Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
April 18, 2014, 09:24:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pain in forearm from curls  (Read 5478 times)
outby43
Getbig IV

Libertarians 2016

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »

I get a sharp radiating pain in my forearm (ulnar side) after doing curls.  I have done ez bar, dumbells, straight bar...they all produce pain and it only goes away after a few days rest.

Will this ever go away?  I am guessing no since it had been happening for 10 years.
Report to moderator   Logged
ztinman
Getbig II

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »

I used to get this and u bumped up my calcium intake to around 3grams and it hasnt returned
wes
Competitors
Getbig V

The Power Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »

I used to get this a lot......it was similar to having shin splints,only on the forearms.

I was going way too heavy.

I`d rest up until it was gone,then go lighter with the focus on slow reps feeling the biceps do the brunt of the work,and squeezing at the top, followed by a slow negative.
funk51
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »

go the john grimek route put a bench under the lat machine attach bar and curl away while laying on back. it didn't hurt his size or shape much.

* JohnGrimekandCompany.jpg (45.43 KB, 481x450 - viewed 3180 times.)
funk51
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »

like this Grin Grin hope this helps not said in a wiseass way.

* cable curls.jpg (443.14 KB, 850x567 - viewed 3235 times.)
outby43
Getbig IV

Libertarians 2016

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:11:10 PM »

I used to get this a lot......it was similar to having shin splints,only on the forearms.

I`d rest up until it was gone,then go lighter with the focus on slow reps feeling the biceps do the brunt of the work,and squeezing at the top, followed by a slow negative.

Yes Wes...that is exactly what it feels like.  The problem is if I go any lighter I will be curling the pink dumbells
wes
Competitors
Getbig V

The Power Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »

Yes Wes...that is exactly what it feels like.  The problem is if I go any lighter I will be curling the pink dumbells
Let it rest bro.....you won`t lose size if you keep training your back and eat right.

It takes a helluva` long time to clear up if you keep training while still in pain..............trust me,I used to get that shit a lot and still trained anyway,but I wouldn`t recommend it or do it now that I`ve learned my lesson not to try to be so hardcore.  Sad

Good luck bro!  Wink
Montague
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »

I experienced this same thing when I first started training with weights. It was always after doing a set of straight bar curls, and it occurred after releasing my grip on the bar. Thankfully, I did not have it consistently for more than a few months, and it was never harsh.
However, I distinctly remember that slowly releasing the tension in my grip when setting down the bar greatly reduced - in many cases, totally alleviated - the splinting sensation. 
wes
Competitors
Getbig V

The Power Cosmic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »

I experienced this same thing when I first started training with weights. It was always after doing a set of straight bar curls, and it occurred after releasing my grip on the bar. Thankfully, I did not have it consistently for more than a few months, and it was never harsh.
However, I distinctly remember that slowly releasing the tension in my grip when setting down the bar greatly reduced - in many cases, totally alleviated - the splinting sensation. 
Yup,straight bar curls was the culprit for me also.

I would curl bodyweight for 5 reps,slightly cheated with a mega-slow negative for a couple of sets.......way too heavy from a hypertrophy standpint,but great for building power and being stupid!  Cheesy

Forearm shin splints is the perfect description and they ain`t much fun at all.
andreisdaman
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »

Yup,straight bar curls was the culprit for me also.

I would curl bodyweight for 5 reps,slightly cheated with a mega-slow negative for a couple of sets.......way too heavy from a hypertrophy standpint,but great for building power and being stupid!  Cheesy

Forearm shin splints is the perfect description and they ain`t much fun at all.

straight bar kills kill my forearms as well.....hurts really bad when I go really heavy..feels like a toothache on your arms...LOL
kevcat
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »

Definetly used to have the old 'shin splint' feeling in my forearms, lke everyone says, from too heavy BB curls! I literally never trained biceps for a good year or so at all and it eventually went away and now ill never touch any sort of BB curl. I dont even really train biceps at all now, and my arms havent decreased at all, theyre over rated IMO
calfzilla
Getbig V

"My goodness, look at this biceps peak!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:14:48 AM »

I think I have this but just in my left arm. Straight bars make it worse so I never use them. Ez bar still hurts but not as bad, hurts worst first couple sets. Don't get it much from dumbbells.
jpm101
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

Usually nerve blockage/damage or a slight tear of a smaller muscle or ligament.

With most guy's, not enough time is allowed for the forearm part to heal completely...which is kind of hard because the forearms are used in most curling/pulling exercises. Might try keeping the area warm, with light wraps or a heating lotion during workouts and even when not working out. The pain may appear to go away after a few days, but the problem is not truly healed. Some have used massage, or even acupuncture/acupressure to correct the problem.

Sometime doing reverse BB curls will work around the area under stress in the forearms.  Reverse BB curls are another forgotten exercise that is an excellent bicep builder. Can try Hammer curls  (if you haven't already), giving a different twist to the wrist, thumbs being face up. Or when curling use a false grip. Meaning don't place the thumbs around the bar, let the bar rest in a light grip of the fingers.   Good Luck

F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!