Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 84857 times)

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
Re: Netflix
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »
I figued out netflix corporate strategy.

1 get large number of users by giving away cheap str8 to vid movies mixed with slowly lowering real movie content
2 once huge subscription base, like cable, charge MORE for new and or good stuff like cable charges for fights and NFL packages

totally obvious now that I see it

and explains why I have to search though 20 1 star "str8 to vid" movies to find one smei watchable pos

wow

funny how its always a slow pain injection and slowly reduced good stuff while they keep u pay ing

my prediiction is 10k a month net in future

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
they should charge $30 a month and have every good movie & series.  Would totally be worth it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
they should charge $30 a month and have every good movie & series.  Would totally be worth it.

What they can have, when, and for how long is dictated by the movie studios.  When you think of what it costs to go to the movies these days, Netflix is still a great value at their current rates.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
first u paid for nothing

now u pay for TV

now you pay for movies on the net

now u pay again for NFL on TV you already payfor

my prediction is future is 10k a month net

billgates

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 02:48:53 AM »
i love them

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47:17 AM »
Bay seemed to call this one.

I don't see it as worth the 189 dollars a share it is, but it keeps climbing.

I wonder if it's institutional investors or what, but it hasn't shown much slowdown since we talked about it months ago.

Good call Bay.

Netflix is now at $449/share!  8)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2014, 06:11:58 AM »
Netflix hits Hollywood with roundhouse kick to solar plexus
by Charles Cooper

Netflix has nabbed a deal with The Weinstein Co. to stream the sequel to Ang Lee's Academy Award-winning martial arts drama, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" on the same day that it will appear in IMAX theaters next year.

The film, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend," is set to debut on August 28, 2015. Lee is not involved in the project, which will be directed by martial arts choreographer Yuen Wo-Ping. It stars Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen.

It also marks the first fruit of work carried out by the company's chief content officer, Ted Sarandos to nail this sort of deal where Netflix gets to participate in hosting films that premiere on the same day as they appear in IMAX theaters. In statements released with the announcement, the companies said this would be the first of several such projects.

"Fans will have unprecedented choice in how they enjoy an amazing and memorable film that combines intense action and incredible beauty," said Sarandos. TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein added that "the moviegoing experience is evolving quickly and profoundly" adding that "Netflix is unquestionably at the forefront of that movement."

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
Netflix is now at $449/share!  8)

It is... I still don't see its value. There are numerous things that do what they do.

I hope you bought tons of it.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »
With Icahn move, Netflix is now officially in play
The streaming-video company's shares jump 15 percent on news that Carl Icahn has taken a significant stake in Netflix. The financier and former corporate raider once was a major shareholder in Blockbuster.

I bought 200 shares at $79 after I heard Icahn was in. I sold 100 north of $300 and started keeping a put on it at that level, but I've made roughly $60k here in less than 2 years. I've been riding Icahn's jock on too many investments to count for a good decade, and I've made millions as he's made tens of billions. I guess it's a good thing I realize that he's richer than me and all other getbiggers combined because he's smarter than we are. If he personally doesn't know something about a company, industry, or product line, chances are he's paying someone who does.

Anyone here who's serious about making money should watch what the activist investors like Icahn and Peltz do, then do a little due diligence and consider following them in with at least a few bucks - then probably getting out when the news hits that they've either done what they set out to do, or bailed out because they couldn't for whatever reason.

They're richer than we are because they're smarter than we are.
A

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
Neflix's selection sucks.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »
Neflix's selection sucks.

That's why I don't get it.

Apparently everyone else does though.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
That's why I don't get it.

Apparently everyone else does though.

Not anymore. They lost access to thousands of films a few years back, but now they're back and got pretty much everything you'd ever want.

I'm currently going through their documentary library; I've seen dozens of fantastic films lately I'd never even heard of. Anyone got any good documentary recommendations?

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 05:05:11 AM »
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:44 AM »
I bought 200 shares at $79 after I heard Icahn was in. I sold 100 north of $300 and started keeping a put on it at that level, but I've made roughly $60k here in less than 2 years. I've been riding Icahn's jock on too many investments to count for a good decade, and I've made millions as he's made tens of billions. I guess it's a good thing I realize that he's richer than me and all other getbiggers combined because he's smarter than we are. If he personally doesn't know something about a company, industry, or product line, chances are he's paying someone who does.

Anyone here who's serious about making money should watch what the activist investors like Icahn and Peltz do, then do a little due diligence and consider following them in with at least a few bucks - then probably getting out when the news hits that they've either done what they set out to do, or bailed out because they couldn't for whatever reason.

They're richer than we are because they're smarter than we are.

Like I said, I worked for them for over ten years and made six figures when I dumped all my Employee Stock Purchase shares about two years ago. I got a nice, quiet apartment, a Mustang convertible, and I took a nice trip to Glacier Park a month ago.

God, Netflix and life are all good.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »
Bro, why don't you do a thread where you trade fictitious account? Start out with $100K and post every position you take, trade you make, etc. Would be interesting to watch.

I've posted up my portfolios here recently on numerous occasions, although I do tweak and change things a little here and there.

I also give little tips on smaller trades here and there - most recently tekmira when it was far lower than it now is.

I've also been mentioning short in Sears Holdings (probably soon to be liquidating, most likely in low double digits or less) and a big put in Herbalife for months, and they've gotten hammered.

Not to be taken as actual financial advice - just for educational purposes.  ;)

Market's getting hammered today.  :-\
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Thanks, MP, looks interesting.

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
The guy goes extreme on an all-juicing kick to restore his health.

While I believe juicing (no pun) is beneficial, there's no way you can survive on just juice forever.

However, clearly there is a problem with all the garbage food people eat these days.

The movie is good motivation to cut out all the garbage.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »
Theaters, under threat, slam Netflix, Weinstein plan for ‘Crouching Tiger’
By Cecilia Kang

Netflix’s announcement that it will release the sequel to “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” along with select Imax theaters drew strong criticism from theater giants Regal Cinemas and AMC Theatres on Tuesday, as the plan potentially disrupts a business model built on giving theater-goers first dibs on big-picture productions.

In a statement responding to the announcement by Netflix and the Weinstein Company, Regal Cinemas said it will “not participate in an experiment where you can see the same product on screens varying from three stories tall to 3 inches wide on a smartphone.”

“We believe the choice for truly enjoying a magnificent movie is clear,” Russ Nunley, spokesman for Regal Cinemas said. Regal operates 7,341 screens in 573 theaters in the United States.

AMC Theatres, the largest operator of theaters with Imax equipment, said they also won’t participate in Netflix’s and Weinstein Company’s plans.

“AMC Theatres and Wanda Cinema are the largest operators of Imax-equipped auditoriums in the world,” said Frank Ybarra, spokesman for AMC Theatres, which licenses the Imax equipment in 147 theaters. “Only AMC and Wanda decide what programming plays in our respective theaters. No one has approached us to license this made-for-video sequel in the U.S. or China, so one must assume the screens Imax committed are in science centers and aquariums.”

At the heart of the theater companies’ response is the growing fear in some parts of the entertainment industry that the television experience is increasingly merging with moviegoing. Box office sales have been stagnant or falling for years; this summer was also a disappointment. The soft ticket sales are due to a number of factors, including better television technology in homes, shifts in tastes for movies and better alternatives online. Theaters have tried to lure moviegoers with plush reclining chairs, reserved seating and gourmet concession stands.

Meanwhile, television — on cable, broadcast and online — is thriving, with advertising revenues and new subscriptions increasing. Netflix, which has expanded most quickly onto the turf of television networks, has said it has ambitious plans to tackle more forms of original content.

“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend,” directed by Yuen Wo-Ping, who choreographed “The Matrix” triology and “Kill Bill” 1 and 2, will again star Michelle Yeoh as Yu Shu-Lien. The Weinstein Company will produce the movie, which will be released simultaneously to Netflix subscribers and in select Imax theaters.

“The moviegoing experience is evolving quickly and profoundly, and Netflix is unquestionably at the forefront of that movement,” Weinstein Company co-chairman Harvey Weinstein said. “We are tremendously excited to be continuing our great relationship with Netflix and bringing to fans all over the world the latest chapter in this amazing and intriguing story.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »
Netflix signs Adam Sandler to four-film deal
By Cecilia Kang

Netflix announced Thursday it will bring four movies by comedian Adam Sandler exclusively to its subscribers, the latest push by the online video service into the terrain of Hollywood movie studios.

Netflix didn’t disclose financial terms of the deal or timing of the movies’ releases. The company’s head of content, Ted Sarandos, said it approached Sandler to create the feature-length films because the actor’s movies were consistently among the top watched films for Netflix’s 50 million global users.

“People love Adam’s films on Netflix and often watch them again and again. His appeal spans across viewers of all ages — everybody has a favorite movie, everyone has a favorite line — not just in the U.S. but all over the world,” Sarandos said in a release.

The comedian, known for his raunchy, fraternity-like humor, said: “When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only….Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks.”

“Let the streaming begin!!!!,” he said in the release.

Though Sandler’s films have been popular for Netflix’s users, the actor and movie producer hasn’t had  breakout hit in years.

Sandler began his career on television’s “Saturday Night Live” before launching a prolific movie career. In recent years, his movies “That’s My Boy” and “Jack and Jill” were panned by critics and did poorly in movie ticket sales.

But the 48-year-old actor and producer has one of the deepest catalogs of movies. His movies have reached about $3 billion in box office sales and according to Nash Information Services, a movie data company, Sandler ranks 68 for top-grossing actors.

Netflix’s deal with Sandler comes days after it announced plans to exclusively distribute on Netflix and some Imax theaters a sequel to “Crouching Tiger” with producer The Weinstein Company. The announcement angered theater firms AMC Theatres and Regal, who have been hit by competition in home movie viewing and rely their ability to run movies first in their theaters.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:20 PM »
It boggles my mind at how much Netflix stock is worth. Like many people have said already, the selection is average at best.

So they get dibs on Crouching Tiger? Who cares.

They sign Sandler to a 4 film deal? Who cares. I always thought that he was wildy overrated.

I would advise people who still own Netfix stock to sell now. This is as good as it is gonna get.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
It boggles my mind at how much Netflix stock is worth. Like many people have said already, the selection is average at best.

They sign Sandler to a 4 film deal? Who cares. I always thought that he was wildy overrated.

I would advise people who still own Netfix stock to sell now. This is as good as it is gonna get.

Search for a film you can't find and report back. Pretty sure they regained access to their old catalogue, which offers just about anything you can think of.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2014, 03:53:52 AM »

Is there another streaming service you are using with a bigger/better selection that comes at a lower cost?  If, so please tell us what that service is?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2014, 04:43:56 AM »
Is there another streaming service you are using with a bigger/better selection that comes at a lower cost?  If, so please tell us what that service is?
Lol, you win. I dont have Netflix or any other service.

But I remember looking thru the selection when my brother had it.

The movie selection was terrible. Maybe it is better for tv shows and documentaries.

My Comcast on demand carries tv shows and specials as well.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2014, 05:16:09 AM »
Lol, you win. I dont have Netflix or any other service.

But I remember looking thru the selection when my brother had it.

The movie selection was terrible. Maybe it is better for tv shows and documentaries.

My Comcast on demand carries tv shows and specials as well.

How much is your cable bill per month?   'nuff said.  :-X

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2014, 05:22:33 AM »
How much is your cable bill per month?   'nuff said.  :-X

You don't have a cable bill?

I use my appletv for Hulu, but still have a cable bill.

Wouldn't want to go without my 80Mb fios. (75 really, but tests are always over 80)