Author Topic: stupid ppl ondumbasses on the heck squat  (Read 9057 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
stupid ppl ondumbasses on the heck squat
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:26:26 PM »
hey guys
today was my legs day. you know the usual squats, leg presses, extensions.  the squat rack is next to the heck squat and at the corner of my eye. i noticed a guy dooing  a 1/4 heck squat. the guy was barely bending hes knees.  I was like " why would you lie to yourself or robb your legs for a good workout" in  my mind. alast month i was doing calves, and saw a chick doing the same thing.  what is wrong with ppl.  these days. i go heavy but  not at the cost of breaking form.

Ledd

• Getbig III
Re: stupid ppl ondumbasses on the heck squat
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:51:58 PM »
well I wonder if those people are doing weak point training or something.  Theres a buff little guy in my gym who I saw on the leg press the other day doing reps with 500lbs, he was only going a quarter of the way.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 06:51:03 PM »
i wonder if those people know you're supposed to spell "rob" with only one b...
:-)

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:56:32 PM »
i wonder if those people know you're supposed to spell "rob" with only one b...

or "doing" with one o...

JUSTJAXX

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 08:30:20 PM »
and hack with no E

seriously, we cant go around and correct everyone in the gym, so stop worrying about it.  the only time i trip off someones form is when i see them doing something that will get them hurt, other than that, i just let them be.  and i dont dwell on it if i see something stupid.

by being regulars in the gym, we tend to take it for granted that we know what we're doing in there.  we forget that it took us a while to learn proper form, rep and set schemes...sometimes, i sit and wonder why they're there if they dont know how to use the equipment.  bottom line, they're all in the gym for one reason (i hope) which is to get in better shape.  if all you're going to do is make fun of them, then its not a great representation of our sport/culture/lifestyle.  norcal, did you offer them any advice about full extension or bother to ask if they were doing partials?  after my squats, i reset the pins on the rack so i can do partials, does this mean if you were to see me in the gym and only see my sets of partials, you'd be making fun of me also?

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:44:51 PM »
thats so true.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 04:21:11 AM »
Partial reps can be beneficial,
you just have to know ho to use them. If they're just people who tend to make a lot of noise pretending moving a shitload of weight,
ignore them, that's an international phenomenal.

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 06:52:20 AM »
I have learned in my yrs of training, only give advice when asked. Some people get offended when you offer advice when they didn't even ask you.
We all started somewhere in our training, maybe yrs ago people were saying look at his/her form and talking about us.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 08:03:31 AM »
I'll only give advice to young fellas when I see them trying to use the hack/leg press equipment in reverse positions!!! :o ;D

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 08:51:24 AM »
The few times I have gone to a commerical gym/spa/socal meeting clubs/ pick-up  places/voyeur rooms or what ever you want to call fitness centers (I believe that's the current political correct term, Fitness Centers...if they have a full stocked juice/protein shake bar, a hot young chick at the sign in desk, too many usless machines taking up too much space and a whole lot of mirror's on every wall, than I know it's a Fitness Center. ) I pretty much mind my own business. Good or bad, I don't really care if someone is doing something wrong  short of  endangering their life or limb or some one else's.  It's the responability of the floor manager and his help staff to be watching everyone  who attempts to use the equipement there. That's one of the reason that the libelability insurance (CYA) is so high in most of these's crome palace's. Most of these Fitness Centers get bombarded with personal law suites every year anyway.

I'll help a friend (or some one I know )  go through a training program they ask me to help them with, and that will usually be at one of the Fitness Centers. They'll join on a short term bases (always a good idea to take the shortest program offered in case that FC is not to your liking  or you discover that working out is not really for you). I'll run them through once on a full workout and write down some reminder's about their exercises and how their preformed, that's about it.  I'm am not a PT but I do work with a lot of college (and a few highschool) athlete's. If a stranger asked me for a few pointer I may reply in kind. Good Luck.

candidate 2025

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 10:02:57 AM »
how far do yall go down on hack squats, anyways?

and leg presses?

i know that on leg presses i usually use about 800-1000 pounds to workout with....and i bring my nees back about a foot....(partially because of the off season cushioning..lol)

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 10:29:53 AM »
If your Ab is to big right now try doing CrabLeg Presses. Feet all the way to the edge of plateform and toes pointed outward fullrange of motion. There is no excuse for not using proper form..
Thaiboxing,Bjj

Steeljunky

• Getbig II
  • D's...Nuts
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 11:40:39 AM »
Big E is right only give advice when asked. I learned my lesson when I noticed this idiot struggling on the flat bench. He took the bar down and went Ummmmmmph!!!. I went over to spot him and he muttered " GET AWAY!! DON'T TOUCH IT!!!! " My 265lb ass left his little 150lb butt there. 2 minutes later 2 gym employees dug the bar out of his chest for him.
Call me BigPapa

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 09:11:57 PM »
Not to sound boastful, or anything, but i really DO know what i'm doing to the point where i've become something of an icon in my gym.

But, i'll never forget where i started, pinned under a 95-lb bench attempt, using miserable form to get that bad boy off me. 

Weightlifting helps us grow more than just in the physical aspect.

619Rules

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 10:22:51 PM »
I have learned in my yrs of training, only give advice when asked. Some people get offended when you offer advice when they didn't even ask you.

And some people get offended when you dont have a clue as to the advice you're giving out, like when grandma told me the "corect" way to do lateral raises.

Never give advice-unless asked.

JUSTJAXX

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 03:41:54 AM »
we all know that the mainstream fitness world is years behind the bodybuilding world.  someone with even the most basic knowledge of training principles will generally know more than your average fitness center member.  maybe i look at it slightly different as i'm studying toward my certification so i see some of these folks who arent doing things right as potential clients, so it works two ways...first i'm able to do a good deed by helping someone and second, i could possibly make some money off his ass...but as i stated earlier, i'd never just start randomly offering advice...cant and dont wanna be the gym "know-it-all"

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 03:56:18 AM »
It's easy to spot if someone needs help. And sometimes a chat helps to teach/correct them in a few things, and direct them to internet for decent information.

For most sports there are different kind of boards, and they usually give a decent advice.
Aksing them gently if a machine is free, and a reaction you get tells a lot. And I'm not the guy you want to walk over (255lbs).

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »
If your Ab is to big right now try doing CrabLeg Presses. Feet all the way to the edge of plateform and toes pointed outward fullrange of motion. There is no excuse for not using proper form..

thanks. ill try to move my feet outwards next time, although they are growing quite rapidly already, i dont think it will hurt.

and what about hack squats? how far down should be going? becdause when i try to go to far it just absolutely kills my kneees....horrible.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 10:51:28 PM »
I never get knee pains on hack squats, and I go rock bottom with every rep.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 05:06:48 AM »
i saw some guys doing hacks with the bench under them i was geez hacks oh one of them was wearing jeans how do you squat in jeans!

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 06:48:11 AM »

i saw some guys doing hacks with the bench under them
i was geez hacks oh one of them was wearing jeans
how do you squat in jeans!

Seen (some pretty big) guys squating in bluejeans in my time in gym.

When I lived in Texas (which I loved - not dissing)
there were a group of guys that lifted (and squatted)
in bluejeans. They were also the ones that had a
cooler of beer in the backs of their pick-up trucks...
I dunno (?pre? and) post work out (?carb?) drinks.

I don't stand in judgement (of them) - I just could not understand it.
1 life 1 liver

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 07:46:08 AM »
I never get knee pains on hack squats, and I go rock bottom with every rep.

well aren't you special.

i do get slight knee pain, but it doesn't inhibit my ROM or anything.  It's more MCL/ACL than patella pain though (patella pain is what i get from squats).