a level on their first or second try, while games used to be developed mostly for seasoned players who wanted to test and improve their skills, not sleep through a bunch of vaguely interactive bullshit.

I see what you are saying, but personally I don't want to play a game where I scream "FUCK" every 2 minutes and want to throw my controller the whole time. I like a moderate challenge that gives me trouble but is also beatable. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 were some of the most challenging games this generation. Great games but almost too challenging, especially the first one.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
I see what you are saying, but personally I don't want to play a game where I scream "FUCK" every 2 minutes and want to throw my controller the whole time. I like a moderate challenge that gives me trouble but is also beatable. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 were some of the most challenging games this generation. Great games but almost too challenging, especially the first one.

I agree, and I'm pretty sure this is how everyone feels.  It's just that not everyone has the same skill level, so what is challenging or not will vary from player to player.  I'm not even that great at games myself, but a lot of the games I see praised today, like red dead redemption, bioshock, or uncharted 2, are just total snore fests... you can go like half the game without dying even once -- they must be balanced with preschoolers in mind!  now, a lot of times these games are mostly redeemed by other factors (like uncharted's incredible graphics, or red dead's / bioshock's "story" lol, sike) but the tendency is to lean on these too much, and besides these things do little to make the action more interesting.

as graphics have gotten better, there has been a desire to make things more "cinematic," which is fine, but the game (as opposed to movie) is distinguished by being interactive, and should be exciting to play as well as watch.  this is where things have regressed the most, i think.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
I agree, and I'm pretty sure this is how everyone feels.  It's just that not everyone has the same skill level, so what is challenging or not will vary from player to player.  I'm not even that great at games myself, but a lot of the games I see praised today, like red dead redemption, bioshock, or uncharted 2, are just total snore fests... you can go like half the game without dying even once -- they must be balanced with preschoolers in mind!  now, a lot of times these games are mostly redeemed by other factors (like uncharted's incredible graphics, or red dead's / bioshock's "story" lol, sike) but the tendency is to lean on these too much, and besides these things do little to make the action more interesting.

as graphics have gotten better, there has been a desire to make things more "cinematic," which is fine, but the game (as opposed to movie) is distinguished by being interactive, and should be exciting to play as well as watch.  this is where things have regressed the most, i think.

wtf...you just named of the finest gaming achievements of our generation. Bioshock I think is overrated though, especially with the horrible death system where you get revived in some chamber and don't miss a beat. That drove me nuts. Uncharted 2 is a complete masterpiece though

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »
only game i play the whole year around are the fifa games though
always great with friends, always, never gets old

guess its the same with madden for u guys

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
Another video game thread, time well spent, LOL.
T

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
lol at people thinking games were better back then...bullshit!

you just were younger and more interested thats it, for me that doesnt even count
when i play old games i always think how could you have fun with this simple shit?
games these days are much better
Hell no, the games where better in terms of challenge and purpose, a quest and a valid end, obviously not graphics,  but the Megaman series where epic, Castlevania series, zelda, and tetris still fun to play