Author Topic: Cardio  (Read 3942 times)

tweak05

• Getbig II
  • Get Big Baby
Cardio
« on: October 21, 2005, 11:08:13 PM »
Lately I've been doing Cardio twice a day. One before I workout usually for a 25-40 minute period, depends on how I feel, plus a 15 minute walk after workout. Then I also do cardio right after work, usually 15 minutes of HIIT.

Heres my question, I hate running, dred it completely. So all my cardio is being done by bicycle. In the overal is bicycling better for losing bodyfat than running. How do they compare? Should I do a variety of cardio? Opinions and facts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Goal is to get below 11%(enough to see my abs) body fat, current is a stingy 14%.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Cardio
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
Lately I've been doing Cardio twice a day. 

Heres my question, I hate running, dred it completely. So all my cardio is being done by bicycle. In the overal is bicycling better for losing bodyfat than running. How do they compare? Should I do a variety of cardio? Opinions and facts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Opinion:

Obviously I am biased towards running for weight/fat loss--  :) but I understand your dread!

I actually do alot of biking for cardio as well ---

I make the biking less boring/more intense indoors by doing intervals, where I crank it up to a higher level say L 9-10 for 2 minutes, then bring it down for 4 or so mins, then back to the same or higher level... all the while maintaining a rate of over 100 rpms--or outdoors you can get same effect by riding where there are lots of hills.

MikeV

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 04:59:26 PM »
I would recommend spacing out your cardio and weight lifting sessions, so that you have more focus and concentration when performing each one.

Also performing cardio at a different time, rather than right before weight training will enable you to have mor eenergy when you're weight training.

I would do my cardio after work, 4 times a week, for 35 minutes at high intensiity.

Mike

Aido

• Getbig II
  • Lift, Eat, Rest, Grow, Repeat.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:16:18 AM »
if you want to pay me, I'd be more then happy to fill you in

I don't think anyone would take your advice for free Weed.

As for the cardio thing , mix it up. On the bike with only your legs moving sure you will burn calories, but you can make it more effective by having the rest of your body working too. Trying the eliptical trainer or the rowing machine.

It's all good once your doing it but it will also stop you getting bored. Another great way is martial arts, if there are any classes near you. Think kick boxinf for the work out benefits.

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 05:27:24 AM »
Yes, Variety is key. I do short burst sprints on the treadmill for 10 Min's example; walk, jog, sprint repeat. this is great for cardio also it doesn't burn up alot of muscle. I do realize it takes at least 15-20 Min's for fat to be used as fuel but this has been working for me. Also martial arts  Thaiboxing, Boxing, Brazilian jujitsu i do all these 3-4 times a week also helps alot.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

loler

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 05:52:45 AM »
the only thing that matters is your heartrate
apart from that, it doesnt matter what cardio piece you use

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:49 PM »

- - I make the biking less boring/more intense indoors by doing intervals, where I crank it up to a higher level say L 9-10 for 2 minutes, then bring it down for 4 or so mins, then back to the same or higher level... all the while maintaining a rate of over 100 rpms--or outdoors you can get same effect by riding where there are lots of hills. - -

I kind of balzed past this thread . . . a word caught my attention

runnerbabe hit it on the head - I N T E R V A L S - are IT.

I can peak by a constant 100+ cadence and really tap into
a very high level of intensity (with intervals) really quickly,
peaking my heartrate. Hopefully, preserving muscles.

I was (a bicyclist) endurance trained much of the first 20 years of fitness,
as BB, I am a hardgainer I have done relatively little cardio in past 5 years.
1 life 1 liver