Author Topic: Man finds $10K in Vegas, returns to owner- what would you do ?  (Read 5607 times)

bradistani

• Getbig V
Man finds $10K in Vegas, returns to owner- what would you do ?
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »
a few months ago i found £10 plus some change in a wallet on the floor of a car park. i kept the money, but tbh, i felt fucking awful about doing so. 10 grand though. thats a lot of coin. plus a lot of guilt  :-\

GREENWOOD VILLAGE - Nobody expects to become a saint in Sin City. Mitch Gilbert may have come close.

Gilbert had a winning weekend in Las Vegas in early December, but he came upon some really big money at the airport as he was about to catch a flight home.

Gilbert found $10,000 in two unmarked Caesar's Palace envelopes.

"There was $5,000 in each envelope. I just about fell over, I couldn't believe it," Gilbert said.

He discovered the cash when he opened the envelopes at his home in Greenwood Village.

"If it happened to me I sure would want that back," Gilbert said.

Some may have thought they hit the jackpot, but Gilbert knew he had to return the money.

"I wanted to show my kids the right thing to do. It would have been a lot easier keeping it to be honest with you. But I felt like I had to get it back to the right person," Gilbert said.

He called the airport in Las Vegas, but they would not even take down his name.

"They didn't do that. It was against the rules. I just said, 'Well, I'll keep calling back and I'll give it 30 days,'" Gilbert said.

Gilbert kept his word to continue calling the airport. More than two weeks later, the operator told him a man in El Paso, Texas reported losing two Caesar's Palace envelopes full of cash.

"She goes, 'Well, this is breaking the rules, but you're trying to do the right thing,'" Gilbert said.

9NEWS reached Ignacio Marquez by telephone from his home in El Paso. Marquez says he won the money gambling and dropped it as he was running to catch a flight.

"Relief is an understatement. Cash money is very difficult to get back. I'm very appreciative to Mitch and his family. You do not find people like this," Marquez said.

Marquez knew the odds of someone actually returning $10,000 were pretty slim.

"I will always thank Mitch for doing this. That could have easily just gone south, instead of what happened," Marquez said.

Gilbert deposited the money in Marquez's bank account just two days before Christmas.

"I think he was pretty much in shock. I don't know if he believed it," Gilbert said.

Even though Gilbert's real estate business is slow, he says returning the money was the only option.

"I would have loved to have $10,000. You think about all the bills you can pay. But it didn't belong to me," Gilbert said. "It felt so good to be able to get it back to the guy. I felt like I was floating on air. I felt like a million bucks."

http://www.9news.com/news/article/238021/222/Colorado-man-finds-10K-in-Vegas-returns-to-owner

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: Man finds $10K in Vegas, returns to owner- what would you do ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
buy more drugs - up the dosage
all drugs - TPPIIP

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
Props to him.
too many greedy fucks in this world, nice to see someone giving back what is not theirs.

nosleep

• Getbig IV
  • INJECT NOW. LAUGH LATER.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »
THATS A LOT OF KIGTROPINA.

:D
MEDICATED BY STRANGO

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
i've had the opportunity to not return much more money than 10k

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
i've had the opportunity to not return much more money than 10k
You mean you stole a car ?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:01:50 PM »
if I lost a huge sum of money and some human being returned it to me, I would surely reward you greatly.......stories like these are Golden and one in a million.....I'm sure this guy would lose something one day and someone with a kind heart would return it to him..........now, if you find money in an envelope in the street with no name, no owner, it's yours...that's totally different sitiation

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »

I would rent a car and drive through the Vegas waving a flag from window throwing that 10k out of skylight bill by bill !!

Then they would think I'm rich  8) 8)

Then I would fly back home with memories to remember in rocking chair when I'm retired.  

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »
if someone loses 10k, it probably wasnt their last bit of coin so I wouldnt lose any sleep over spending it on blow and hookers

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
I would rent a car and drive through the Vegas waving a flag from window throwing that 10k out of skylight bill by bill !!

Then they would think I'm rich  8) 8)

Then I would fly back home with memories to remember in rocking chair when I'm retired.  

that's if you're not followed home and make it there in one piece

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
Returned a Iphone 4s a week ago or so. Old swede would have kept it. Then again i found it just outside the building I live in.
Called "mother" on the phone and she responded "Hi darling" lol. The phone belonged to a visiting sister to my neighbor that just leaved earlier that day. I was called an Awesome person and got about a million thank you. I even said no to a reward. I told her she should give her kid an extra gift instead of giving me anything.

TEAM KARMA

TEAM POSITIVITY BABY

Swlabr

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
yes...would...have...kep t..it...and..bought...10 0...kits...kigtropin...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
It's not mine, I would return it if it is  possible to locate the owner. If it is about turning it in and eventually it going to a local  government general fund, I'd rather keep it.  

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »
Returned a Iphone 4s a week ago or so. Old swede would have kept it. Then again i found it just outside the building I live in.
Called "mother" on the phone and she responded "Hi darling" lol. The phone belonged to a visiting sister to my neighbor that just leaved earlier that day. I was called an Awesome person and got about a million thank you. I even said no to a reward. I told her she should give her kid an extra gift instead of giving me anything.

TEAM KARMA

TEAM POSITIVITY BABY

the buzz and great feeling you get from doing the right thing is better than the fleeting buzz you get from keeping the phone/money, whatever it is.

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
the buzz and great feeling you get from doing the right thing is better than the fleeting buzz you get from keeping the phone/money, whatever it is.

It took a while until she could come an pick it up. And during that time Her sister called, which I talked to and said the phone is safe with me. And then her Bf called lol. And then the Sister called her own phone (owner of the phone) and said "oh you wonderful person" when I picked up. Awesome feeling for sure. Was pretty close to xmas also.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
If there was a name or ID with it then YES.  But unmarked.  No fucking way.  The fact this guy went out of his way to call over and over is cool.  I wouldn't have.  I would have extended my trip and called up some of those hot trannies, whores you see in those local papers and had a blast.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »
Return it of course!

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
Return it of course!
x2 that's more like it.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
Return it of course!

Unmarked.  Who do you return it to?  Would you have called the airport everyday?  Or hand it over to the black guy that works at the counter who swears on his dead mom he will help find the rightful owner?  Come one man.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
Same thoughts as the guy who returned it- I would not want to lose that much money, so I would return it if possible. You would also have to consider the possibility that the person who lost it really needs the money (for example, for funding a relatives cancer treatment). You would have to be a pretty heartless person to not return it, i.e. your parents probably neglected you as a child.

Also boys who got picked on by others during childhood and adolescence -often sons without a father figure- try to compensate by lifting weights, to develop muscles and survive in ther male world. They re insecure because they re girly, childish, feminine having been raised by a single mom. They lift obsessively hoping it will transform them into men, to compensate for their lack of influence from a father figure that was not there. Unfortunaltey they can get as big as they can it doesnt cure their insecurity and who they truly are, how they grew up being raised by a single mom. They re no as manly as other men whatever they do, and they often have a big lack of masculine presence they dont know how to balance, hence often being borderline homosexuals while trying to get their manhood back thru various manly activities (mma, cars, weight lifting etc). They are often the ones that, in order to get respect from other males will go the steroids route to get even "bigger" attemptint to cure their insecurity , but being natural not being "enough", they still feel "too small", insecure, amongst other males. The lack of a father figure also often means they didnt have guidance to continue studies and are often working shitty manual jobs.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »
Unmarked.  Who do you return it to?  Would you have called the airport everyday?  Or hand it over to the black guy that works at the counter who swears on his dead mom he will help find the rightful owner?  Come one man.
Contact some one higher up in the chain, obviously you should proceed with caution and try to do the right thing. There is zero chance of the money getting back to the guy if you keep it, but there is at least some chance if you return it. The money doesn't belong to you, so you shouldn't be worrying about where it ends up that much.
follow the arrows

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »
 every hand is a winner...and every hand is a loser...

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »

racist post reported.
b

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
Keep it of course