Author Topic: Weak, need help getting stronger  (Read 5696 times)

Kaban

• Getbig I
Weak, need help getting stronger
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
Hi, I am 30 and feeling weak physically/mentally and I need some help (will focus on physically). I need help getting stronger and hopefully not injuring my self, I am not a very healthy person and have several health issues.

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 165lb
Body type: beergut+skinnyarms

Preexisting health conditions/problems:
1. Ex-smoker; I have been smoking for ~15years...now quit and recovering 10months smoke free
2. Bad cardio health; my heart rate goes up really fast and I run out of breath quickly
3. Bad Immune system; I get sick very easily (typically get several colds/flu's each year)
4. Sitting alot; I sit at the computer all day at work, sit in traffic and sit at home
5. Bad back; I have lower back problems, it gets strained easily and I get bed bound for months at a time (typically if i workout too much)
6. Diet can use an improvement

Goals:
Getting stronger (get that feeling of a man, not feeling weak)
Staying smoke free; keeping it up
Improving Cardio health; doing cardio before workouts
Improving immune system; perhaps with diet and supplements
Balance off sitting around; perhaps taking few minutes to walk around and stretch
Taking it easy on the back and try not to injure my self
Improving ditet; cut off sugar stuff and fried food, eat more veggies

I am joining a gym and going on a 3working days/week program and also will try to jog when I can (typically will be weekends)
I also want to quit drinking alcohol and sweet drinks

Tips on starting off will be great, I will most likely use this thread as a journal, thanks!

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Re: Weak, need help getting stronger
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
Congrats on your resolve- I assume this is a new year's resolution? Hope it lasts.

If you want to get stronger, you will need to focus on what are called compound exercises.

These are the squat, the deadlift, the bench press, the shoulder press, the chin-up, etc. They are ideal in improving core strength, but are difficult to master and you will need to practice them a lot. Try looking for a personal trainer.

3x a week training is ideal. Try making these full body workouts, which means 2-3 of the above exercises (don't do deadlift and squat on same day, it's too much for your CNS), maybe a couple of isolation exercises (triceps, calves) and an assistance one (abs).

You're very skinny for your height... you need to start eating and also learn about nutrition.

This website: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
is the ultimate reference for nutrition and also included quite a bit of training.

Finally, it's consistency that will be your main hurdle... if you're serious about this, you have a lot to learn and will often need to be ready to change things as you learn more...

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:13:27 PM »
Have you consulted an Ear, Nose, and Throat about your frequent respiratory infections?...I had a deviated septum...When they fixed my deviated septum and took my tonsils out that stopped my colds/flu like turning off a switch!

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:09 AM »
Hi, I am 30I am not a very healthy person and have several health issues.

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 165lb
Body type: beergut+skinnyarms

Preexisting health conditions/problems:
1. Ex-smoker; I have been smoking for ~15years...now quit and recovering 10months smoke free
2. Bad cardio health; my heart rate goes up really fast and I run out of breath quickly
3. Bad Immune system; I get sick very easily (typically get several colds/flu's each year)
4. Sitting alot; I sit at the computer all day at work, sit in traffic and sit at home
5. Bad back; I have lower back problems, it gets strained easily and I get bed bound for months at a time (typically if i workout too much)
6. Diet can use an improvement

Goals:
Getting stronger (get that feeling of a man, not feeling weak)
Staying smoke free; keeping it up
Improving Cardio health; doing cardio before workouts
Improving immune system; perhaps with diet and supplements
Balance off sitting around; perhaps taking few minutes to walk around and stretch
Taking it easy on the back and try not to injure my self
Improving ditet; cut off sugar stuff and fried food, eat more veggies

I am joining a gym and going on a 3working days/week program and also will try to jog when I can (typically will be weekends)
I also want to quit drinking alcohol and sweet drinks

Tips on starting off will be great, I will most likely use this thread as a journal, thanks!

jogging/running isn't great for lower back issues .. try speed walking ( without slamming your feet onto the treadmill ) use a steep incline .. or just use an eliptical to raise your heart rate .. are you breathing properly when doing your doing cardio ?

desk jobs are crap for getting any movement in during the day so just don't sit so much .. get up and down as much as you can and take stairs when you can and use the long way around to go take a leak .. park further away from work so you have to walk a bit

like sync said ... go see an ENT guy and get checked .. 6' and 165 lbs is not big you should be able to lean out and build your endurance easily .. you've become very sedentary and use many reasons why .. sort your issues out starting with the easiest ones first then keep going

get rid of your problems before trying to build up .. fight one battle at a time

I'm sure your beer gut is adding to your back issues also so get rid of it with ab training and better diet choices

your core strength is prolly shite ... since you're only 30 you should get serious now or it will just get worse

Kaban

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
Have you consulted an Ear, Nose, and Throat about your frequent respiratory infections?...I had a deviated septum...When they fixed my deviated septum and took my tonsils out that stopped my colds/flu like turning off a switch!

Thanks for reminding me, I was meaning to do that...I have tonsillitis and need to talk to the docs if anything can be done about it

Raymondo: Def good points and def true about being consistent. I do have workouts broken down to core areas (chest, shoulders, triceps)(Back, biceps)(legs) thanks for website will get some tips there too.

W8M8: Good point about jogging, someone mentioned that to me before...I think I will switch to something involves pedaling or eliptical and has less impact on the back. In summer I plan on swimming at the public pool.

gona find an ENT doc and schedule that asap

Kaban

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:29:32 PM »
So far 1 week of consistent workouts, gotta keep it up.

Also got an ENT appointment next week.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »
compound exercises
squats, bench, shoulder press, shrugs, curls deadlift
 as you are tall and thin maybe you could get some one to guide you for a few squats as I have noticed over the years a tendency for tall thin squatters to twist on the way up. Lifting is about leverage as well as weight

simple sessions no more than twice a week
if you simplify your routine without too many repititions you may not have to hang around as much in the gym between exercises waiting for equipment.

Ignore the triangles on matchstick legs
Most fellows seem to spend lots of time effort and mirror grazing on their opper bodies - a muscled / defined upper body on weak legs looks odd and vain

Eat well
this does not mean lots of supplements or chemical aids. Get enough good quality food that you enjoy
and the hardest part - patience - steady as she goes, its pointless measuring youself against others as its your life , your body , enjoy yourself
c

chess315

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
 excellent advice all around just stay with it thats the main thing your diet dont have to be perfect just decent try to get a little protein in every meal and so forth I wouldnt buy a supplement 1 like the above posters said. I dont know how strong or weak you are your 30yo lets just guess your bench is 135 for 1 rep it is more then possible with a decent diet and training to build that to 250 in the course of a year. I dont mean a perfect diet just eat sensible go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour and work failry hard. If you keep with it for a yr or 2 you will be glad you did. You may think you have no potential I have worked with some of the weakest people that cant bench 115 and seen them build great strength

jannet

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »
Well my dear friend you need to take some sort of energy foods which can boost your energy level .I think you need to consult a doctor for better advice...

Kaban

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:16:04 AM »

So i got back from ENT and indeed I have a deviate septum, my tonsils look good tho...so i'll get that fixed and hopefully will make several problems go away

Kaban

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
A small update.

Have not been consistent with workouts yet. I've only been doing light workouts 1-2 times a week.

Once I get settled in this new job and moving situation figured out I will know which gym to signup to. However I got freeweights at home and bought a bench today to keep up the workouts.

scheduled surgery for deviated septim

p.s. just had a killer workout with the new bench, this thing is useful for sure

jparker

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
Are you still at it? If so keep pushing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 04:37:08 AM »
6 foot, 165 pounds?

Eat.  All the BBing food you can, plus some mcgriddles and taco bell for more calories.  Gonna take a lot to change that.

Monday - squat day + legs

Wed - Deadlift day + back and biceps

Fri - Bench Day + chest, triceps, shoulders

Half powerlifter, half bodybuilding.   You gotta SHOCK your body or you'll add 8 or 10 pounds max and look the same as you always have.

Kaban

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
Wanted to drop an update.

I had my deviated septum surgery about 1.5months ago and have been working out regularly for 2 weeks now. I think there is improvement, I can breathe better while running.

At one point I got up to 175lb before I started working out again post op.