Author Topic: Obama proposes fee hikes to military members for healthcare.  (Read 4117 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama proposes fee hikes to military members for healthcare.
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
Tricare costs would jump in budget plan

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/02/military-tricare-costs-would-jump-in-budget-plan-022312w

By Patricia Kime - Staff writer

Thursday Feb 23, 2012 13:25:03 EST

Pentagon officials will continue pressing in 2013 for significantly higher Tricare fees for military retirees, including older retirees covered by Tricare for Life, as well as higher drug co-pays for all Tricare beneficiaries.

The Defense Department’s proposed 2013 budget calls for annual enrollment fees for retirees in Tricare Prime to rise next year by 30 percent to 78 percent, from the current $460 or $520 for families to between $600 and $820, depending on military retirement income.

“Working-age retirees” — those younger than 65 — also would pay annual enrollment fees for Tricare Standard and Extra: $70 for an individual and $140 for a family. These would be the first enrollment fees for Standard and Extra in Tricare history.

Deductibles for Standard and Extra also would rise by $10 for individuals and $20 for families.

Proposed changes
See how your plan’s rates would change

Medicare-eligible retirees also would contribute more to their care: The budget calls for annual Tricare for Life enrollment fees of $35 to $115 per individual, depending on retirement income. A retiree and a spouse covered under TFL would each have to pay the enrollment fee.

Tricare for Life beneficiaries currently pay no enrollment fees but are required to enroll in Medicare Part B, which carries premiums of $99.90 a month.

Military advocacy groups said they understand the budget constraints facing DoD but feel this proposal “passes the buck” to beneficiaries.

“We take issue with the Pentagon’s decision to raise fees for beneficiaries, relying on them to pay for the budget when it’s the department’s responsibility to increase efficiencies and cut their own costs,” said Kathy Beasley, health care committee co-chairwoman for the Military Coalition, an umbrella group of more than 30 national military associations.

The groups also are concerned about the Pentagon’s call to link fee hikes to retirement income and index future increases to the medical inflation rate, which tends to rise faster than overall inflation or the annual cost-of-living adjustment in military retired pay.

When lawmakers last year approved the first fee increases since Tricare was created in the mid-1990s, they limited future hikes to the retiree COLA. The most recent COLA increase was 3.6 percent; medical inflation typically rises by 6 percent or 7 percent a year.

“These new increases, coming on top of last year’s changes, are a classic ‘bait and switch’ that would raise beneficiary fees by as much as $1,500 a year or more,” said retired Vice Adm. Norb Ryan, president of the Military Officers Association of America.

Another proposed change would boost pharmacy co-pays on brand-name drugs, a move designed to encourage patients to buy generic versions or fill their prescriptions at military treatment facilities.

Under the plan:

• Co-pays at retail outlets would remain $5 for generics but would more than double next year to $26 for brand names, then go up $2 per year through 2017. Co-pays for drugs not listed on Tricare’s formulary would be decided on a case-by-case basis.

• Generic drugs obtained by mail would remain free for a 90-day supply, but brand names would increase next year to $26 from $9 and rise by $2 a year through 2017. Nonformulary drugs would cost $51, up from $25.

Pentagon Comptroller Robert Hale said the proposals reflect DoD’s commitment to military families. He added that the tiered approach directs those with greater means to pay more for their health care.

Tricare “will still be quite generous compared to the private-sector plans, Aetna or Blue Cross Blue Shield. We still think it’s generous, as it should be, but we feel we need to move in that direction,” Hale said.

The enrollment fee hikes would not apply to survivors of military members who died on active duty or medically retired troops.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama proposes fee hikes to military members for healthcare.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
So illegals get free health care, deadbeats get free cell phones, UAW parasites get $7,000 checks, and the troops get screwed?    Thats the Obama way!   Reward the leeches and punish the productive. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
See...first off the douchbag leftists figure our jobs are just like their government jobs so why not hike a little bit. Second they seem to forget that we were promised free healthcare for life when we signed up. And u fucking pansy ass leftwing dems wonder why most of us vote Republican.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Are all of these "Pentagon Officials" "Liberals"?

I thought most people in the Military and Defense were "Republicans"?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »
See...first off the douchbag leftists figure our jobs are just like their government jobs so why not hike a little bit. Second they seem to forget that we were promised free healthcare for life when we signed up. And u fucking pansy ass leftwing dems wonder why most of us vote Republican.

Obama goes after the military because he has nothing to lose.  Nothice how he never goes after SEIU, AFSME, etc? 

He is a communist marxist anti-american zealot at the core. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »

Panetta is carrying out the wishes of Obama.   

If this were across the entire govt, that is one thing, but of course obama wont do that since most govt workers are demos and he does not want to risk their vote. 

When you understand that obama has a seething hatred of this country - everything he does makes perfect sense.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

Dempsey  rolled over a few weeks ago...Panetta is a Dem operative. This is what you get. Gates tried to head it off by doing some real cuts...now all the years of Lib hand-outs will be paid on opur backs. Same thing happened in Germany in the 20's....but whatever, I look good in a long leather trench and covertible Benz.  I can tell you this, it won't be "them Jooos' in those camps.  ;D
L

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
Dempsey  rolled over a few weeks ago...Panetta is a Dem operative. This is what you get. Gates tried to head it off by doing some real cuts...now all the years of Lib hand-outs will be paid on opur backs. Same thing happened in Germany in the 20's....but whatever, I look good in a long leather trench and covertible Benz.  I can tell you this, it won't be "them Jooos' in those camps.  ;D
Lol,.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »

I can't believe anyone agreed to this, but aren't agreeing to cutting the budget slightly to save a few bucks.

I would have given them free healthcare and cut the defense budget about 15%.

Of course I would cut EVERY department 15%.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
I can't believe anyone agreed to this, but aren't agreeing to cutting the budget slightly to save a few bucks.

I would have given them free healthcare and cut the defense budget about 15%.

Of course I would cut EVERY department 15%.

Again - free cell phones to urban leeches - higher costs to soldiers. 

Free medical to illegals - higher costs to soldiers

Free handout for buying cars - higher costs to soldiers

$7000 bonus to GM hacks - higher costs to soldiers

Free college for selcted groups - higher costs for soldiers

BILLIONS to corrupt green companies and donors - higher costs to soldiers

No jail time for Corzine - court martial for Navy Seals

Got it yet?   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »
Shock...not sure how long you were in but my knee's are gone from humping...hamstrings are gone from the same thing...along with jumping on and off tanks. I have acid reflux from all the bullshit food and shots...I don't sleep worth a damm..and it takes 6 months before I even act normal after deployment.  I have 19 years in... yeah yeah..I signed up and I sure as hell knew the risks....but my contract said free healthcare in exchange for service.  So about 1.5 Million people and are going to have to pay for the millions of scum sucking hand out wanting non-working shitbags?  Fuck the dems......

Tu..we're getting cut worse then that, without any cuts to anybody else.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Shock...not sure how long you were in but my knee's are gone from humping...hamstrings are gone from the same thing...along with jumping on and off tanks. I have acid reflux from all the bullshit food and shots...I don't sleep worth a damm..and it takes 6 months before I even act normal after deployment.  I have 19 years in... yeah yeah..I signed up and I sure as hell knew the risks....but my contract said free healthcare in exchange for service.  So about 1.5 Million people and are going to have to pay for the millions of scum sucking hand out wanting non-working shitbags?  Fuck the dems......

I sympathize... I can't stand it either.

Viva La Revolution!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
Trashing Tricare...Obama to cut healthcare benefits for active duty and retired US military
Free Beacon ^ | 2/27/2012 | Bill Gertz

The Obama administration’s proposed defense budget calls for military families and retirees to pay sharply more for their healthcare, while leaving unionized civilian defense workers’ benefits untouched. The proposal is causing a major rift within the Pentagon, according to U.S. officials. Several congressional aides suggested the move is designed to increase the enrollment in Obamacare’s state-run insurance exchanges.

The disparity in treatment between civilian and uniformed personnel is causing a backlash within the military that could undermine recruitment and retention.

The proposed increases in health care payments by service members, which must be approved by Congress, are part of the Pentagon’s $487 billion cut in spending. It seeks to save $1.8 billion from the Tricare medical system in the fiscal 2013 budget, and $12.9 billion by 2017.

Many in Congress are opposing the proposed changes, which would require the passage of new legislation before being put in place.

(Excerpt) Read more at freebeacon.com ...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
What do you....I'm sure there's a place for you in the new Gov ;D.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
I'm a super computer nerd... Right now I work for a video game company.

I'm a good shot though... been shooting since I was 9.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
What do you....I'm sure there's a place for you in the new Gov ;D.

I want the job as Chairperson of the Committee on Anti-American Activities to root out and banish to Kenya all the communists.  

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »
Shock...not sure how long you were in but my knee's are gone from humping...hamstrings are gone from the same thing...along with jumping on and off tanks. I have acid reflux from all the bullshit food and shots...I don't sleep worth a damm..and it takes 6 months before I even act normal after deployment.  I have 19 years in... yeah yeah..I signed up and I sure as hell knew the risks....but my contract said free healthcare in exchange for service.  So about 1.5 Million people and are going to have to pay for the millions of scum sucking hand out wanting non-working shitbags?  Fuck the dems......

No I agree with you, I was lol'ing at the fact that we were promised all this shit, but people that never strapped on a pair of boots or humped a pack 30 ft are deciding they can take away one of the very basic things military men need more than anything.

I was also lol'ing at the reference to the German 20's. Shit is getting fucked in the Federal Government right now. Ive been contemplating re-enlisting, going Army Reserve instead of the Corp... but I just so unsure of the direction the country is going.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:43:12 PM »
i'm going to use the 333386 argument  what part of broke don't you understand

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
No I agree with you, I was lol'ing at the fact that we were promised all this shit, but people that never strapped on a pair of boots or humped a pack 30 ft are deciding they can take away one of the very basic things military men need more than anything.

I was also lol'ing at the reference to the German 20's. Shit is getting fucked in the Federal Government right now. Ive been contemplating re-enlisting, going Army Reserve instead of the Corp... but I just so unsure of the direction the country is going.

I have a job for you....reenlist, we leave in April.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
i'm going to use the 333386 argument  what part of broke don't you understand

I missed where we're gonna cut DOE/HUD/IRS/Education/Welfare/EPA/FDA etc etc etc etc. Oh wait, we're not.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
 :)

I would get rid of dea, atf, nea, hhs, irs, dol, epa, etc.   Slash welfare, get rid of menglecare, get rid of obamaphones, end fannie and freddy, open lands for drilling, sell off land for development, deport all communists, deport illegals, jail obama and holder, jail napolitano and jarret, jail sebellius and chu, and start there. 

That alone can pay for the vets. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
:)

I would get rid of dea, atf, nea, hhs, irs, dol, epa, etc.   Slash welfare, get rid of menglecare, get rid of obamaphones, end fannie and freddy, open lands for drilling, sell off land for development, deport all communists, deport illegals, jail obama and holder, jail napolitano and jarret, jail sebellius and chu, and start there. 

That alone can pay for the vets. 

I would keep the EPA but slash it in 1/2.

I'd get rid of all of the rest though. I don't think I would get rid of illegals because we need cheap lettuce picking labor.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
everyone wants cuts, just not their baby

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 04:34:08 PM »
I have a job for you....reenlist, we leave in April.
Oh? And what job would that be? lol.  ??? ;D

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »
What I find interesting is that instead of going after clear examples of waste in the DOD budget, they're going after the livelihood of troops. Sounds to me like all of the hotshot defense contractors (read: Military-Industrial Complex) are much more important than American kids putting their lives on the line.