Author Topic: Florida atheists ‘unbless’ highway with ‘unholy water’  (Read 17376 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Paranoid anti-religious extremists. 

Florida atheists ‘unbless’ highway with ‘unholy water’
Published March 18, 2012

LAKELAND, Fla. –  A group of atheists in Florida spent part of their weekend washing away a blessing placed upon a local highway by a religious group.

Armed with brooms, mops and "unholy water," the atheists gathered Saturday to symbolically clean up holy oil that Polk Under Prayer put down on Highway 98 near the Pasco-Polk county line last year, Bay News 9 reported.

"We come in peace," Humanists of Florida director Mark Palmer announced before he and members of other atheist organizations launched their cleanup. "Now that's normally what aliens say when they visit a new planet, but we're not aliens, we're atheists!"

According to the report, Palmer said Polk Under Prayer's blessing "sends a very bad signal to everyone in Polk County, and [anyone] who travels through Polk County who doesn't happen to be Christian."

The unblessing project, he explained, was "not about atheist rights" but about "welcoming everybody into Polk County."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/18/florida-atheists-unbless-highway-with-unholy-water/

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Florida atheists ‘unbless’ highway with ‘unholy water’
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »

According to the report, Palmer said Polk Under Prayer's blessing "sends a very bad signal to everyone in Polk County, and [anyone] who travels through Polk County who doesn't happen to be Christian."

This part is true. 

After I drove over the blessing area, I got a strange sensation as though everybody in the county hated me and I was unwelcome.  Gas stations wouldn't sell me gas.  Grocers wouldn't sell me food.  And at least 3 dogs gave me an evil glare.

Or, maybe that's the story I'm going with if I ever visit Polk County.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
Lol.
Ive noticed that Atheists tend to not be very tolerant of anyone else.
Ive also noticed that they tend to be the same ones that preach tolerance of all people, especially muslims.
Strange.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
you can't lump together all atheists just like you can't lump together all christians or all people who believe in a god or religion

btw - I suspect the unblessing was just as effective as the original blessing

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »
Lol.
Ive noticed that Atheists tend to not be very tolerant of anyone else.
Ive also noticed that they tend to be the same ones that preach tolerance of all people, especially muslims.
Strange.

Not really! They're tolerant of Muslims, because the Muslims will get medieval on them, if they tried HALF the stuff on them that they do with Christians.

Plus, a number of atheists think that, if Americans stand up against certain Muslim tenets or monuments, then they can use those arguments against Christian ones.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
Reminds me of the "De-Baptism" thread.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=289820.0

R

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »

If Bill Maher said it, then it must be true.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
So, so childish. I'ts disheartening to see 'adults' stoop to such idiocy.

What exactly did they achieve from this, besides looking like fools and annoying people?

These are supposed to be rational, objective people yet they have probably never given a thought to how ineffective their actions are... or what they are even trying to accomplish.
follow the arrows

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »
If Bill Maher said it, then it must be true.

I disagree with Maher on a lot of stuff

how about you and Jesus (or other humans tellling you what he said about how you should conduct your life) ?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
I disagree with Maher on a lot of stuff

how about you and Jesus (or other humans tellling you what he said about how you should conduct your life) ?

Like what, for example?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
Like what, for example?

you wanna do just the words in red or the entire bible?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:50 AM »
you wanna do just the words in red or the entire bible?

Sorry!  I don't think I understand what you are saying here.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
Sorry!  I don't think I understand what you are saying here.  

words in red print in some versions of the  bible are supposedly the words of Jesus (so I've read)

are you familiar with that

btw  -  this is all in response to your comment that "If Bill Maher said it, then it must be true"

As I've said, I don't agree with Maher on many things although I have no objection to what he said in the clip that I posted

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
words in red print in some versions of the  bible are supposedly the words of Jesus (so I've read)

are you familiar with that

btw  -  this is all in response to your comment that "If Bill Maher said it, then it must be true"

As I've said, I don't agree with Maher on many things although I have no objection to what he said in the clip that I posted

I see, I think!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
So, so childish. I'ts disheartening to see 'adults' stoop to such idiocy.

What exactly did they achieve from this, besides looking like fools and annoying people?

These are supposed to be rational, objective people yet they have probably never given a thought to how ineffective their actions are... or what they are even trying to accomplish.

Probably the point they were making..which is they look no sillier than the first group

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:30 AM »
Paranoid anti religious extremists

Last year, area religious leaders formed a group, Polk Under Prayer (PUP), that decided to bless the Pasco-Polk county line along Highway 98. PUP’s director said the act was done so that “God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county.”

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »
Paranoid anti religious extremists

Last year, area religious leaders formed a group, Polk Under Prayer (PUP), that decided to bless the Pasco-Polk county line along Highway 98. PUP’s director said the act was done so that “God would protect us from evildoers, mainly the drug crowd, that they would be dissuaded to come in to the county.”
Did it work? Yes = God exists.

Did it work? No = God works in mysterious ways.

Does that cover it?

G

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:58 AM »
I get that it's silly but aren't you being extremist to suggest a silly show with a mop and water is extremist?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
I get that it's silly but aren't you being extremist to suggest a silly show with a mop and water is extremist?

No.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
How much of an extremist do you have to be to bless a highway in the first place?

And then what?  When someone gets killed on it, how do you explain that little accident?  The blessing expired?

I mean, this is nothing more than subtle mockery directed at the religious group for their actions first.  You can't point fingers, roll eyes, or laugh at the atheists for doing this unless you do the same for the religious group in their own actions.  Otherwise you are just a hypocrite.  But then again, most religious nuts are anyway.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »

Florida atheists ‘unbless’ highway with ‘unholy water’
Published March 18, 2012

LAKELAND, Fla. –  A group of atheists in Florida spent part of their weekend washing away a blessing placed upon a local highway by a religious group.

Armed with brooms, mops and "unholy water," the atheists gathered Saturday to symbolically clean up holy oil that Polk Under Prayer put down on Highway 98 near the Pasco-Polk county line last year, Bay News 9 reported.

"We come in peace," Humanists of Florida director Mark Palmer announced before he and members of other atheist organizations launched their cleanup. "Now that's normally what aliens say when they visit a new planet, but we're not aliens, we're atheists!"

The unblessing project, he explained, was "not about atheist rights" but about "welcoming everybody into Polk County."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/18/florida-atheists-unbless-highway-with-unholy-water/

Go get em Florida atheists!!  Consider that highway officially unblessed!!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
why was my post deleted, who is the shitty moderator, WHO, WHO wont wear the ribbon?

fact of the matter is that these religious folk have no right blessing public property, why can't you guys just keep to yourselves? why do you think you have to right to do shit like this? just like the nativity scenes in washington, you are not special and deserve nothing.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
why was my post deleted, who is the shitty moderator, WHO, WHO wont wear the ribbon?

fact of the matter is that these religious folk have no right blessing public property, why can't you guys just keep to yourselves? why do you think you have to right to do shit like this? just like the nativity scenes in washington, you are not special and deserve nothing.
its public property, they can do whatever they want. Just as the atheist idiots can come in and unbless it

mods, please remove the above post. i've had enough of this shit
follow the arrows

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »
its public property, they can do whatever they want. Just as the atheist idiots can come in and unbless it

mods, please remove the above post. i've had enough of this shit

LMPO, thats what i'm saying it's everyone's property, you have to be pretty self-absorbed to do shit like this, you have to believe you are special.

everyone involved is an idiot, but the first group are dangerous idiots.