Author Topic: Gloves and Straps?  (Read 11941 times)

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
Gloves and Straps?
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
Which do you guys use and why?  I currently don't use anything.  Thought about some straps for heavy stuff to help with grip.  Gloves seem like it might help prevent calluses and that is about it I think.  What say you...

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
Re: Gloves and Straps?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
I used sponges.
Boundary Breaker

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
 ;D

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
I use straps for back training.....they allow me to pull with my elbows.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
never used to bother with straps...but now my rows are a bit heavy i use them.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »
Was kind of my thought too... Going heavier and needing a little extra grip.  Figured some decent straps couldn't hurt.  Did you guys loose any grip strength when adding that into the mix?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »
Chalk. No gloves, no straps.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
Chalk. No gloves, no straps.

you hard girl...lol .  no as i wrote before i have small hands and gripping the bar now is hard on rows and deadlifts.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
gloves some times because my home gym gets very cold and its one excuse not to train removed
straps - never realy seen the point for everyday lifting unless muscle appearance and size are the criteria. As most upperbody weight exercises use the hands i might as well have the strength in them to handle the load intended for parts onward.
c

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
The average bar is jus under 1" diameter, no excuse to not be able to grip it.

But I've said it before, if "bodybuilding" is what you are concerned about then straps will help hold the bar in your hands, gloves will only protect from calluses.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »
i occasionally use gloves and use straps on my heavy pulling sets...

of course there are days when i don't use either... kinda do what i feel

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
Never gloves, but will use straps on heavier work to ensure that the grip doesn't give out before doing fair justice to some of the bigger exercises. If doing Power Rack heavy partial pulls, hacks or partial DL's, I want to get full benefit out of them. Even when using chalk, my grip will sweat at times. Good Luck.
F

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
Yeah I may get straps for some of the heavier lifts too.  They don't allow chalk in my gym.  Might get gloves too cause in winter my hands are so dry and cracking.  Might give a little protection when hands are beat up.   :)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 03:58:17 AM »
Yeah I may get straps for some of the heavier lifts too.  They don't allow chalk in my gym.  Might get gloves too cause in winter my hands are so dry and cracking.  Might give a little protection when hands are beat up.   :)

if you have hand issue definitely wear gloves... my hands are pretty calloused from years of lifting but on deadlifts and pull ups i consistently wear gloves and straps (straps for peak sets)... just getting old i guess  :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 05:55:11 AM »
for me itīs just the last couple of reps are hard to hold a heavy bell. I have found that with straps i can really push it out and work my back without my grip failing.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »
Imo, grip strength should increase with the rest of your bodys strength.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »
no gloves, def no straps. just chalk, wrist wraps for heavy presses

but i do love when guys use gloves on leg day and straps on bench/incline presses

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
IMO, grip strength should increase with the rest of your body's strength.
   but as i said before..i have small hands and i really do find it hard to hold the bar. Not every man has hands like a bear. I have had a lot of positive comments from women about my hands..they liked my "touch" :D.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
if you have hand issue definitely wear gloves... my hands are pretty calloused from years of lifting but on deadlifts and pull ups i consistently wear gloves and straps (straps for peak sets)... just getting old i guess  :)

Yeah I have no problem with the palm area, lots of callouses there.  I just get lots of cracking on the knuckles from the dry winter weather.  It is fine in the summer though.  I did learn not to use hand lotion for dryness then lift.  Everything slips out like a greased pig.  ha ha ha ha  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
Actually (for me any way) I find that the pulling/back muscle exercises out pace the grip strength. Reason why the use of training straps of heavier pulls & DL's on rack work. A few guy's still don't have the full concept of using straps. A good training friend was wearing his reversed for years. Now happier wearing them the correct way. With chins (added weight) I do use straps for 4 to 6 reps.

Agree with Airosol; gloves on leg day and straps for any bench work..uncool. Same for guy's wearing lifting belts, either too tight (trying for the "V" look I guess) or too loose during any workout, lower or upper body.  Worn correctly, lifting belts are meant for nothing much over 2-3 reps, because your breathing and blood supply will become affected.

Callouses usually mean putting  serious intent into training. If gloves help, than use them, by all means. You can get callouses from straps, mostly when they are worn loose. There are hooked lifting gloves/wrist straps on the market, if interested.  Suggest a product called Bag Balm, for any palm/hand problems after a workout. Some lifting friends get benefit from it, tend to heal quite well damaged hands. Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
I found once I ditched the straps my grip strength increased rapidly up to par. To each his own!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
I found once I ditched the straps my grip strength increased rapidly up to par. To each his own!

my grip is strong from competing as a powerlifters in my younger days... there are some lifts (like deads with an overhand instead of split grip) where straps are invaluable unless you intend to stay at 2 plates-ish...

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
I use overhand up to 4 plates, then alternate.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »
I can use the double overhand grip for deads and be able to hold on to 4 plates for one or two reps before my grip gives out, so then I have to go to a mixed grip or straps. For bb rows however, I find that at 275 my grip begins to give out, I can still hold on to it but at that point Im definetely concentrating more on the bar slipping out of my hands than on the rows themselves, and anything heavier than 275 I need straps.
I use straps very sparingly and do my best not use them at all.
Only use them on my primary movement for the workout and only on the heaviest sets, everything else is done without straps.
Like Chaos I found that once you stop relying on the straps your grip gets a lot stronger.
I don't know if I will ever be able to ditch them completely though.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »
I use overhand up to 4 plates, then alternate.

there you have it... i train at home so i don't use chalk (i could but my wife would kill me and the mess would make me crazy)... without dry hands, straps just take some of the complexity out of the lift...

but if you are comfortable and able to hold the weight then not using straps is likely better full overall development...