Author Topic: bodybuilder switching to powerlifting  (Read 3741 times)

_Homer_

bodybuilder switching to powerlifting
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:26:33 AM »
Hi to all,

I want to know what do you think of this routine i put together.
First of all 3 things:

-I'm 31 and lifetime natural
-I've alway had problems with overtraining
-I can't squat, not because I'm lazy, but because I have a very little range of motin due to my ankles,so my back leans very very forward.

MONDAY
Deadlift 4 sets of 6/4reps
Chins    4 sets of max
Curls     4 sets of 6/8

THURSDAY
Dips     4 sets of max
Bench press 4 sets of 6/4 reps
Military press 4 sets of 6/8 reps

--------------what do you think?--------------

thanks

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
Re: bodybuilder switching to powerlifting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:27:15 AM »
You train twice a week, and have problems with overtraining? I think you have some serious issue with your diet and/or alcohol.

What kind of deadlift do you perform if you can't bend your ankles? Eventually if you want to go heavy you have to bent you legs a Little bit. I'm not a fan of the stiff(locked)legs DL.
Why don't I see any kind of leg training?
It maybe adds up and you're not overtrained. Legs are your biggest musclegroup. If you want to grow, make sure you have a good set of wheels. If you can't squat, you can hacksquat or legpress. Not the best exercise, but it's a decent surrogate.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 01:14:47 PM »
i tend to bend too far forward while doing squats. i am very flexable but for some reason when i do back squats i just never feel right UNTIL i started squating with my heals on a 2x4. the very first time i tried using a 2x4 i got one of the best leg workouts ever. this might not be the best idea for powerlifting but it made a world of difference for me.

8)

Smokey MacPot

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 01:39:30 PM »
I stopped doing squats first in my routine as I had done for years. Now I do heavy leg presses first when I have the most energy, then squats and my legs have grown. I feel that leg presses work the legs better than squats.

loler

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 02:22:06 PM »
i tend to bend too far forward while doing squats. i am very flexable but for some reason when i do back squats i just never feel right UNTIL i started squating with my heals on a 2x4. the very first time i tried using a 2x4 i got one of the best leg workouts ever. this might not be the best idea for powerlifting but it made a world of difference for me.

8)

this is an issue with hamstring flexibility
start stretching them daily

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 02:33:38 PM »
I'd suggest you stop going to max reps all the time.

Instead, during a transition period, try doing 4-5 sets of 5-6 reps, make sure to have good speed on all reps. It will prevent you from going too heavy.

Drop dips, and do close grip benchpresses instead. Drop the military press as well.

Then start doing the benchpress routine twice a week. Mondays and Fridays. Do the Squat on with the Monday workout and Deadlift with the Friday workout. Include one ab excersise in the benchpress workouts.

Just some suggestions, to get you to gradually increase the frequency of your training, and stop this habit of going to failure.

IMO, you should never have a slow lift in practice, when you're a powerlifter. All lifts need to be explosive, since the recovery time is so long for the CNS.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »
I think you're a big fat pussy.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha