Author Topic: Hardest exercise to train a beginner to perform properly  (Read 3842 times)

D-Ware

• Getbig II
Hardest exercise to train a beginner to perform properly
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
Stiff legged deadlifts.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Hardest exercise to train a beginner to perform properly
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
Squats.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
Squats.

Agree.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give myself a max of 4 regarding correct execution of this exercise.
I have squatted a lot, always light - max. of 1.2 x bodyweight, yet I can only give the most basic pointers.
Tried box squats and I have to say they teach you some good fundamentals.

What would be your must consider tips regarding squats mighty Chaos?  :D

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
Trying to get people to "sit" into the squat, most people want to do a half good morning squat. Bench/box squats always hurt my knees, not sure why.

I try to cover the basics, head up at all times, push your ass out as you sit, drive through the heels...the standard stuff.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »
Regular DL's followed by squats for a close second.

Find that the confidence and even fear factor, may come into play from some people. It's the mistaken idea that these exercises demand heavy weight and somehow their body's will get serious injury's or just break in haslf. Got to take them through each exercise, starting with only the bar at first, at a slower pace.

Let than gain their own level of confidence as time goes by. Some really never get use to DL's or Squats. Surprising that some women adjust much better than a few men. Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »
yep,,,, squat,deads and stiff legged deads take some sinking in for some people

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Squats and deadlifts depending on the person.

I have seen some people be able to squat with a full ROM and decent form almost right away. It has a lot to do with body mechanics and flexibility. But most of the time learning how to squat properly takes time and patience.

Deadlifts are a different story, from the get-go everyone can do a full a rep, but how they get the weight up is the difficult part.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
bent over rows,,,,i love them but once u add too much weight form is gone and then u 'heave' the weight,,,sldl i do every leg workout and they hurt ,,again good feel for me 135,185,225,i go as high 275 and done 295 but the 'feel' point to me 225 12 reps stretch and natural pull back to top position is comfortable,,my ego says go 275 tho,,,

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
curls... most experienced lifters still do them incorrectly

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »
bent over rows,,,,i love them but once u add too much weight form is gone and then u 'heave' the weight,,,sldl i do every leg workout and they hurt ,,again good feel for me 135,185,225,i go as high 275 and done 295 but the 'feel' point to me 225 12 reps stretch and natural pull back to top position is comfortable,,my ego says go 275 tho,,,
Funny cause my ego always says 315 but I feel better at 275. :P I tried 365 a few times but feel like it turned into a low back exercise.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »
Funny cause my ego always says 315 but I feel better at 275. :P I tried 365 a few times but feel like it turned into a low back exercise.
hear ya,,,i tried 3 plates and then its a dead cause your knees unlock thats alot of weight chaos 275/315/365 on sldl,,ur tall and big so thats  a long way down and power up,,i'm shortish so i have less to go still tough,,,

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
Sometimes being tall is a pain in the ass. :(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:21 AM »
Sometimes being tall is a pain in the ass. :(

i always get a laugh when people see my ROM... I'm 5'11" and a smidge but I have short arms and legs and a long torso...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 05:06:45 AM »
Gotta` go with squats.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »
i always get a laugh when people see my ROM... I'm 5'11" and a smidge but I have short arms and legs and a long torso...
mattarrazzo...

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:04 AM »
 I've trained people who I show them a picture of a nice deep squat and explained it to them. On his actual set the form was great but that is not always the case. Alot of people want to squat two inches and come back up lol. I would agree stiff legged deads because they fail to understand what the movement is supposed to work or feel like. Hence why after years of training you get pumped alot easier.

Domthemilky

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »
i still cant do stiff legged deadlifts for shit. sad thing is the only hamstring machine we have is total crap so i only ever really do lunges besides regular deadlifts and squats for my hamstrings. i'd say barbell rows are hard to learn  aswell. i tried to instruct a friend on how to do them and it was one of the most awkward things I have ever seen. i just told him to stick his arse out and keep his back straight at an angle and imagine pulling with his elbows and ramming the bar into his waist but he still couldn't perform it properly.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
Barbell rows are hard exercise to explain since most people try and use their arms to much. Especially when they haven't built a connection with the back muscles.  I think part of the problem is alot of guys try and squeeze during stiff leg deads. Hit the movement with good form but dont try and completly isolate the hams. Did you ever try and perform stiff legs with dumbells? It is easier to get it right groove and focus on them. Also you can try some dumbell leg curls and dumbell step ups. Step ups are a pretty good mass builder once you can handle some good weight.

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Anything exercise where the hips have to "hinge" most people dont understand that. They either bend at the knees or waist. Its so hard to break people of that. Thats why I use this as a training tool.