Author Topic: Bench is stuck and need help?  (Read 5620 times)

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
Bench is stuck and need help?
« on: October 17, 2005, 07:47:09 PM »
Who's got the key to breaking the bench plateau? I'm stuck at 405 on the bench for about four weeks now. I was adding 10 lbs. to my bench every two weeks with my workout routine, but now it's not working. Who can help?
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Bench is stuck and need help?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 07:49:11 PM »
u need to periodise your workouts
perhaps a 5x5 routine will work.
reply back if u want mroe detail
follow the arrows

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 07:53:10 PM »
5x5 with a set weight or add weight each set? How often?
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 07:58:29 PM »
Read this:

source: http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/show...php?t=134233013

"In my opinion, the best program for a wide range of athletes, from beginners to elite level athletes, women, men, anyone....

The 5X5:

Monday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (same weight)
Benching 5x5 (flat, close grip or regular)(same weight)
JS Rows 5x5 (same weight)
Accessory (low volume triceps and abs)

Wednesday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (reduced 15-20% from Monday) or Front Squats 5x5
Standing Military Press 5x5 (same weight)
Deadlifts 5x5 (same weight) (if you pull 2.5x bodyweight do 3x5)
Pull ups 5x5 (use weight if you need it)
Accessory (biceps and abs)

Friday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (working up each set)
Benching 5x5 (flat or incline)(same weight)
Rows 5x5 (same weight)
Accessory (low volume triceps and abs)

The idea is simple: pick a weight you can do for 5 sets of 5, and if you complete all the sets and reps, then next time bump the weight up 5 or 10 pounds.

Before beginning the program it is important to establish 1 rep maxes for the squat, bench press, military press, and deadlift, and 5 rep maxes for the squat, bench press, rows, military press, and deadlifts.

The first week, it is important to begin very conservatively and prepare to set new 5 rep maxes on about the 4th-6th week, rather than the 1st or 2nd week. It will take some time for your body to grow accustomed to training this way, and in the beginning you’re gonna be sore as hell.

If you get all the sets and reps, then you increase the weight (5-10lbs) for the next week, and if not, you keep the weight the same.

Try and set new 5 rep maxes on weeks 4-6 for beginners , and weeks 3-4 for veterans and then move to a 3x3 for 2x per week.

Run the 3x3 for 2-3 weeks, drop the squatting frequency to 2x per week (or even every 4-5 days if you need the additional recovery), and try setting records on the 4th or 5th workout. (Also, weight increase are the important thing here).

Then cycle down to 1 set of 3 for 2 or 3 workouts, and maybe even go for a max single at the end.

So basically what you get is a 4-6 week prep phase, followed by a 3-5 week peaking phase.

One point – during the initial phase where 5x5 is being used you MUST stick to the required volume and frequency. Back off the weight if you have to, but always get in all 5 sets of 5.
________________________ ________________________ __ _______________
Here's the original post by JS about it...

---5X5---
Monday: Squats, Benching, Rows
Weds: Squats, Military Presses, Deadlifts, Chins
Friday: Squats, Benching, Rows

Courtesy of bill starr bill starr, the greatest strength coach who ever lived, popularized this in the 70's with his great book, The Strongest Shall Survive, which was aimed at strength training for football. I believe he had essentually two different programs which both are 5 sets of 5. The first, which is more suitable for beginners, is to simply do 5 sets of 5 with similar weight jumps between each set so that your last set is your top weight. When you get all 5 on the last set, bump all your weights up 5 or 10lbs. Example for squat... 185 for 5, 225 for 5, 275 for 5, 315 for 5, 365 for 5. If you get 365 for 5, move all weights up. This is especially good for someone who is just learning a particular exercise like the squat, because the amount of practice with light but increasing weights is a good way to practice form.

For more advanced lifters, he advocated a warmup, then 5 sets of 5 with a set weight. For example, the same athlete used in the other example may do 135 for 5, 185 for 5, 225 for 3, 275 for 2, 315 for 1, then 350 for 5 sets of 5. When successfull with all 25 reps at 350lbs, bump the weight up the next workout by 5 or 10lbs.

This is not outdated, and is a good program for gaining strength. Many elite athletes still use it during at least part of the year. I in fact do 5 sets of 5 on squatting for 4 weeks as part of an 8 or 10 week training cycle. Personally, i do it 3 times a week, but most people will probably make better progress doing it 2 times per week, or even doing version 1 once a week, and version 2 once a week.

In any event i described a system in a post a while back that goes something like this:
Monday use the heaviest weight you can for all 5 sets (same weight each set)---- in other words when you get all 5 sets of 5 reps up the weight (most workouts you will get 3 or 4 sets of 5- and maybe your last one will be for 3 or 4 reps)

Wednesday use 10-20% less weight- in other words if you used 200lbs on monday use 160-180lbs on wednesday- actual amount depending on your recovery

Friday work up to a max set of 5-

In other words lets say that your best ever set of 5 is 215lbs and you used 200lbs on monday for 5 sets and 170lbs on wednesday. On friday your workout might be like this 95 for 5 135 for 5 175 for 5 200 for 5 then attempt 220 for your last set of 5.

This tends to work better as a long term program than doing the same thing 3 times a week. On exercises where you only do them once a week like deadlift you can just do the 5 sets of 5 like i described. On monday on exercises that you are only doing twice (rows) you could do both exercises like the monday workout or lighten one of them depending on your recovery ability. Be conservative with the weight when you start- that is important.

Also i have used this program VERY often with athletes and it IS result producing. However many of your gains will show up after you use it for 4-6 weeks and you switch to training a bit less frequently and lower the reps and volume. However this is one program i have had a LOT of success with. In fact i rarely if ever use it with athletes who are at the top of their weight class because it causes too much weight gain unless you severely restrict your food.
________________________ ________________________ __ ______________
Here's how to periodize and peak with the 5x5 program....

"i do squats only. however i also do alot of other pulling motions off the floor, and these also work the legs. as far as squats monday 5 sets of five with a set weight wendsday, 5 sets of five with a weight that is 10-15% less than monday friday, work up with sets of five, going for your best set of five heres an example of how we do this...

lets say a person has a previous best of 5 sets of five weight with 300lbs, and has done one set of five with 325lbs for this person i may start with mondays weight of 285lbs, wendsdays weight of 255lbs, and on friday work up to a set of five with 310lbs, however if this person never trained this way before i would be much more conservative, more on that later then make small jumps each week, maybe week 2 use 295, 260, and 320 for the three workouts, week three use maybe 305, 265, and 330...and so on.

however keep this in mind, if on monday you cannot do all five sets of five keep the weight the same the next week, and on friday if you fail on a weight you choose keep the weight the same the next week

now, heres a few more hints, if you are not use to this sort of training and know you are gonna be sore as hell the first couple weeks, simply start more conservatively with the weight. if you are use to this sort of training, you can be a bit more agrressive from the start.

also as the weeks go by, dont increase wensdays workout as much as the other two. also some people are able to handle a heavier wensday workout than others. i have had athletes who have reacted best if wensdays workout was only 5% less than mondays weight. i have seen others who needed 25% reduction, however the average seems to be 10-15%, maybe if your new to this training start with 25% reduction then next time try 10-15% reduction.

with people new to this program i usually use it for 6-7 weeks, because we start more conservatively and it takes longer to get the benefits. with people who have done it before i generally go with 4 weeks at a time and go with setting records on monday and friday of week 3, week 4 is to try even more weight if week 3 was succesful, if it wasnt, then try record weights again. after this routine is over, we drop the frequency to about two workouts a week or even a bit less , and drop volume usually to 3 sets of 3.

the first week, we use the same weight as on the last monday of the 5 sets of five workout. this helps with recuperation. then, as in before we add weight each workout, this time aiming to break records on the fourth or fifth 3 sets of 3 workout.

sometimes we cycle on down to 1 set of three for two or three workouts, other times we have an offloading week then start with the five sets of five again.

i proably left some things out, i always seem to. however, although there are other programs that i am sure are effective, i have used alot of leg training programs and this one i know works, i have used this routine on probably over 100 athletes with success all around. it is not unusual for an athlete to increase their leg strength 100lbs in the full squat in the first six months i work with them.

now i know of other people who have tried this program on my recomendation in the track and field world, and not have the success i have had. however they always make the same mistakes, either starting on week one with max weights and not taking a week or two or even three to work up to max weights, OR, they start in on the 3 sets of 3 with too heavy a weight... you have to adjust the volume. dont be in too much of a hurry.

be content to set records on week 3, not week 1. well thats about it, but if your patient and do it right, it will be effective."....wow that was a mouthful ok, that is what i was talking about, although in that post i didnt explain a couple of things that i would like to now.

as you see from reading that, were talking about 4-6 weeks basically of a prep phase, and 3-5 weeks of a peaking phase, so its not really an 8 week program all the time. every time i write this program out, its a bit different, thats because its not a set in stone thing, but an example of a training philosophy... and it can and is altered in the details for individuals. however, there is one important point concerning what can be altered and still get the desired effects.

during the initial phase where 5 sets of 5 are used, you must stick to the written workout frequency and volume. no matter what, do the required sets 3 times a week. if you feel like your really dieing, then cut the weight back. but in the initial portion, the volume and frequency shouldnt be messed with. now, when you go to the sets of 3, you need to begin with the weight specified, and go up each workout, and you should be fairly rested each workout.

that means that you MAY be able to squat 2 times a week at this point, however you may need to squat once every 4 or 5 days, depends on the individual. also, 3 sets of 3 is a good volume for the first week of this phase, but often people react better to 2 or even one top set per workout during the second, third, or 4th weeks of this phase. during this phase, its the opposite of the first phase, he weight increases are the important thing.

take enough rest between workouts and cut the workout volume enough to assure that you are recovered enough to raise the weight. hope this clarifies a bit. the 3 day a week program i wrote was an example of a basic 3 day a week program for a relative beginner. i meant it to be done without any other assistance work except maybe abs. of course, an advanced lifter would probably not do that workout exactly as written.

as far as the "peaking" part of the squat program, i usually use this with shot-putters and athletes like that, and dont neccessarily do it with a program like the 3 day a week program, although if you were doing that and wanted to "peak" a particular exercise, it would work.

basically, if you are not going to try to peak strength, you need to be more carefull when doing the 5 sets of 5 three days a weeek, and not get the weights up so heavy that you start to overtrain... a more gradual increase in weighs is called for, and you must use a little common sense and not push so hard you need rest... when trying to peak you just push and keep pushing on the last couple of weeks of the 5 by 5... you push right to the brink ov overtraining basically, then back the volume and frequency off with the sets of 3. "
follow the arrows

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 08:09:14 PM »
That is a bit of a change-up for me! I don't use "gear" and need recovering time. I do one body part a week with heavy weight. I go three weeks heavy, one week light, then back to three weeks heavy and so on. When I do squats, I do 3x3 and need at least three days for recovering time. The same with all the other body parts, sometimes I switch it up and do 5,4,3,2,1 with adding weight each set. Maybe I'll try doing bench twice a week. Thanks for the info!
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 08:47:33 PM »
no problem,
u dont have to follow the routine exactly as it is outlined (although it works very well, and most people have no recovery problems). Recovery isnt a problem witht his routine because none of the sets are taken to muscular failure.

What u could do is do the 5x5 once a week for bench, so what u will have to do is
#1 Figure out your 1 rm
#2 Your 5x5 max.

once that is done, u start your 5x5 routine with ur first week being pretty easy. Then u gradually put weight on the bar till u reach ur 5x5 max bench on the 4th week. Then it is after the 4th week that u start setting new 5x5 PR's for bench for another 2-3 weeks.

For example, if u figure your 5x5 max on bench is 315.
1st week = 250 x 5 x 5
2nd week= 270 x 5 x 5
3rd week=  300 x 5 x 5
4th week=  315 x 5 x 5
5th week=  320 x 5 x 5 (PR)
6th week=  325 x 5 x 5 (PR)
7th week=  335 x 5 x 5 (PR)
8th week= deload
9th week - 11th week = 3 x 3's (instead of 5 x 5)
10th week= 1rm attempt
11th week= deload
12th week= start all over again starting from 5x5 with your new maxes.
follow the arrows

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 08:53:21 PM »
I read in a Old School training mag, get some 3/8 chain 5 ft long.  Put one on each side of the bar.  I'd probably go down on the weight a bit..  Gets heavier as you go up...

jamie
grundle has no sack,

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 08:59:49 PM »
i broke a plateua of mine after i dropped sets of chest a lil, did more tri;s sets on chest day instead plus my normal tri's (with bi's) day.  my improved tri strength helped me go up some on bench, first time in a while.  although now i am stuck at a new plateau
Valhalla awaits.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 09:23:35 PM »
never encountered anyone benching 4 wheels a side who didn't know how to bust plateaus........
:-)

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 09:30:41 PM »
Sounds like a good routine haider, I will try the 5x5 on bench next time I do chest and start the program you gave me! Thanks!
Jamiex4200, I have heard about the chain thing and people have had great results from it. I don't think the gym I go to will allow the chains. If I had my own gym I would try it out though.
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

Aido

• Getbig II
  • Lift, Eat, Rest, Grow, Repeat.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 04:30:29 AM »
Just a bit of advice for you.  A small increase is still an increase, so make you increments a little smaller and in time you will build up to what you want.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »
do you max out on bench every chest routine? if so, i would stop doing that ASAP. do some internet searching on powerlifting and you will be amazed at how many "plateau" breaker workouts you find.

8)

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 07:31:52 PM »
I don't max when I do bench. I usually finish my workout with reps of 2 for my last set. Once every 2 months I will do 3 reps of 315 then jump to the weight I want to max on. That's how I got 405 a couple weeks ago. I'm going to try the 5x5 to see if there are any improvements. Tell you what though, when it's squat day, I do 3x3 adding weight each time and my squats are going up in weight like crazy. I add 10 to 20 pounds each week. Just wish my bench worked like that.
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 08:15:35 PM »
Don't know if your into BB'ing or PL'ing or how the rest of your bench training day goes but you might consider taking a week off of all training. Coming back to the bench, you might try doing 3X3's using your regular grip and 2X3's using a close grip (elbows in). Also try to improve the speed in each workout. Let's say that that workout day is on a monday. Tne next thursday (want to allow at least two days between chest work) do dips (weighted...3X5-7) and lying French presses (2X5-7). A lot of heavy bencher's will also add PBN's into their workouts for a couple of sets.

Another bench program is to begin power rack training using the standard 3 pin settings. You didn't say if your having trouble in the push off the chest, the middle position or the top lockout but using pin positions from a dead start on each phase and trying to work on your speed has help a lot of men. Even working on speed for higher reps (10-15) can help improve the regular bench.

These are just two suggestions, there are dozen's of methods to give a surge to improve and break a sticking point on the bench or any other exercise. Do a search with Dogpile, Google, etc if you wish. Good Luck.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 10:09:03 PM »
I've been doing the following bench routine for about two weeks. Try to add 5 lbs to your bench and 10 lbs to your dips every week. These workouts are BRUTAL if done correctly.

Monday/Saturday

Bench Press:

1 set of 10 (warm-up)
3 sets of 3 (heavy)
3 sets of 1 (heavy, but 10-20 lbs below your max)
3 sets of 3 (moderately heavy)
1 set of 20 (light)

Wednesday

Weighted Dips:

1 set of 10 (warm-up)
8 sets of 3 (heavy)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

wells31

• Getbig II
  • Well La-Di-Frickin Da!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 11:51:31 PM »
Well I did chest today and tried the 5x5 on flat and incline bench. I started at 315 and did 4 sets. On the fifth set I jumped up to 335 for 6 reps because the 315 felt light in all the other sets. Next week I'll start at 335 for 5x5 and see how that goes.
All Heart, Live 4 Pain!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 12:18:14 PM »
I remember being stuck on 405 too.  But my thing was I could do it with 315 and then add 25 and 2 10's, but if I tried it with 4 45's I would dump it.  This happened for quite awhile.  Not sure why I think it just pysched me out haveing to put 4 45's on each side.   This was way back in 1978 or so at the old Vic Tanny's gym in Hawthorne

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 12:27:06 PM »
I have never even seen anyone bench more then 255

That's funny.  I've seen countless people in military gyms, mostly bruthas, bench 405 during my career.  They never really did much else.  They would have these huge upper bodys and arms and never really spent anytime on triceps...a few curls maybe.  Most would BS for about 10 minutes in between sets and not work hard at all.  No forced reps either.  Most thought taking creatine was not natural.  That's where I learned the LBM (Lazy Black Man) method of training and it works really, really well.

ROBMESITER

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »
BENFUN7,,,WHAT ROCK R U LIVING UNDER? LOT'S OF DUDES BENCH MORE THAN 255! I'M NOT ONE OF THEM THOUGH! :(

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 04:29:52 PM »
That's funny.  I've seen countless people in military gyms, mostly bruthas, bench 405 during my career.  They never really did much else.  They would have these huge upper bodys and arms and never really spent anytime on triceps...a few curls maybe.  Most would BS for about 10 minutes in between sets and not work hard at all.  No forced reps either.  Most thought taking creatine was not natural.  That's where I learned the LBM (Lazy Black Man) method of training and it works really, really well.

hahaha, it's cause it circumvents overtraining!   ;D

(that's how i lifted when i played basketball in high school, cause for all i cared i was black  :P ::))
:-)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »
ever try tossing on just the little 1lb weights? just 2 lbs total added? hell 1/2 a lb is still half a pound more than you're pressing now..

might just be the mental push you need!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 07:28:28 PM »
Use a bench shirt like some other guys do

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 01:51:56 PM »
I remember being stuck on 405 too.  But my thing was I could do it with 315 and then add 25 and 2 10's, but if I tried it with 4 45's I would dump it.  This happened for quite awhile.  Not sure why I think it just pysched me out haveing to put 4 45's on each side.   This was way back in 1978 or so at the old Vic Tanny's gym in Hawthorne

interesting onlyme...
i might actually try mixing the wights see if that helps though im cool with my bench.. because i think obsession with bench can interfere with proper trainin..
actually over the years i've come to like dumbell pressing more... which in turn make my bench stronger... when i do barbells
choice is an illusion

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 10:02:03 PM »
MOst of this could be mental. I would say work on close grip bench and heavy barbell bent over rows.
h