Author Topic: Pec tear bench press disaster (video)  (Read 53491 times)

climber

• Getbig III
Re: Pec tear bench press disaster (video)
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Imagine if suckmymuscle was ever outed.  That would go down as one of the best ever for sure.

he doesn't talk shit... it's obvious suckmymuscle knows what he's talking about. you can't get outed if you don't talk shit.
Hrmmm

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
he doesn't talk shit... it's obvious suckmymuscle knows what he's talking about. you can't get outed if you don't talk shit.
::)  Bi-polar?

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
Hrmmm

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
 ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
;D

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...Coach stomped like a bitch!!! Thanks, ND. I was too indolent to care to post evidence for why he is wrong.

It seems like Suckmymuscle, who has no special training in kinesiology, knows more about this shit than "Coach" who dedicated his entire pathetic life to it. So I know more than this moron even in the one area he is supposed to know more than me. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Pec tear bench disaster (video)
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
my buddy completly tore his pec benching 250lbs. don't ask me how. we were 20 or so at the time.
however at the hospital the doctor told him that tears can only happen if you're on steroids so that must be the reason.
lol, the "doctor" must have just watched this gem. ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
Sucky, can you explain again to me how a bench shirt is like having an extra tendon? Your impassioned speech to this topic fits quite well with the bench press video from the OP. You can stress how the bench shirt would have acted like an extra tendon and helped keep the lad from tearing his pectoralis.

The bench shirt allows you to bench more because it restricts your plane of motion and thus allows you to focus more sarcomeres on moving the weight rather than balancing it.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
 Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...Coach stomped like a bitch!!! Thanks, ND. I was too indolent to care to post evidence for why he is wrong.

It seems like Suckmymuscle, who has no special training in kinesiology, knows more about this shit than "Coach" who dedicated his entire pathetic life to it. So I know more than this moron even in the one area he is supposed to know more than me. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You're one dumb SOB. You said it helped for thicker traps. Any dumbshit knows you need those muscles recruited for stabilization. You acted like it trap exercise.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
 The bench shirt allows you to bench more because it restricts your plane of motion and thus allows you to focus more sarcomeres on moving the weight rather than balancing it.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

That is not really its primary role.  The shirt stretches and provides extra torque around the shoulders.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
;D

This wiki was obviously written by a bodybuilder. "For bodybuilding purposes" as if thats the only purpose..haha.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
You're one dumb SOB. You said it helped for thicker traps. Any dumbshit knows you need those muscles recruited for stabilization. You acted like it trap exercise.

It does help for thicker traps, moron.

Bench press = works the traps thus makes it thicker. Duh!!!! :P

Pec Deck flyes and pullovers = do not work the traps hence = does not make them thicker.

I do not know how I can make this any simpler for youyr retarded middle school P.E teacher brain to understand.

I never said the bench press directly works the traps, you dumb fucktard; I said it works the traps too. But apparently, seventh grade reading comprehension is beyond you.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
That is not really its primary role.  The shirt stretches and provides extra torque around the shoulders.

No, most of the strength gain it causes is due to restricting the plane of motion which allows you to focus more sarcomeres on moving hte weight than balancing it. It is the same reason why you can bench a lot more in a smith machine rather than with a barbell.

The amount of momentum transfered in the form of kinetic energy from the eccentric part of the exercise to the elastic tissue of the shirt is very, very small. Think of a pencil rubber. If you squeeze it down and then release it, the degree it stretches up is much less than the compression you did to it. Very little knetic energy is stored to be released.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
 No, most of the strength gain it causes is due to restricting the plane of motion which allows you to focus more sarcomeres on moving hte weight than balancing it. It is the same reason why you can bench a lot more in a smith machine rather than with a barbell.

The amount of momentum transfered in the form of kinetic energy from the eccentric part of the exercise to the elastic tissue of the shirt is very, very small. Think of a pencil rubber. If you squeeze it down and then release it, the degree it stretches up is much less than the compression you did to it. Very little knetic energy is stored to be released.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

have you ever used a bench shirt? my single ply katana needed over 600lbs of pressure to be able to touch my chest, so no, it doesn't just 'focus the sarcomeres'. you need to use the correct plane to maximise the shirt's leverage but its very easy to dump the weight and hurt yourself.  nothing at all like smith machine.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
lol, the "doctor" must have just watched this gem. ;D

hahahaha....Where's the part where this crazed, hormonally induced maniac effortlessly throws the 50lb dumbbell halfway across the basement when his father opens the door to announce that dinner is ready??

"The problems not YOU.....DAD!!!!!!"

"The problems MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!""

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
have you ever used a bench shirt? my single ply katana needed over 600lbs of pressure to be able to touch my chest, so no, it doesn't just 'focus the sarcomeres'. you need to use the correct plane to maximise the shirt's leverage but its very easy to dump the weight and hurt yourself.  nothing at all like smith machine.

Exactly, I was going to say something like this... but best to leave it to a powerlifter to reply!
Hrmmm

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Oh boy where to begin?  Have you every actually used a bench shirt?

(1) I'll start with a quick physics lesson:

Momentum and energy are different physical quantities, so to talk about one being transferred in the form of the other is nonsensical.  Momentum in any case is not an important variable at all in (properly judged) powerlifting because you have to pause at the bottom (zero momentum).  The strain energy in the shirt does not come from a change in momentum, it comes from the bar being lowered to the chest (change in potential energy).

"Restricting the plane of motion" has little if anything to do with it, nor does benching on a smith versus a free weight.  A good shirt literally adds hundreds of pounds to a lift.  Nobody gets hundreds of extra pounds out of a smith machine.  The correct discussion is on the strain energy transferred into the shirt, which is, I assure you, quite substantial, as the shirts are very stiff.  This is why you can lift more in a triple-ply shirt than in a double or a single (thicker, stiffer, more energy stored for a given stretch).  It is conceptually the same thing as lifting with rubber bands supporting the bar, which don't "restrict the plane of motion" at all, but sure make the lift a lot easier, more so with stiffer bands.

(2) In the sequel we'll move onto material science:

An eraser acting in compression is in no way comparable to a bench shirt acting under tension.  Try stretching this eraser or any elastic material like a rubber band and see how quickly it returns to its original length.  Refer back the rubber band example if you're having trouble keeping up.  Muscles only act under tension so I'm not sure why you would think a compressive case is in any way relevant.

(3) And to close it off, a lesson in psychology:

You're a fucking moron.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
Oh boy where to begin?  Have you every actually used a bench shirt?

You see, you think you have struck gold but you are just talking out of your ass again. Let's address your post point by point.

(1) I'll start with a quick physics lesson:

Even worse than your physics is your reading comprehension. I would say your physics is at the middle school level whilst your reading comprehension is at the primary school level.

Momentum and energy are different physical quantities, so to talk about one being transferred in the form of the other is nonsensical.

You see, this is exactly the problem with having debates on Getbig. You get to answer straw man arguments all the time, because guys can't really interpret what they are reading.

Where have I stated that momentum and energy are the same? I said the energy from momentum is stored by the elastic fibrous matter of the benching shirt and then released.

Momentum in any case is not an important variable at all in (properly judged) powerlifting because you have to pause at the bottom (zero momentum).  The strain energy in the shirt does not come from a change in momentum, it comes from the bar being lowered to the chest (change in potential energy).

The pause is irrelevant, and here is why: the kinetic energy is stored in the elastic fribrous matter of the shirt, and you can hold it down for as long as you want applying a force in the opposite direction, but once you stop applying the force downwards, the stored energy is released pushing the bar back up. So you can hold the bar down as long as you want, and as soon as you release it, the stored kinetic energy is released upwards allowing you to press the bar up with less force than what would be required ordinarily to overcome gravity.

"Restricting the plane of motion" has little if anything to do with it, nor does benching on a smith versus a free weight.

Of course it does. What other variable is there when it comes to a regular bench vs a smith machine press? There is no elastic property storing energy to push the bar up.

A good shirt literally adds hundreds of pounds to a lift.  Nobody gets hundreds of extra pounds out of a smith machine.

Of course you do. Pro bodybuilders bench up to 7 plates a side on the smith, but they can barely bench 4 on the flat bench. Ronnie was the strongest pro ever and the most he could do on the flat bench for a few reps was 5 plates. Dorian Yates was also very strong and he only used 4 plates on the flat bench. On the smith machine tons of gym rats can press 4 plates a side.

The correct discussion is on the strain energy transferred into the shirt, which is, I assure you, quite substantial, as the shirts are very stiff.  This is why you can lift more in a triple-ply shirt than in a double or a single (thicker, stiffer, more energy stored for a given stretch).  It is conceptually the same thing as lifting with rubber bands supporting the bar, which don't "restrict the plane of motion" at all, but sure make the lift a lot easier, more so with stiffer bands.

Entropy dictates that most energy is lost and not all stored in the fibrous elastic material of the shirt. You cannot get out of a system more or as much energy as you put into it. Let me prove this to you. Grab a spring and press it down then release it. It will go up very hard the first time, then lower the second and so forth. Energy applies to a system is always reduced.

(2) In the sequel we'll move onto material science:

An eraser acting in compression is in no way comparable to a bench shirt acting under tension.  Try stretching this eraser or any elastic material like a rubber band and see how quickly it returns to its original length.  Refer back the rubber band example if you're having trouble keeping up.  Muscles only act under tension so I'm not sure why you would think a compressive case is in any way relevant.

I am having difficulty interpreting this convoluted paragraph. "Muscles only act under tension". I am not talking about muscular contraction but the kinetic energy of the eccentric part of the movement being stored in the fibrous elastic material of the benching shirt under tension. What is your sentence even supposed to mean, and how is this relevant to the discussion? The bottom line is that most of the strength gained from the benching shirt is due to increased sarcomere mobilization and not like you inaccurately claim due to stored kinetic energy from the compression of the benching shirt elastic tissue.

(3) And to close it off, a lesson in psychology:
You're a fucking moron.

Here is a lesson in humility for you: don't try to debate people who are smarter than you, because it makes you look worse than a moron. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »
lol @ "the pause is irrelevant"

Have you seriously never heard of strain energy ???  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_energy

Perhaps "elastic energy" is a term your third-tier education is more familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_energy

I won't bother addressing the rest of your meaningless drivel (you actually just repeated my argument) but why should anyone be humble around you?  You're the most arrogant, prickish, poorly-liked poster on this whole site.

If the concept of muscles only acting in tension is incomprehensible to you, then I suggest abandoning this debate.

Edit: haha now he's editing his posts.  Better luck next time, son.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
In fact I'll tell you what, "sucks man's muscle", if you can find even one other prominent poster who agrees with you I'll post my account password right here in this thread.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
lol @ "the pause is irrelevant"

Have you seriously never heard of strain energy ???  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_energy

Perhaps "elastic energy" is a term your third-tier education is more familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_energy

I won't bother addressing the rest of your meaningless drivel (you actually just repeated my argument) but why should anyone be humble around you?  You're the most arrogant, prickish, poorly-liked poster on this whole site.

If the concept of muscles only acting in tension is incomprehensible to you then I suggest abandoning this debate.

What the fuck has muscles acting under tension got to do with the etiology of increased strength from using a benching shirt? And how am I repeating your arguments, dumbass? You are arguing that the benching shirt increases strength because it increases torque - you are misusing the word, by the way - around the shoulder; I am arguing that this is statistically meaningless when it comes to explaining this strength increase and that the true cause it because the tension of the shirt acts to decrease the amount of sarcomeres needed to balance the weight thus leaving more of them to move the weight. So how am I repeating your arguments, dumby? Your English sucks, which combined with your poor conceptualization ability makes this debate impossible. "Hulkotron", you are much too dumb to have a debate with. Keep up with your straw man arguments, playing with semantics and misrepresenting what I write. At least you are minimally talented at that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2012, 04:42:08 PM »
In fact I'll tell you what, Mr.Suckmymuscle, if you can find even one other prominent poster who agrees with you I'll post my account password right here in this thread.

I don't need anyone to agree with me. I don't care about ad populum just like I don't care about ad verecundiam. I care only about the truth which is assertained through logic and evidence. Your evidence is poorly substantiated and your logic sucks.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
 What the fuck has muscles acting under tension got to do with the etiology of increased strength from using a benching shirt? And how am I repeating your arguments, dumbass? You are arguing that the benching shirt increases strength because it increases torque

SUCKMYMUSCLE

This is exactly right, yes.  The shirt creates net torques about the joints that the lifter otherwise could not create on their own.  Anyone with any basic understanding of mechanics can tell you this.

The semantic distinction between "torque" and "moment (of force)" varies from field to field and, in my experience, is only used by people who don't have something more interesting to say (hmm....).

"Truth" is obtained through the scientific method, not some philosophical "logic" bullshit.  Hope this helps.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
PROPIONATE TO THE GUY WHO FOUND A VID OF VINCE SHOWING THE SCHMOES "FIRST A TEAR THEN TURN TO MY REAR" AKA "F.A.T.T.T.T.A.S.S-TWIST" AKA "VICODIN REFILL" (FOR THE SCHMOES AND/OR JUNKS) "IN-VINCE-ABLE G4P MOVES 101"....AKA VINCE MMA MOVE "THE LOOSER". VINCE GOES BY THE NAME "HALF-REP-RAPIST"
MIRAGETROPIN

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

So a benchshirt is like an extra tendon. Got it, thanks buddy!!!

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
 It does help for thicker traps, moron.

Bench press = works the traps thus makes it thicker. Duh!!!! :P

Pec Deck flyes and pullovers = do not work the traps hence = does not make them thicker.

I do not know how I can make this any simpler for youyr retarded middle school P.E teacher brain to understand.

I never said the bench press directly works the traps, you dumb fucktard; I said it works the traps too. But apparently, seventh grade reading comprehension is beyond you.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The only "dumb fucktard" here is you.