Author Topic: back workout  (Read 7877 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
back workout
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
ive been getting great results with this workout lately

pulldowns
2 warm ups
2 work sets

deadlifts
1 work set

straight arm pushdowns (simulates machine pullovers)
1-2 warm ups
1-2 work sets

(rear delts and traps afterwards)

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
Re: back workout
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
no rows?
Boundary Breaker

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »
occasionally ill throw in one set of bent over dumbell rows

i used to focus my entire back workout around 4-5 work sets of barbell rows.. i think rows are a good movement but i find pulldowns to be better

the straight arm pushdowns are actually very similar to rows in the way it engages the lats

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »

i used to focus my entire back workout around 4-5 work sets of barbell rows.. i think rows are a good movement but i find pulldowns to be better

the straight arm pushdowns are actually very similar to rows in the way it engages the lats

I'd make sure you're still getting scapula retraction man

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »
How many sets of deads do you do before you build up to your work set,and how many reps for your work set?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
How many sets of deads do you do before you build up to your work set,and how many reps for your work set?

yeah there's got to me more work in there than that  ??? ???

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »
yeah there's got to me more work in there than that  ??? ???
Yup,that`s like Mentzers one work set...........6 sets to work up to his work sets = volume training and not his HIT BS.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
just one set dude, not trying to exhaust anything, just a bit of stimulation.  my body responds real nicely to a bit of stimulation. but when i exaust a muscle it doesnt respond at all, in fact soemtimes it gets weaker.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
I'd make sure you're still getting scapula retraction man
i think the stiff arm pulldowns/pushdowns (like machine pullovers) do that.. ?  if you saw the way i performed the pulldowns (machine pullups), the way i squeeze at the bottom and keep my lower back arched and upper body completely upright without any motion or sway at all.. i think youd understand why i dont need more exercises..   

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
i think the stiff arm pulldowns/pushdowns (like machine pullovers) do that.. ?  if you saw the way i performed the pulldowns (machine pullups), the way i squeeze at the bottom and keep my lower back arched and upper body completely upright without any motion or sway at all.. i think youd understand why i dont need more exercises..   

This is scapular retraction........So unless your laying flat on the pulldown seat and your chest is facing the ceiling. Its not scapular retraction. Scap retraction is crucial for shoulder health and keeping an antagonistic balance between the pushing and pulling muscles in your upper body.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
i am pretty sure the stiff arm pulldowns acomplish that, but regardless the way i hit rear delts would most definitely.

its not that i have anything against rows, they are great, but my muscles dont respond when i work them too much, so i can only work a limited amount of exercises.  right now i like pulldowns first and foremost, i feel like they hit pretty much the entire lat the way i do them, and deadlifts hit everything else on the posterior of the torso that pulldowns dont hit. stiff arm pulldowns i like cuz they hit the lat and take the bicep out of the movement.

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »
i am pretty sure the stiff arm pulldowns acomplish that, but regardless the way i hit rear delts would most definitely.

its not that i have anything against rows, they are great, but my muscles dont respond when i work them too much, so i can only work a limited amount of exercises.  right now i like pulldowns first and foremost, i feel like they hit pretty much the entire lat the way i do them, and deadlifts hit everything else on the posterior of the torso that pulldowns dont hit. stiff arm pulldowns i like cuz they hit the lat and take the bicep out of the movement.

I'm not a huge t-nation fan. But heres a good article. Its kinda on the subject that we're talking about.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/8_tips_to_give_your_program_more_pull

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
I'm not a huge t-nation fan. But heres a good article. Its kinda on the subject that we're talking about.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/8_tips_to_give_your_program_more_pull

I like that site. why aren't u a big fan?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »

read it. they seem to think pulldowns are effective for the purpouse they are covering.

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
read it. they seem to think pulldowns are effective for the purpouse they are covering.

I dont think they mentioned pulldowns in the article bro.

I know they mentioned chins/pullups, band pull aparts, and all sorts of rows.

The reason I posted the article was. Its important to get as much if not more pulling into your routine then pushing exercises.

So keeping in rows will most likely be a positive to your program.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
ive been getting great results with this workout lately

pulldowns
2 warm ups
2 work sets

deadlifts
1 work set

straight arm pushdowns (simulates machine pullovers)
1-2 warm ups
1-2 work sets

(rear delts and traps afterwards)
Here's a back workout imo:

Back day: First attempt at rack deads

135x10
225x8
315x5
405x3
495x1
545x1
585x1
The above lifts were easy. I felt I had a lot more in me and wanted to do deads off the floor.
405x3
455x3
455x3 now i'm warmed up!
T-bar rows-3rd set 6 plates and a 25 for 8
Seated cable rows-stack 300lbs 3x12x10x10
Wide pulldowns x3
Wide seated machine rowsx3
Wide machine pull-upsx3

T

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »
if that works for you, great. wouldnt work for me unless i waited 2 weeks between workouts. and maybe not even then.

Domthemilky

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 04:25:33 AM »

how do you do the pushdowns? with a lat pulldown width bar? i always find when doing it on a cable machine that my abs dont feel stable and it feels like its pulling me up if i go heavy at all. really weird.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 03:20:02 PM »
i usually use the rope attachment, keep my palms facing eachother and twist them to facing behind me at peak contraction.  lower back arched real hard throughout, real hard strong pull down, real slow and controled, like 5 second count, on the way up.

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
What i've been doin lately:

Deadlifts
Pulldowns
Underhand Pulldowns
T-Bar Rows
Seated Rows
Reverse DB Flyes
DB Shrugs

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
reverse dumbell flys ! that sounds interesting !

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »
reverse dumbell flys ! that sounds interesting !

I think he just means this.

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
yep. i actually do em lying on an elevated flat bench though. i hate doing em bent-over, feels awkward and hard to not sway my body with the movement. feels like theyre isolated better on the bench.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
Doing reverse DB flyes strict on an incline bench is humbling.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »
Doing reverse DB flyes strict on an incline bench is humbling.

yeah they are. i usually superset them with rope face pulls. low weight but just trying to work the rear delts as much as possible. they respond well to this. got some ideas from kai actually for rear delt training