Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 84853 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Netflix
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2014, 04:05:51 AM »
haha my parents offered to let me use their directv account. don't even care, i follow SO little actual television i literally do not need the access.

$200/mo just so i can watch a small handful of shows and events that i could get for a fraction of it online. no thanks.

x2.  My buddy's cable bill is more than the payment on my first car back in the late 1980's.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-17/billionaire-investor-mark-cuban-says-he-s-buying-netflix-shares.html

I still own some, but I don't think I'm going to buy this stock on this dip like I might normally do with a company that actually makes a substantial profit. I trimmed some of this in the last couple weeks - sold off half early last week when all of this volatility started up.

Still have a put here also.
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
I have no memory of that.  Perhaps you are confusing the DVD catalog with the streaming catalog; the latter has gone through some ups and downs.  If you are certain it was the DVD catalog it should be easy for you to find several stories about it online.  Link?

I've been going through lots of their documentaries lately. Any interesting recommendations?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

And keeping it bodybuilding-related, they don't have The Terminator! (only on DVD)

Yeah but they have Pumping Iron.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
I told you about the opportunity of Netlflix in January of 2012 but many of you did not want to listen.  I trust you have learned your lesson.  ::)  Now, I am telling you about a few more plays. Place your bets and lets revisit their performance a year from now.  The January Effect alone should make them look good come February, but the test will be how they look one year from today.  They are:

HRTG, CHNR, & VA.  I bought VA the day it went public on November 14.  Kramer immediately gave it a thumbs down, http://www.cnbc.com/id/102186368#.
but it is up more than 44% since then.  If you really have a tolerance for risk I'll add the following plays.  

ATTBF, ABAT, & CBAK.  I own a small position in each.  Amounts I can easily lose and ignore... but if they pop... Bay likey!  8)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2015, 09:19:58 PM »
anything good coming out on netflix this month?  

it's Juuuuust good enough to keep.   not incredible though.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2015, 03:39:13 AM »

It does not have to be "incredible"; it just has to be better than any alternative.  And it is.  If you do not like it, you are welcome try Blockbuster.  Oh wait, nevermind.  The stock is currently trading at $348/share. 8)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-january-2015-1
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »
People can bitch and moan about netflix, however it is well worth its money. The amount of movies I watch, it definitely pays for itself. I also have amazon prime, which has less movies, but better quality movies than netflix.
X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
Marco Polo season 1 is decent.

It's no House of Cards, but it's still good.

Snowpiercer is a very good movie that still costs $$ to rent elsewhere, but is on Netflix.
Y

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
Marco Polo season 1 is decent.

It's no House of Cards, but it's still good.

Snowpiercer is a very good movie that still costs $$ to rent elsewhere, but is on Netflix.
gonna watch the marco polo show it looks pretty good.

they have a decent show/documentary on the american mob now

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »
I told you about the opportunity of Netlflix in January of 2012 but many of you did not want to listen.  I trust you have learned your lesson.  ::)  Now, I am telling you about a few more plays. Place your bets and lets revisit their performance a year from now.  The January Effect alone should make them look good come February, but the test will be how they look one year from today.  They are:

HRTG, CHNR, & VA.  I bought VA the day it went public on November 14.  Kramer immediately gave it a thumbs down, http://www.cnbc.com/id/102186368#.
but it is up more than 44% since then.  If you really have a tolerance for risk I'll add the following plays.  

ATTBF, ABAT, & CBAK.  I own a small position in each.  Amounts I can easily lose and ignore... but if they pop... Bay likey!  8)

Huge losses on Monday.  Bah!

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
Another Monday... Another day of huge losses!  You are losing your touch!  Bah!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
Did you notice?  Netflix is up 17.34% today.  ;D

Netflix shares soar as it details strategy for world domination
By Lucas ShawBloomberg News  January 21, 2015

Netflix Inc.’s $9.5 billion drive to dominate video streaming worldwide is paying off.

Investors sent its shares surging as much as 20 percent in early trading after Netflix said yesterday that it will profitably reach all 200 of the countries that have broadband Internet service within two years. The company’s stock had closed at $348.80 on Jan. 20, bringing its gain for the year to 2.1 percent.

“We then intend to generate material global profits from 2017 onwards,” Chief Executive Officer Reed Hastings and his finance chief, David Wells, said on the company’s website.

The outlook reassured investors who have expressed concerns about the company’s narrow margins, widening international losses and a budget for films and TV shows that’s swollen to $9.5 billion from $7.3 billion in the past year.

International subscriber growth outstripped gains in the US for the third straight quarter, as Hastings raced to plant his flag before other would-be competitors. Users outside the US expanded by a record 2.43 million in the fourth quarter, reaching 18.3 million.

Netflix expects to add another 2.25 million international customers this quarter. It already has more than 5 million users in Latin America, the most detailed number Netflix has given regarding international subscribers.

The company didn’t say which countries are up next after Australia and New Zealand, where the streaming service debuts in March. Unexplored territories with fast Internet service include China, Japan, Spain, and South Korea.

“Every country but North Korea,” Hastings said in an interview. “Under US law, we’re still blocked there.”

Licensing issues may inhibit Netflix’s expansion into China, he said. The company is exploring its options, and any investment will be modest.

Fourth-quarter revenue rose 26 percent to $1.48 billion, compared with analysts’ predictions of $1.49 billion. Net income almost doubled to $83.4 million, or $1.35 a share, aided by a tax benefit, Netflix said on its website.

Domestically, the company added 1.9 million new customers to reach 39.1 million, compared with the 1.85 million predicted. That brought the worldwide total to 57.4 million.

This quarter, Netflix forecasts 1.8 million new US customers. Profit will be $37 million, or 60 cents a share.

As Netflix expands into new markets, it will be offering more original programming than ever. The company plans 320 hours of original series, new and returning, films, documentaries, and stand-up comedy specials this year. That’s triple what was offered in 2014, the statement said.

Those programs including holdovers such as “House of Cards” and new shows like Tina Fey’s “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.”

Netflix’s deal for the Batman-inspired TV show “Gotham” tested the cost of global rights to premium content, Hastings said. The company acquired worldwide rights to the show in its second window, after it leaves the air, and paid $1.75 million an episode in the US, according to Deadline.com.

The company faces competition for new television shows and creative talent from broadcast networks and cable channels, as well as newer players like Amazon.com Inc., Hulu, and Yahoo Inc. Amazon just won two Golden Globes for its show “Transparent,” and signed a deal with filmmaker Woody Allen.

Hastings compared his company’s growing rivalry with Amazon to the competition between Time Warner Inc.’s HBO and CBS Corp.’s Showtime. Netflix is HBO, in his estimation.

“When Showtime has a hot hand it increases their subscribers, but it doesn’t decrease HBO’s,” Hastings said.

Both Wells and Hastings said the average subscription price would continue to rise, and that prices don’t have to be the same in all new markets.

To support its programming efforts, Netflix plans to borrow at least $1 billion. The company’s has committed to spending $9.5 billion on programming.

“They are acknowledging reality and the right thing to do, which is lock in the money while it’s cheap and sprint as quickly as they can to build scale internationally,” Barton Crockett, an analyst with FBR Capital Markets, said in an interview. “It’s generally a good time to borrow.”

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
Besides Netflix, Apple and Amazon also had big days on earnings in the last week or so as well.

I'm also starting to see some nice rebounding in most of my favorite energy names. After taking quite a bit off the table on these in early Oct, I've been buying back into most of them more lately - Continental Resources, Pioneer Nat Resources, Diamondback, EOG, Nabors, Slumber J, etc.

Biotech is often a big money maker. I mainly use both puts and calls to make money on either side on most of these. A few like Gilead are more solid fundamentally and a good longterm investment, but most have poor fundamentals and tend to stay down for periods, then jump up or down violently here and there on drug trials or decisions or M&A.

I bought some Intercept Pharma at around $170 not long ago after it sold off hard. I took half of that off the table yesterday @ a good 20%+ profit when it jumped back up well over $200 on a drug approval. Other biotechs like Medivation, La Jolla, Isis, and Tekmira have been doing well recently also.

My pretty big purchase of Hologic late last year has been paying off - another ~ 20% gain there recently as well.

A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
Grabbed a pretty big position in Westlake Chemical today, along with smaller positions in Sasol and Lyondell Bassell. All 3 of these specialty chems have been hammered pretty good in the last 4-5 months and look like bargains to me right about now.

I hedged with a put against PPG, another good specialty chem that appears to be a little too hot these days IMO.

Some others I like recently are Dow Chemical, DuPont, and Manitowoc. A bit more also lately in old favorites that are somewhat resistant to economic risk such as Ross Stores, Popeyes, and Sonic.
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2015, 08:14:43 AM »
People can bitch and moan about netflix, however it is well worth its money. The amount of movies I watch, it definitely pays for itself. I also have amazon prime, which has less movies, but better quality movies than netflix.
Netflix sucks, because most of the good movies are disc only. This is a limitation set by the greedy studios tho. Amazon prime sucks more, but it is included with my prime membership so i used it. I bought a roku stick just for amazon and TWC TV app, but used my apple tv for everything else. Apple TV is so much better then roku.
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
Netflix sucks, because most of the good movies are disc only. This is a limitation set by the greedy studios tho. Amazon prime sucks more, but it is included with my prime membership so i used it. I bought a roku stick just for amazon and TWC TV app, but used my apple tv for everything else. Apple TV is so much better then roku.

Where else can you find obscure films, though? Queue the disc, big deal.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Where else can you find obscure films, though? Queue the disc, big deal.
not a big deal.
obscure films? i live in austin, bro. Austin is artsy as hell.  I can go to any number of local hipster shops and get discs cheap as fuck.
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »
not a big deal.
obscure films? i live in austin, bro. Austin is artsy as hell.  I can go to any number of local hipster shops and get discs cheap as fuck.

Ok, then. Problem solved. Nevermind.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
In this thread on December 31, I recommended the purchase of CBAK.  Had you purchased it on January 1 following my recommendation, you would now have a gain of 131.89%.  Just saying.  8)

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »
I sold just about all of what little Netflix I had left.

I started buying VLTC on the 2nd of April at around $2.30, have a couple thousand shares now with a cost basis around $3.80. Took some off Monday when it popped above $4, then bought some more Tues when it sold off some 15%. Sold some more yesterday when it popped up above $7. Bought more late yesterday when it sold off to around $6. They are a very likely takeover target - perhaps in double digits.

As long as we're bragging...  ;D

I did mention Westlake Chemical on Feb 2. I've made nearly 30% there. I also mentioned buying Intercept Pharma in early Jan in one of these threads - up nearly 80% there. Up 90% on Isis Pharma in about 10 months. 35% YTD on FANG, 30% on CLR, ~ 30% on Orbital I mentioned buying about 6 months ago. Well into triple digits on LaJolla in a few months, etc.

Also nice gains on others I've mentioned previously like Hologic, PXD, Ross Stores, and Sonic. Closed very profitable shorts on HLF and Sears recently. Still short IBM (up 15% or so in the last 6 months), JCP, WWE, etc.

Have recently gone long NXP Semiconductors when it sold off into the early 90s. Recently shorted Primerica and GM, grabbed a small short on GE yesterday towards the end of the day.

Lost a few bucks here and there buying a couple of speculative energy plays too early. I like to watch the Nasdaq gainers and losers each day and keep an eye on them. I'll sometimes short them lightly when they pop up a ridiculous % in a single day. I'll often cover / buy them lightly and perhaps hold once they've sold off pretty hard from the artificial high.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »
Double post?  ???
A

Carlton G. Long

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »
Rite Aid (RAD) is on the verge of an epic breakout, bitches.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
I also grabbed some Cyberark at around $60 recently.

And I doubled down recently in the low $20's on a buy of US Steel I made about 6 months ago at over $30. I had previously owned it for a while and sold it many years ago when it got up to near $200 back in '07 before the crash.

I've also been disappointed so far with the purchase of Hertz I made a while back in the mid 20's after they canned the CEO - I was hoping to see some sort of a breakup or auction there. But I may have to just wait on a slow turnaround.  :-\
A