Author Topic: Chicken Chest  (Read 3403 times)

cheftim

• Getbig III
Chicken Chest
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
My problem is nothing at all like Steiner's but just posted this pic as an example. My problem is that the outside of my chest is filling out while the inside seems the same. I prefer dumbells over barbells because I have a bad shoulder due to a motorcycle accident. My routine is as follows and order changes every workout. It's done once per week with a training partner that helps me go to complete muscle failure on each of the last sets. Any suggestions?

4-5 dumbell incline press
4-5 flat dumbell press
4-5 decline dumbell press
4-5 dumbell flies. always switch it between incline, flat, and decline
3-4 weighted dips

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
Re: Chicken Chest
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
Add seated cable crosses, cable flies etc. Do them very slow and squeeze focusing on the area you want. Like your doing a most muscular shot. Don't be afraid to do a lot of sets of those 5 or 6 sets with short rest periods.
Boundary Breaker

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »
Add seated cable crosses, cable flies etc. Do them very slow and squeeze focusing on the area you want. Like your doing a most muscular shot. Don't be afraid to do a lot of sets of those 5 or 6 sets with short rest periods.
this,,,,,and i perform dumbell press and incline too but as u press at the top twist hands in and squeeze it looks like a flye when finished .i was shown this yrs ago by a pro bber and have done them on and off for yrs...

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
as odd as this may sound the problem may be that you cant and arent using barbell presses in your training, im a believer in that the WIDER  a grip you use in chest training the more INNER chest is worked, just like the closer your grip in back training tends to work the outer back and the wider your foot spacing on leg work tends to emphasize the inner leg, just my 2 cents.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
as odd as this may sound the problem may be that you cant and arent using barbell presses in your training, im a believer in that the WIDER  a grip you use in chest training the more INNER chest is worked, just like the closer your grip in back training tends to work the outer back and the wider your foot spacing on leg work tends to emphasize the inner leg, just my 2 cents.
good points,,,,i hate barbell press.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:32:28 PM »
good points,,,,i hate barbell press.
yeah, a lot of guys develop shoulder problems from them, my feeling is that if you pull your shoulder blades back at the beginning of a set and keep them pinned back you should be able to keep your shoulders healthy, it all has to do with your elbow position in relation to the floor, the further your elbows drop the more risk you put your shoulders at, thats why you should NEVER take a weight off the rack yourself on benches, when you do you automatically put your shoulders in a bad mechanical position for pressing, ALWAYS get a hand off and keep your scapula retracted during the set.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
two of the best bench press instructional videos ive seen, if you take his advice more than likely you'll never develop shoulder problems from benching.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »
yeah, a lot of guys develop shoulder problems from them, my feeling is that if you pull your shoulder blades back at the beginning of a set and keep them pinned back you should be able to keep your shoulders healthy, it all has to do with your elbow position in relation to the floor, the further your elbows drop the more risk you put your shoulders at, thats why you should NEVER take a weight off the rack yourself on benches, when you do you automatically put your shoulders in a bad mechanical position for pressing, ALWAYS get a hand off and keep your scapula retracted during the set.
i've seen some amazing pressers over the yrs in person put up staggering weights,,some had good chests some had frdelt/triceps that took the load,,,it is a very mechanical and natural movement for some,,to me it was cumbersome and i never got the feel from them ,i always wanted to be one of those fluid pressers where the weight cruises and that clanging weights from 3 to 4 plates ,,,just not in the cards ,,i have the chest and look but as my wife would say 'all show and no go'

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:42:57 PM »
i've seen some amazing pressers over the yrs in person put up staggering weights,,some had good chests some had frdelt/triceps that took the load,,,it is a very mechanical and natural movement for some,,to me it was cumbersome and i never got the feel from them ,i always wanted to be one of those fluid pressers where the weight cruises and that clanging weights from 3 to 4 plates ,,,just not in the cards ,,i have the chest and look but as my wife would say 'all show and no go'
lol, i agree, some guys just seem to be born pressers but MOST have to work at it, the key is making the most of your own bodies particular leverages, ANYONE can improve their bench, not everyone can be a 400-500 pound bencher but ANYONE can build their chest with barbells and dumbbells.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
lol, i agree, some guys just seem to be born pressers but MOST have to work at it, the key is making the most of your own bodies particular leverages, ANYONE can improve their bench, not everyone can be a 400-500 pound bencher but ANYONE can build their chest with barbells and dumbbells.
well said,,,