Author Topic: Im watching "The Shining" right now  (Read 18357 times)

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
Re: Im watching "The Shining" right now
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
Yeah. King wanted the spirit of the place destroyed by fire. Kubrick by cold. One of more than a few things that differed between the book and flick. King's on record noting his dissatisfaction(s) with the movie. Love the book. Love the movie. 

I'm surprised that King was dissatisfied with the movie.  Tons of his books have been made into movies, the vast majority of which strayed very far from what was portrayed in the book.  He never seemed to really care, as the money was great and the occasional cameo.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
Should i watch this film, Dr. Chimps?  ??? ???
Fark yes! It's kinda like Stairway to Heaven, tho - ie. it's now larded with so much cultural baggage and it's language has entered our our vocabulary, so sometimes it's hard to see where one ends and the other begins. The scene with the twins just standing there still creeps me out.  

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
Most King movies pale by comparison to the book.

The Shining is great, and as Chimps said,that twins scene and the old lady in the tub scene are fucking creepy as hell.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »
King's on record noting his dissatisfaction(s) with the movie. Love the book. Love the movie. 

Shows what King knows about movies.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
Greatest Director of all time.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
Shows what King knows about movies.

King is an extreme talent, but he just doesn't have the brain capacity to fully understand Kubrick.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
King is an extreme talent, but he just doesn't have the brain capacity to fully understand Kubrick.

TAS, this Liverpudlian dude (youtube name robag88)does some interesting analysis of Kubrick's movies, check out his page.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »
king "hated" the movie because it was different than his book and surpassed his book

kubrick took king's idea and made it much better

there is no other logical explanation for an obvious horror fan to "hate" that movie

E
E

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
king "hated" the movie because it was different than his book and surpassed his book

kubrick took king's idea and made it much better

E

I dont beleive he did. I like Kubricks movies but the movie doesnt explain the blowjob scene and many other things. It skips out on the history of the hotel that wouldve added more depth to the movie and it missed what could have been an awesome scene where Jack checks out the kiddie park and has a sense that the pruned bushes made to look like lions and shit are getting closer and closer to getting him. That part was a great read. The black guy isnt supposed to die, at least thats not what I remember in the book and at some point hes supposed to contemplate killing the boy and his mom. Its been a long while since Ive read it, but I found it way more fun and frightening.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
I dont beleive he did. I like Kubricks movies but the movie doesnt explain the blowjob scene and many other things. It skips out on the history of the hotel that wouldve added more depth to the movie and it missed what could have been an awesome scene where Jack checks out the kiddie park and has a sense that the pruned bushes made to look like lions and shit are getting closer and closer to getting him. That part was a great read. The black guy isnt supposed to die, at least thats not what I remember in the book and at some point hes supposed to contemplate killing the boy and his mom. Its been a long while since Ive read the book, but I found it way more fun and frightening.

Both the book and the movie are brilliant in their own right.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
Both the book and the movie are brilliant in there own right.

Sure.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
As for film interpretation, anyone read about the Native American angle?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
I never understood this pic from the Shining. After Jack dies in the maze, the movie shows a far away shot of a group of framed pictures hanging on the wall. Then it slowly zooms into the pictures, and it shows Jack at the center of the ball room in a crowd in the 100's. The date is then shown as 1921, when present day is in the 70's I think. Does the pic mean he was always there?

I never got that part either..it was frustrating

Purge_WTF

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
  One of my all-time favorites. It was playing at Coolidge Corner in Boston a few months ago, but it was sold out. >:(

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 03:09:09 AM »
Delbert Grady rules...

Growth Hormone "Triple-H" forehead..

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
Delbert Grady rules...

"I corrected them."

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
"I corrected them."

he seemed like such a nice guy until that bathroom scene

E
E

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Grady was the best part of the movie.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »
"I corrected them."

in the initial job interview; Jack Torrence was told that in the winter of 1970 that a caretaker killed his family with an axe. That caretaker's name was Charles Grady

Why is he called Delbert Grady later in the movie??

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
In 1979, Ullman hired a man named Charles Delbert Grady to be the Overlook's winter caretaker. Along with his wife and two daughters, Grady spent the winter months in the hotel running the boilers and doing maintenance in the exile imposed by the closed roads to Sidewinder. While no one is quite sure to this day what exactly happened, many believe the solitude drove him mad and he ended up killing his wife and two daughters. He left their bodies posed idyllically in Room 237 before eventually turning his rifle on himself. When the Overlook's staff returned to open the hotel for the season, they discovered the bodies of Grady and his murdered family posed in Room 237.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
Racist post reported:

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
"I corrected them."

Delbert is a man's man...too bad we can't "correct" our wives anymore ;)

theEsquire

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »
Or awesome blowjobs  ;D

I watched the movie in it's entirety recently on DVD. This scene makes no sense to me and, unfortunately, there hasn't really been any commentary on it.  Apparently, one of the guests who died in the hotel was a furry???

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »
I watched the movie in it's entirety recently on DVD. This scene makes no sense to me and, unfortunately, there hasn't really been any commentary on it.  Apparently, one of the guests who died in the hotel was a furry???

One of the weirdest scenes in history

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »

I think this scene is taken from the book. It works for me because it's just bizarre and creepy.