Author Topic: push ups  (Read 1432 times)

superman.cd

• Getbig II
  • Evybody Gidown!!!- The Oak!
push ups
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
Can I do pushups the day after arms...I'm stuck on a drilling rig and only have a curl bar...
Maynard is GOD!!

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
Re: push ups
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »
Do em everyday, they're a great exercise.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »
Scroll down and look at my post on body weight exercises. You can do a lot without weights.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »
pushups, yea.. if you can knock out 30 or so easy then its very light load.

I've been thinking about making bodyweight exercises harder lately including pushups. 1-arm pushups are no joke, many ways of making them easier/harder. I can post more about that if you care. Also would like to see oldtimer's ideas on bodyweight exercises.
follow the arrows

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
pushups, yea.. if you can knock out 30 or so easy then its very light load.

I've been thinking about making bodyweight exercises harder lately including pushups. 1-arm pushups are no joke, many ways of making them easier/harder. I can post more about that if you care. Also would like to see oldtimer's ideas on bodyweight exercises.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking 30 reps is a light load. A lot of top shelf athletes use push ups as one of their main inventory of exercises. Try knocking out 100 perfect pushups in 90 seconds and tell me you didn't do some hard core work.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Anybody ever just get into fantastic ripped condition using body weight exercises?  A teenager was talking how he liked to get into an elite unit in the military like the Seals, recon, and rangers. He was talking about what type of weight work out to do. I told him they don't lift weights when training elite soldiers. They turn them into incoherent exhausted boots using basically body weight exercises.

It also made me think of an abandoned play ground in poor black neighborhood where men were working out on a playground.  They were doing dips, push ups, chins, various jumps, leg lifts and other exercises.  They were ripped and in fantastic condition. In the neighboring rich white neighborhood gym that had everything had so many out of shape guys.  This really brought me to reality that you really don't need to much equipment to be in fantastic shape. How many bodybuilders could even run around a block?

This is really a short list of what you could do to get into really functional condition and yes have a good build.

1. Various jumps like lunge jumps, tuck jumps, just jumps for height and broad jumps.
2. Running for distance and sprint work.
3. Single and double leg free hand squats. I believe it was 1975 when in the light weight division a guy won the Mr. Universe using 400 free hand squats with leg extensions and curls for his leg program.
4. Various pull ups.
5. body weight rows.  Put your heels on a bench and reach up to a bar with you body facing the ceiling. These are really effective.
6. dips
7. up side down body presses. These are really tough. Start by just elevating your feet on something and do push ups. Just get higher and higher.
8. Various ab stuff like  crunches, sit ups,planks and leg raises.
9. calf raises off a stair case step. One leg at a time then finish with both.
10. Conditioning exercises like burpees , mountain climbers, even jumping jacks for time will separate the men from the pretenders to be in shape. 
11. Ground fighting like submission wrestling is top shelf for getting into fantastic shape.  If you have never boxed you are in for one big surprise when you have an actual game opponent in front of you for a 3 minute round. Most who are new to it have said I had trouble keeping my hands up from exhaustion after throwing punches for just one minute.

There are so much more but I just wanted to list a few.  I know some guys will say this isn't men's fitness but truth be told body weight exercise can be the hardest work out you could ever do. 

Here's good book on bodyweight exercise. http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Can I do pushups the day after arms...I'm stuck on a drilling rig and only have a curl bar...

I would do tris after chest in that case... do biceps and back (pullups, high rep rows)