Author Topic: Training  (Read 6554 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Training
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »
Wooo, what type of running program do you do in general. How many days a week, daily and weekly miles? Do you do running intervals on some days? Do you run on a lifting day? 

I also try to run and lift. It's a really tough combo. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
i agree that it's tough... i'm also focusing on cardio to shed weight so it's even harder (although as i get lighter the running is a bit easier).

i am using the push-pull routine i posted earlier on, training is 1 day on, 1 day off... i run on the off days

currently training for a 5km race, so i run 3 different sets of intervals, run 1 is 5mph & 6mph alternating, run 2 is 5&7 and last is pace at 6...

interval difficulty is increased weekly... so far so good... the reason i am only focusing on the 5km run is 'sprint' nature of the event... my goal is to be under 22 minutes by October of this year, at the same time I am focusing on maintaining peak strength in key movements... while i am not doing low reps, i am focused on things like doing 3 sets of 20 with 225 on bench press...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
i agree that it's tough... i'm also focusing on cardio to shed weight so it's even harder (although as i get lighter the running is a bit easier).

i am using the push-pull routine i posted earlier on, training is 1 day on, 1 day off... i run on the off days

currently training for a 5km race, so i run 3 different sets of intervals, run 1 is 5mph & 6mph alternating, run 2 is 5&7 and last is pace at 6...

interval difficulty is increased weekly... so far so good... the reason i am only focusing on the 5km run is 'sprint' nature of the event... my goal is to be under 22 minutes by October of this year, at the same time I am focusing on maintaining peak strength in key movements... while i am not doing low reps, i am focused on things like doing 3 sets of 20 with 225 on bench press...

You can do 3 sets of 20 reps with 225lbs in the bench??? If you're going all the way down to touch your chest and not doing half reps that's amazing.  60 reps total reps with 225lbs is incredible. Most strong benchers  couldn't do one set of 20 reps with that weight.

I'm thinking about doing a small town 5K in June. My goal is to break 22 minutes. I could win my age group with that time. When I was young I could have run an 18 minute 5 K any day of the week even though I was a sprinter. 

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Im taking it that you guys think its a bad routine......i hope not but if so could anyone give me some tips on how to gain some shoulder size? My shoulders have always been a weak point when compared to the rest of my body. As an example during the most muscular pose my shoulders tend to flatten out in front and my rear delts ALWAYS look flat or non existing from the sides no matter what i do to bring that up.

jakesonyou

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
Im taking it that you guys think its a bad routine......i hope not but if so could anyone give me some tips on how to gain some shoulder size? My shoulders have always been a weak point when compared to the rest of my body. As an example during the most muscular pose my shoulders tend to flatten out in front and my rear delts ALWAYS look flat or non existing from the sides no matter what i do to bring that up.
don't compare shoulders to steroid users or growth hormone abusers!  There is no way to get the 3 dimensional deltoid without using growth hormone.  Steroids by themselves will get the delt some dimension and roundness, but not until you use hormones will they be bulging and noticeable!

As a natural you need to work all parts of the shoulder.  Many people just work the front delts.  You need to work the side and rear delts too!  Dumbbell lateral raises made my shoulders great!  Do one side at a time.  Slow and do it until you can't do anymore!  Cable laterals are also very good.

Rear delts I like reverse pec.  Face pulls are another great one.

I don't do much on the front delts anymore.  Standing strict military press and shoulder press are my norm.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 05:45:57 AM »
My humble opinion is you are over working your front delts. your first 3 ex hit the front delts. Do Chest and shoulders together. after Incline presses your front Delts are hit big time, Concentrate on side raises and rear delt raises. I do not see the need to do front raises in your routine after front presses..and upright rows...better shrugs.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
Ok so i have cut out the front raises after last weeks workout since my front delts were hurting very badly for about 3 days straight. so now i only do front presses,upright rows rear delt flyes side raises and face pulls along with shrugs

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »
Try this on for size:

Chest and hams day one

Back and calves day two

rest   day three

delts day four

quads day five

arms  day six

rest day seven

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »
So many ways to train. So many splits and then there's whole body routines. I think an over simplification of training protocols is this. Training with really heavy weights and low sets like HIT you should train a body part once a week. There is no real definition of HIT but I would call it doing one to two work sets per exercise. If you train with volume holding back in the early sets it seems to work better hitting the body parts twice to three times a week.

Also the body is never truly isolated even when training body parts. Fatigue is systemic and multiple body parts are needed to accomplish any athletic goal. An example of this is that you cannot do a pulling movement without the bicep and any pushing movement involves the triceps.

Look at all the various splits many have used with success. You can split the body in two like this example. Legs, chest and tricep. Next training session back, delts and biceps. The many three way splits like chest and back; legs and then delts/arms. Also there's the popular chest and arms; legs and back/delts. Some split a four way like one day chest. The next back. The next legs and last day delt and arms. Some do to this extreme of a five day split. Monday-chest; Tuesday-back;Wednesday-delts; Thursday-legs, and Friday-arms.

I have some health issues and I hope to be well soon but this is what I am doing. Monday-Chest and back. Tuesday-legs and Wednesday is delt and arms. Then two days off then I will do chest and back on Saturday. Monday I begin again but I pick up where I left off so I will start with legs and so on.  So every week each body part gets one day or two days that are rotated. I also do a lot of cardio that anymore lifting than this would interfere with.