Author Topic: Ribcage Expansion  (Read 4436 times)

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
Ribcage Expansion
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
I cracked open my old Gold's Gym training enyclopedia....its very refreshing, and its awesome to see all the old school guys in their prime.....Tom Platz, Ferrigno, Jusup Wilcosz(sp?), a very young Haney, and many others.  However, I saw an entire section dedicated to ribcage expansion.  Is this shit legit?  I did notice that the old school guys definately had a very different look from today's bloated pros.

The book also stated that this exercise should only be done when you are young, like late teens/early 20s.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Ribcage Expansion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
you can expand your rib cage (look at opera singers)... that's not what makes those pros look different from today's pros

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/ribcage_expansion_fact_or_fiction;jsessionid=B2512EC9F34C1CF7BF8E3B2580A9F7D2-mcd02.hydra

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
 ;D
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
Not a myth, absolutely true. And I thank Wooo for the information site he gives. Been suggesting this type of training for a very long time.

Basic theory: With rib box size  it is not the rib bone that grows,  it the cartilage between the ribs that stretches/expands. The exercise is best approached when that cartilage is still in a plastic state of flux, before it matures  and hardens. The mean average for most humans is around 24-26 years of age, when maturity sets in.  

Old school training: Lots of men, past and present, have average increases in chest size of 2 to 3 inches (usually within 3 to 4 weeks), with a exercise combo of breathing squats and the breathing straight arm pullover. They were taking full advantage of this very heavy style forced deep breathing training. As stated in the article Pullovers, themselves, do aid rib box growth, even in some older men. This combo also has given 10 to 15 lbs muscle gains. The metabolism becomes primed for gains.)

A favorite exercise of mine is the bent arm pullover & press. I consider it a prime upper body mass builder. (Art Jones was motivated to build his exceptional pullover machine, based of the better qualities of the pullover exercise..his Nautilus cam gear made it all that much the better). If wanting to experiment with the affects on increased chest/rib box/lat/triceps/delt size, that I may suggest the P&P. Some fine a BB harder on the wrist and elbows, while a pair of DB's release much on that tension during the movement This will depend on your personal choice, what feels the best. And Yes, you can work into some very heavy weight, after a while. Some of my best results with the pullover & press was when using it with GVT. Good Luck.

F

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Great stuff.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 02:10:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Great stuff.

If you try a routine be sure to measure and photograph before and then chart your workouts...