Author Topic: Barbell Hack squats  (Read 9594 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Barbell Hack squats
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:03:41 AM »
Yesterday i did a Tri-set for legs. Barbell squats,Hack squats(Barbell),Front squats. To finish off the legs i did stiff legged Deads and one legged calve raises(bodyweight). I could hardly sit on the toilet today ;D. The squats(all 3 variations were hit for 15 to 20 reps. Barbell Hacks are another tip of the month...this is a fast forgotten Ex...Bertil Fox loved them in his prime.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Barbell Hack squats
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »
i used to do barbell hack squats when i was a teen in my room,,,, used to pump the fuck out of my quads, u get similar feeling doing trap bar deadlifts if you postion your legs propperly

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
BB Hacks have been one of my favorite exercises for years. I consider it a form of a reverse DL. Putting the heels on a 2X4,or BB plates, extends more focus on the quads themselves. Standing on a small platform/boxes allows you to go lower than the 45's allow, the regular way. Will get a very good, extra stretch that way. And for you pump hero's, a exceptional pump, even with the regular version.

Can work up to some very heavy weight in the BB Hack squat. And unlike the DL, the knees never get in the way of allowing full benefit of this exercise. Hacks also affects the traps and back strongly. Seen a few approach 800 in this lift.

I have  included Romanian DL's, GoodMornings or SLDL's with this exercise. Counter balancing the lower back and hams with the quads. Good Luck.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
dis ;D
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
JPM, what kind of a carryover have you seen from doing bb hack squats to regular deads?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
dis ;D
now THATS a hack squat, lets see any of the current day "pros" load 9 plates on each side of that thing.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »
Yev33: BB Hacks will tend to hit the quads better (producing more muscle/strength gains) than the DL, because the bar is held behind the back and in a better straight line of travel, giving more input from the legs. With the BB Hack, the lower position should be in a deeper squat position (BB'ing style). DL's will call upon the lower back more for assistance, because of the slight forward lean of the lifter.

The carryover would be better quad development (meaning the teardrop affect strongly..suggest that 2X4 again) as well as trap/back development. With a BB'ing rep range of 9-12 . Focus on power, 3 to 5 rep range. Focus on power BB'ing 6-9 rep range. Not all rep ranges are equal in what they may produce in each individual, so a little bit of experimenting may be needed at first.

Actually the DL (like the BB Hack) is a thigh/lower body push off...not pulling with the arms which just hold the bar in a stable position..which can highlight the benefit of only holding a heavy weight. Reason why doing short range DL's (or Hacks), from the top position, say 3 to 4 inches, with 80-100 lbs about your normal DL weight may be a good idea. The top position is the strongest position, and most men may not understand how strong they really are. This even works well when holding just below lockout on heavy benches, squats and overhead presses. Affect the whole range of muscle, ligaments and tendons involved in any lift. A complete chain of developed power.  Good Luck.
F