Author Topic: Reg Park Presses  (Read 3813 times)

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
Reg Park Presses
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:24 AM »
Anyone do these? I added them recently, nice change from typical dumbell or barbell presses.

(Not me in the video.)

Video of Reg himself doing them -

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/267_reg_park_dumbell_presses

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Reg Park Presses
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »
OK..don't see the difference between the Reg Park presses and regular two hand DB presses. Guess it's how you look at it?  DB presses were a staple of many strong men in the past (from the floor). Good Luck.
F

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »
OK..don't see the difference between the Reg Park presses and regular two hand DB presses. Guess it's how you look at it?  DB presses were a staple of many strong men in the past (from the floor). Good Luck.

Yeah...Doug Hepburn et al did 'em then too.

I guess 'Reg Park Presses' (as I've seen em called recently on the net) is just, as you said, a "2 hand standing dumbell military".

Most people these days seem to do seated dumbell presses though so if it gets some new people into doing them that's a good thing. Especially since standing presses seem to be coming back into popularity with Wendler's 531, etc over the last few years...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
S-LOL: A lot of exercise go by different name, so I understand the confusion.

With the standing version, you should be using more weight than sitting. Another good delt exercise is See-saw's (alternate) presses, a very affected shoulder builder, which not too many do today.

Cleaning DB's from the floor gives  a whole new meaning to intense workouts. Guy's who may have trouble getting a pair of heavy DB's in position, for flat or incline presses, find that including set's of DB cleans (either standing or sitting) solves their problem. For some, cleaning the DB up is their weakest link in doing full service to the flat/incline press. Another benefit of DB cleans is improved forearm/biceps and traps. Good luck.
F

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
What an effort - Reg probably had to change thongs after these forklift enigma.
Will try those tomorrow.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
This is what I have seen as the difference between the standing db press and the Reg Park press.

In a standard standing db press you hold the db's with your palms facing forward ( thumbs facing your ears )

In a Reg Park press you hold the db's with a hammer curl grip (palms facing your ears).

It's just a difference in grip.

Right now Im doing regular standing db presses, next training cycle I was going to give the Reg Park presses a try.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
S-LOL: A lot of exercise go by different name, so I understand the confusion.

With the standing version, you should be using more weight than sitting. Another good delt exercise is See-saw's (alternate) presses, a very affected shoulder builder, which not too many do today.

Cleaning DB's from the floor gives  a whole new meaning to intense workouts. Guy's who may have trouble getting a pair of heavy DB's in position, for flat or incline presses, find that including set's of DB cleans (either standing or sitting) solves their problem. For some, cleaning the DB up is their weakest link in doing full service to the flat/incline press. Another benefit of DB cleans is improved forearm/biceps and traps. Good luck.

definitely not the case for me... seated and with a spot I use my stage 3 power blocks for the last set of seated dumbbell shoulder presses (they're like 120lbs each or something)...

standing i don't go over 100lbs... mainly do to the need to balance the weight...

it's funny because it's the opposite with a barbell where i can push press a shitload more than I can military press

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:35 PM »
What an effort - Reg probably had to change thongs after these forklift enigma.
Will try those tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes.

WOOO - I agree, standing is harder if it's strict, not push pressed. I can do 4-6 reps more the same weight seated.

I was searching and according to an interview in "Iron Master" Reg said his best was 120's for 5 and 140's for a single on these. In the same interview he said he did the 185's for 5 on Incline.