Author Topic: Culter and high volume  (Read 7196 times)

cpluvcb

Culter and high volume
« on: October 16, 2005, 10:41:40 AM »
hey guys
I was wondering what do you guys think about jay cutler's traing style?? six exerise x 2-3 sets

would this be overtraining??  to most people using that kind of volume? 18-20 sets per bodypart going four days per week.

thanks

loler

Re: Culter and high volume
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:46:53 AM »
he is on roids

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
it works for me  :)

Although i use a sort of fusion.  I do 4 sets for some exercises like squat and bench.   I personally like the way these longer workouts make me feel.   I DO, however, believe that when volume is too high, you "Save yourself" for later sets.  I do easy exercises later in the workout, and try to go to failure on more or less everything. 

I think jay's training method is better when incorperated into your training, not followed to a T. 
:-)

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:03:39 AM »
beng on juice can make ur body handle more training i.e. training twice a day for intance, no normal natural athlete can train that much and not overtrain.

muscle
muscle

cpluvcb

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 06:00:47 PM »
nah, just once a day. four days a week. reading how volume traing is the best way to gain mass. i  do not reall like going an exerise for four sets. so seeing how jay does five or six exerises and ends up doing the same amount of sets.

I have another question, do you guys like gloves or straps  for most workouts ??

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 09:01:57 PM »
What do you guys recomend for bulking sets and cutting sets?
grundle has no sack,

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »
no such thing as overtraining just under recovered. How do you explain professional athletes training 8 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. There not all on gear.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

loler

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 11:10:15 AM »
no such thing as overtraining just under recovered. How do you explain professional athletes training 8 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. There not all on gear.

if they are professional, yes, they are on gear

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 01:25:49 PM »

maybe in open class bodybuilding yes. Or are you making a crazy statement saying all professional athletes are on gear ::)
Thaiboxing,Bjj

loler

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 01:31:30 PM »

maybe in open class bodybuilding yes. Or are you making a crazy statement saying all professional athletes are on gear ::)

taking olympic sports as an example (curling and fencing etc not counted), every competitor in, say, top 10 of any given sport is on gear
the "problem" is "worse" in sports like NFL, base/basketball etc

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 06:53:18 PM »
Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddel, Randy Coulture, Rich Franklin  top guys in MMA
i dont think there on gear, Arvloski maybe? Im sure most are juiced in Pride.  As for other sports i dont know cause i dont watch.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 08:19:38 PM »
it works for me  :)

I think jay's training method is better when incorperated into your training, not followed to a T. 
That's exactly right, like its been said a million times, everyones body is different and will react different to certain types of training, diet etc. I personally get more out of high volume training but each bodypart varies with the amount of sets.  For example, the only way I have had any success with my quads and back is extremally high volume, 20-24 sets for quads and around 18-20 for back.  Yeah that's a lot of sets but it has worked the best so far.  As for shoulders and chest I have found that 12-15 sets seems to work really well, and bi's and tries I will only do 8 or 9 sets.  For each set in every body part I never go below 6 reps and usually stick between 8-12; but for quads I will often go as high as 15-20 reps for some of my sets.

I would suggest to anyone trying to develop a solid training style to experiment with each bodypart.  Try higher and lower amounts of sets for each muscle group until you find the combination that works best for you

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 09:34:33 PM »
what do you suggest a good bulking set/rep would be?  Also what about a cutting set/rep would be?  Also whats your opinion on switching up your workouts, example barbell curls instead of dumbells?
grundle has no sack,

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »
what do you suggest a good bulking set/rep would be?  Also what about a cutting set/rep would be?  Also whats your opinion on switching up your workouts, example barbell curls instead of dumbells?
Experiment, don't get stuck in the mind set that if it worked for one person it will work for you, and always remember there is no set plan no routine of sets and reps that is magic.

As for switching your workouts, absolutely, change is good and necessary.  Changing the exercises performed, or just changing the order in which they are done are all usefull.  Sometimes you might find it helpfull to instead of doing lets say 3 exercises for 4 sets each, to do 2 for six sets each.  But it really doesn't matter how you change it up so as long as you do in order to keep your body from adapting.  Start paying noticing the guys in your gym who are consistant in their training, but they never change their routines.  Every gym I have been in has a few of these guys.  Every workout for every muscle group is the same every time, and so is their progress.  It becomes stagnate which is the last thing you want.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 08:43:19 PM »
i dont really change my routines upchange the routinesup much. as far as sets, do what you feel . sometime you can go 4sets then next go with three. so just do what u feel is right.