Author Topic: want a big upper chest?..just a tip  (Read 5884 times)

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
want a big upper chest?..just a tip
« on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:17 PM »
start working the clavicular head of the pec.  All the incline presses in the world are still horizontal flexion, stressing the mid to lower pec.  The upper pec, the clavicular head, has pretty much just one function-shoulder extension-which is a front raise, or a press with the elbows in tight to the body.  Granted, you'll get a lot more delt and tricep involvement but your upper chest will finally be really stressed and you'll have a shelf up there before too long.  Make sure to do your rotator cuff and upper back work though.

619Rules

Re: want a big upper chest?..just a tip
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:18:36 PM »
start working the clavicular head of the pec.  All the incline presses in the world are still horizontal flexion, stressing the mid to lower pec.  The upper pec, the clavicular head, has pretty much just one function-shoulder extension-which is a front raise, or a press with the elbows in tight to the body.  Granted, you'll get a lot more delt and tricep involvement but your upper chest will finally be really stressed and you'll have a shelf up there before too long.  Make sure to do your rotator cuff and upper back work though.

Incline presses are not horizontal flexion-b/c they are inclined. A flat bench is horizontal  flexion.

The pec does not have a "head", it has orgins along the clavical and then insertion points in the upper arm.

big flip

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:13:40 PM »

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 06:46:58 AM »
actually he's not. Joint motion is not dictated by the positioning of body, rather the motion of the joint, hence JOINT MOTION.  For example, flexion at the elbow is still flexion at the elbow no matter where your body is-IE: a bicep curl is still a curl even if you are upside down with your legs over your head as long as flexion at the elbow is still the primary joint motion.  Horizontal flexion, in the case of the press is horizontal flexion no matter where the rest of the body is as long as the arm moves horizontally across the body.
  And if there is no clavicular head of the pec, or clavicular pec attachment with muscle fibers functioning for shoulder flexion, then millions of people studying anatomy are being terribly misled.  But, I'll make sure to tell them the truth, now that I know.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:04:46 AM »
SV: Shouldn't we consider the angle on/of the stress/resistence factor, not just the involvemnt of the joint motion (motion..interesting term) alone and the direct & indirect influence of the supporting  muscle recuitment with regard to compound movements? Good Luck.

bronxbomber

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 10:13:48 AM »
interesting!

Slippedisc

• Getbig V
  • Geo said it was ok, so I must be right.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 04:49:40 PM »
let's ask jimmy, he's got an awesome chest
X Board. Integrity is what we do

Cali Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »
enough of the science of the chest...just do a bunch of different chest exercises,,do them with heavy weight,,eat tons of protein,,use supplements..and you will get bigger.Swedish Viking your probably some guy who is in his first year of med school and want to show off with the little knowledge u know.

Aido

• Getbig II
  • Lift, Eat, Rest, Grow, Repeat.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 04:07:34 AM »
Everybody knows that Vikings from Norway are far superior to Swedish Vikings.

And the angle of arm to body is clearly greater in the Incline Press that the Flat press.

This is what determines the "upper chest isolation".

Jeebus save me.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »
My lady friend fron Norway would agree 100%. But let's not get confused by Vikings and Norsemen, different cultures and dialects though both share Scandinavian blood lines. And of course, with her help, I know Norway will always be superior to Sweden.