Author Topic: Barbell triceps extensions, grip distance.  (Read 4128 times)

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
Barbell triceps extensions, grip distance.
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »
I have been doing barbell tricep extensions lately with an ez bar, and i noticed that having your grip about shoulder width on the turn makes the movement far more easier. Does this take emphasis off of the tricep ans bring other muscles in to play? Best to keep as narrow grip as possible?
Trans Milkshake.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Barbell triceps extensions, grip distance.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:22 AM »
 :o
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »
 ;D on the inner grip in my opinion....
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
Usually most triceps exercises are best performed with a close grip...........one exception is pressdowns where it is OK to vary the grip at time,but for the most part,a close grip is used for training tris.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
I have been doing barbell tricep extensions lately with an ez bar, and i noticed that having your grip about shoulder width on the turn makes the movement far more easier. Does this take emphasis off of the tricep ans bring other muscles in to play? Best to keep as narrow grip as possible?

I've never tried them this way. Maybe they are "easier." Or, the wider grip may offer you better leverage for your individual biomechanics.
Personally, I can think of no disadvantage to doing them this way. A wider grip will also aford you an easier time keeping your elbows pointed forward rather than obliquely, which used to be one of the "Ten Commandments" of overhead extensions outlined in many men's health magazines. ::) ;D

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:19:23 AM »

I've never tried them this way. Maybe they are "easier." Or, the wider grip may offer you better leverage for your individual biomechanics.
Personally, I can think of no disadvantage to doing them this way. A wider grip will also aford you an easier time keeping your elbows pointed forward rather than obliquely, which used to be one of the "Ten Commandments" of overhead extensions outlined in many men's health magazines. ::) ;D

I'm stronger on everything with wide grip, Bench, pull ups, dips, it's strange.

I always thought that you should keep grip as narrow as possible with extensions, but if it isn't bringing other muscles in then i can use more weight with a wider grip.

Trans Milkshake.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
use Dbs.
Boundary Breaker

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
Using more weight is not the pure BB'ers main goal. It's putting the most tension on the individual muscle group being worked. Which can be accomplished quite well, with a lighter weight, when understanding a muscles true function. It's the direct Time Under Tension (TUT) thing.....again.

If finding a wider grip , for the overhead tricep extensions,makes things easier, than might apply a closer grip to make the triceps work harder with the better focus on that muscle group. Which may require a lighter weight on the EZ/BB/DB.  Or whatever you favor. Good Luck.
F

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
Using more weight is not the pure BB'ers main goal. It's putting the most tension on the individual muscle group being worked. Which can be accomplished quite well, with a lighter weight, when understanding a muscles true function. It's the direct Time Under Tension (TUT) thing.....again.

If finding a wider grip , for the overhead tricep extensions,makes things easier, than might apply a closer grip to make the triceps work harder with the better focus on that muscle group. Which may require a lighter weight on the EZ/BB/DB.  Or whatever you favor. Good Luck.

I do use really slow negatives and agree with the connection aspect, my first few years training suffered for a lack of this.

A close grip puts a lot of pressure on my wrists for some reason. I have really light bone structure but tend to lift heavy, so sometimes my joints will hurt.

It feels like it hits the long head the same to me, but i was alittle uncertain.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Trans Milkshake.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
I would use any grip that doesn't aggravate your wrists and elbows. For me it's a closer grip, for someone else it might be wider. Don't force using a grip that causes you pain even if it does hit your triceps better. Try different bars too, even a small change in the angle of the curve makes a difference.

Also, if you have been using curl bars, try them with a straight bar and see how you like it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
 just ask yourself wwjd= what would jay do?
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
my elbows are healthy after years of pain... can't bring myself to start using any extension movements again....

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
 ;D
F

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
;D

Yep top pic is the grip that feels best to me lol
Trans Milkshake.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Elbows in or out? What do you guys prefer?

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
Elbows in or out? What do you guys prefer?

all the way in. Using Dbs ofcourse.
Boundary Breaker