Author Topic: Anyone train without a set routine?  (Read 9789 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Anyone train without a set routine?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
The problem I have winging it is that it gives you license to slack off. If you don't have the reps and weight used for each set on a previous workout how can you compete against yourself?  It's like a runner who never times his runs. Is just going by perceived exertion enough?

I really do envy guys that go into a gym with no plan.  I guess I'm to rigid in my ways to do this. It does make sense from the point of sometimes your on top of her game and sometimes your not.  

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
I go to the gym with an idea as to what I am going to do for a certain bodypart.

Sometimes I stick with that plan.....on other occasions I abort that plan.....just depends on how the first set goes.....If I have a change of heart at the last minute....I will switch to a different exercise.

I never really worry about reps or sets.....rather concentrate on feeling the exercise.....I get distracted if I put too much focus on counting reps and sets.....If I have a great pump....then I have achieved my goal.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
I go to the gym with an idea as to what I am going to do for a certain bodypart.

Sometimes I stick with that plan.....on other occasions I abort that plan.....just depends on how the first set goes.....If I have a change of heart at the last minute....I will switch to a different exercise.

I never really worry about reps or sets.....rather concentrate on feeling the exercise.....I get distracted if I put too much focus on counting reps and sets.....If I have a great pump....then I have achieved my goal.
^THIS^

I map out what I`m going to do for the particular bodypart I`m gonna` train,but it`s subject to change.......I train by how I  feel.

I still do the same bodyparts each week on the same days, and do approximately the same number of sets for each bodypart..........only the exrercises change for the most part,or the order of the exercises.......I rotate them in and out weekly.

At times,if I`m feeling weaker or tired,I`ll train with moderate weight but take shorter rest periods between sets,this makes lighter poundages feel heavier than they actually are.......other times I`ll go heavier if I`m feeling good on that day.

I also like to incorporate lots of different intensity techniques at times..ie., drop-sets,rest pause,pre-exhaust super-sets,half reps and 1 +1/2 reps................usua lly though,I stick to straight sets.

Gotta` keep it interesting or I just get stale/bored sticking to a rigid routine.

I`m all about developing muscle and being lean, as opposed to always just increasing poundages,but I train as heavy as I can for the reps I`m shooting for,and I push hard all the time.

As far as keeping track of weights from the previous workout,I never have any problem remembering what I did on the previous week.

Whatever you do in the gym,just be intense.

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »
Usually I'll do 3-4 ex per bodypart, the first one I'll go heavy (for me) on and keep that consistent for a while, trying to progress and set PRs. The other exercises I'll do more random and move more quickly between sets etc. more of a pumping effect.

Stavios

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 09:45:25 AM »
Never have a routine
I just do whatever I feel like that particular day

for example, if my joints hurt more than usual, I'll do light work with machines and cable

if I feel great, I'll do heavy dumbell work

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
so do you guys use the mirror to gauge progress i guess? ??? i actually used to train this way for a little while as i said before, then again ive learned more since that time and am leaving the ego at the door(for the most part). it just seemed hard to remember what weight i did for everything the previous workout, but it does makes since reading this thread that you dont necessarily need to lift more weight each week.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2012, 10:03:11 AM »
so do you guys use the mirror to gauge progress i guess? ??? i actually used to train this way for a little while as i said before, then again ive learned more since that time and am leaving the ego at the door(for the most part). it just seemed hard to remember what weight i did for everything the previous workout, but it does makes since reading this thread that you dont necessarily need to lift more weight each week.
You can only lift more weight week after week for so long...........then you have to become inventive to make the workouts more intense and still be result producing.

If strength was endless,we`d all be benching 1000 pounds for reps.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »
yea true that haha. honestly id rather not log my workouts, it was fun just going in there and killing it. thing is i get too caught up in reading and how you hear you must lift more each week, increase reps etc. now say i go in one week lift x amount of weight for x amount of reps, but then next week i forgot what i lifted before and ended up doing less weight then the week before? thats my concern

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:47 AM »
yea true that haha. honestly id rather not log my workouts, it was fun just going in there and killing it. thing is i get too caught up in reading and how you hear you must lift more each week, increase reps etc. now say i go in one week lift x amount of weight for x amount of reps, but then next week i forgot what i lifted before and ended up doing less weight then the week before? thats my concern
If it feels heavy,it is heavy!!

You should train heavy for the amount of reps you are gunning for.

Say you take a weight that you think you can get 8 reps with,well getting that 8 reps should be a challenge,and you should always go for one or two more if possible......... while staying safe of course.

It`s bodybuilding bro,not powerlifting,and by no means am I saying that you should use the little pink dumbells.........just push your ass off going as heavy as you can for 5-12 reps.........just as a general guide of course.

You must have a general idea of how strong you are.....if you bench 200 for 5 reps,then 170 for around 8 is a good goal,or 225 for 2-3 reps.............again,just an example.

Logging workouts is OK,but after a while it matters not .

Cutlet767

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
the amount of cals guys of a certain size are assumed to need is vastly overstated.

you can eat like a bird, and if your taking enough drugs you'll grow, and grow lean.

You are stupid as hell if you truly believe this.

GH15 has even said multiple times how stupid you will be if you don't eat crazy food if you want to get big as shit (along with the drugs, of course).

You think you will sniff the kind of size the pros rock without eating some serious calories, you are a delusional pos. You won't even sniff a shredded 190lbs.. And no, I ain't talking eating Mcdonalds and KFC all day. That will just turn you into a fat piece of shit powerlifter i.e. overkill. Muscle and fat in abundance.

Stavios

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »
You are stupid as hell if you truly believe this.

GH15 has even said multiple times how stupid you will be if you don't eat crazy food if you want to get bag (along with the drugs, of course).

You think you will sniff the kind of size the pros rock without eating some serious calories, you are a delusional pos. You won't even sniff a shredded 190lbs.. And no, I ain't talking eating Mcdonalds and KFC all day. That will just turn you into a fat piece of shit powerlifter i.e. overkill. Muscle and fat in abundance.

Look at Buselmo's before and after pictures

nuff said

Cutlet767

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
Look at Buselmo's before and after pictures

nuff said

This is just bullshit plain and simple. He is obviously lying about how much he is taking in. As bodybuilders often do. See Max Charles.