Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
April 19, 2014, 01:42:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leg mass without squats?  (Read 2356 times)
daddy8ball
Getbig III

Violence is not the answer. It is the question.

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

I've always read in the mags that the only way to leg mass is the free weight squat.

I've always done them, and they do work.

I'm older now, not trying to win 16 Olympias, and just want some big ass quads.

I'm currently doing hacks and lunges. I *think* that's pretty much all I need.

Whats the verdict on GetBig?
Report to moderator   Logged

The answer is "yes".
trapz101
Getbig IV

APPROVED

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »

just did front squat in my leg workout yesterday for the first time after months of no squat and my legs are sore like never before...

T
Brocty
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:19 PM »

Toss in some heavy ass leg presses with those hacks and you will be busting pant sleves in no time Cool

beverast
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:01 AM »

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html
NotMrAverage
Getbig IV

SCHPORT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »

If you are taller the less squats will build legmass. Iīve been training for 15 years and thought that there was no way around doing squats. Even if iīm only 5.10 I tend to bend my back to much. If you have shortish legs or are all around shorter the more squats will build quads. For me it mostly built glutes and lower back. After about 5 years of training I changed to legpresses and hacks and my quads blew up pretty fast. I can still do front squats though and do them once in a while. Itīs just so akward doing them, feels like someone is choking me... Also higher reps/lower weight normal squats work pretty good. legpresses and hacks are bread and butter though.

MIRAGETROPIN
Sherief Shalaby
Getbig V

Team Nasser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »

I've always read in the mags that the only way to leg mass is the free weight squat.

I've always done them, and they do work.

I'm older now, not trying to win 16 Olympias, and just want some big ass quads.

I'm currently doing hacks and lunges. I *think* that's pretty much all I need.

Whats the verdict on GetBig?

heavy leg press,.. smith squats,.. hacks are all great.. due to an old back injury dorian was not doing free weight squats..
JasonH
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:02 AM »

Squats are great but there's no need to get married to them.

Pre-exhaust leg extensions, followed by leg presses, followed by hacks have built my quads just as good as any form of squatting.
beverast
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »

Squats easily turn into an ego lifting exercise for a lot of people and worsening form takes the pressure of the quads pretty quickly. So unless you do them with at least good form, they really aren't any good choice for quad development.
20inch calves
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:29:01 AM »

to me hacks hurt the knees worse than squats. but paul dillet supposedly never squatted and look as his legs

irongearco.com
ergo
Getbig I

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:35:08 AM »

15 years no squat or free bar bench. Pics from yesterday. I'm 50 years old. Doing it the GH15 way. 6ft. 238 in the morning.

* IMG_0162.jpg (38.01 KB, 320x221 - viewed 1225 times.)

* IMG_0160.jpg (33.19 KB, 239x319 - viewed 1229 times.)
g101
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:44:32 AM »

you don't need squats maybe first couple years sure.. but after it is not needed .... dorian yates and kevin levrone don't squat and they are top 6 bodybuilders of all time

this should tell you something.
beverast
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:23:16 AM »

Oh yeah, regarding Yates:

"Some people's joints articulate in a manner that allows them to benefit greatly from squats; others may not benefit at all. If you're not too tall and have short limbs, it may be the best exercise for you, but if you're tall with long legs, it might be both ineffective and dangerous.I was stubbornly faithful to squats for years until I finally realized they were not well-suited for my body structure. After I switched to more muscle-intensive movements, my gains in leg size were astounding."--Dorian Yates

He might or might not actually have said that, but it's true.
Sherief Shalaby
Getbig V

Team Nasser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:44:27 AM »

"Some people's joints articulate in a manner that allows them to benefit greatly from squats; others may not benefit at all. If you're not too tall and have short limbs, it may be the best exercise for you, but if you're tall with long legs, it might be both ineffective and dangerous.I was stubbornly faithful to squats for years until I finally realized they were not well-suited for my body structure. After I switched to more muscle-intensive movements, my gains in leg size were astounding."--Dorian Yates

but he for sure said that he was forced not to do free weight squats after an injury.. he was doing smith squats instead..
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »

Squats are one of the best exercises going. Most don't do them and many who do use a very shallow range of motion. Having said that it isn't necessary to feel you have to squat if they are not for you due to structural issues. Just as the flat barbell bench press isn't something that's mandatory in the weight room.

I rarely see this exercise but it's fantastic for the legs. It's deep squats holding dumbbells at your sides.  Most would say I use 300 plus when I barbell squat how could I find big enough dumbbells. Let me tell you if you squat upright and deep enough  just to the point where the dumbbells come within an inch of the floor you can't use a lot of weight. Try it. Use straps and hold the bells at your side. Squat upright and really deep. Do a couple of sets of 12.  It's a really hard exercise.  You will really feel this in your legs.
purenaturalstrength
Time Out
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »

i do squats a lot because i enjoy it

but you have to be quite crazy to think you need them to build legs

you can do hack squats and leg press obviously

but to me squat is more convenient and fun
MAXX
Getbig V

?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 08:15:42 AM »

15 years no squat or free bar bench. Pics from yesterday. I'm 50 years old. Doing it the GH15 way. 6ft. 238 in the morning.
your legs are garbage for all the shit you use...
da_vinci
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »

Squats are great.. I'm 6ft1 but love 'em. Deep or it's not a squat of course.
 Oh, and they build "dat ass" too..
Metabolic
Getbig IV

Team I Fucked Her Face

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »

Squats are bang for your back the best leg exercise ever, full rom, deep in the hole (no homo) to get the best out of it.
jon cole
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »

yes according to youyr pics no need to squat and bench with gram of aas.

asstropin
L00n
Getbig IV

Bulgaria

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

one simple rule for big .. ass AND quads
"shut up and squat"
Metabolic
Getbig IV

Team I Fucked Her Face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »

Good think you clarified you are bathing in PEDs, I can now ignore almost anything you claim about training.
jon cole
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »

Squats easily turn into an ego lifting exercise for a lot of people and worsening form takes the pressure of the quads pretty quickly. So unless you do them with at least good form, they really aren't any good choice for quad development.

squat are good for general mass.
but to much ego in squat= back pain and big ass.

so i do 3 set of 10 reps with medium weight cos they're still the base.

then i do front squat - sldl -lunge to give leg a total workout.

asstropin
Metabolic
Getbig IV

Team I Fucked Her Face

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »

Differences in biomechanics are marginal between regular individuals, he is exaggerating and very misleading, he is not right.

Just in case, yes, there are extreme cases of people having advtangaes or disadvantages on leverage when considering limbīs length and anatomy, this is not a real problem for almost anybody.  Or unless you wanna be a tier 1 pro athelete in strength disciplines.
Super Natural
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »

Your Mom built her leg mass from squatting.
coltrane
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

Unless you're competing, don't bother squatting unless you're young and your back is still fine.

Otherwise leg presses and extensions. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!